• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many peeps here actually go to the General Anime subforum, but here's a post that pretty much nips this on the bud about that Space Dandy tweet:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4170372#4170372
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with Space Dandy (which I loved to look at but hated to listen to) was that the dub felt very adult-swim in all the worst ways. It takes a particular knack to pull off the sort of flat 4th-wall 'dumb humor' that the dub felt like it was going for (and the original presumably was too, to whatever extent) and this dub just wasn't up to the task. I'm certainly going to keep watching, but I'm making a note to check out the sub version and see if it 'feels' any better.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the first episode of Seitokai Yakuindomo was ok, but it felt weird that they felt the need to reintroduce everybody. It's the second season, not to mention the OVAs. I guess since they didn't change the title much (an asterisk? really?) they guessed that some people would come in blind.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Question: Will shorts be grouped together or also get their own page? I ask mostly because, in the other review guides, they were given rather short reviews or grouped together, as there wasn't enough content. I like the set-up up of this guide, though. I think more than the 'by author' way. (Side note: I think the "check out our list" isn't working, at least for me.)

So far, I've watched Double Circle, Nobunaga the Fool, Noragami, and Tonari no Seki-kun. I plan to watch Space Dandy and Nobunagun later today. Double Circle (streaming here for people interested) is kind of lame, which is to be expected, considering it's produced by Toshiba and Kawasaki city. And it's about clean energy or something. However, I only knew that much going into it, so the scene ~2 before the end left me smiling at its absurdity. I thought it was going to be a slice of life where archetypal characters spread the good word on carbon neutrality.

Nobunaga the Fool is a mish-mash of things, but I'm not sure how they'll come together. Of course, maybe they were just trying to get the ball rolling, hence the rocky start. I'll stick with it to see if it improves. I loved Jeanne's West Star village. Noragami is off to an okay start, and I like the designs. I expect the plot to push forward after the third protagonist/weapon boy is introduced. Seems like the first few episodes will work to establish the characters. Tonari no Seki-kun was cute enough, but something about the heroine rubs me the wrong way. Nothing that would keep me from continuing with it, though.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to clear up the whole Space Dandy tweet thing:

Bahi deletes most of his tweets that are conversations with individuals. I was talking to him about Trigun (and Space Dandy) yesterday and he deleted that too. It doesn't necessarily mean anything that he deleted those tweets. His tumblr about it explains his full view anyway. It was just one rewrite that wasn't very good in a dub that's otherwise strong.

I think it's kind of sad that the first thing he's getting a lot of talk about was that one comment, as opposed to the actually interesting and important things he's done. That's the internet for you I guess Rolling Eyes

http://i.imgur.com/L9p5kUU.jpg

^These are his Space Dandy ep 1 cuts (or images to guide you to find them). Beautifully dynamic in motion.

All this is is people acting like little crabby old ladies and using it to justify flinging around the old sub/dub war.

For my personal take on that war, let me say that I think subs make you miss a lot visually. The visual nuances that you miss by having to look down at those subtitles as opposed to at the visuals you should be looking at are actually about on par (in terms of amount; what you miss specifically is very different) with how much you miss from a dub that has bad delivery or a couple of rewrites that don't make a lot of sense.

Actually, I've recently learned that I miss about as much watching things subbed as I do watching them raw in a show that is very art and animation focused. I understand some Japanese, but most of the finer details are lost on me, but in a show that has a lot of really cool shot composition, nuanced animation, and interesting things in the frame, for example the recent Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta, seeing it without subs made me catch a lot more.

I'm only mentioning this because strangely I've never seen this mentioned in the sub/dub argument, and it's the man issue for me.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic call! It's much better this way IMO, I always try reading it by show, so I wind up opening everyone on different tabs and jumping between them. This way will be much easier!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So really, perhaps the issue here is not that Sonico began her life as a cute mascot character – it is that no effort was made to take her beyond that. The seeds of a better character and an actual plot are there, it is only that no one bothered to water them, even with their drool as they looked at the heroine in a barely-there bikini.

This really seems like an end-of-series sort of complaint. Its episode 1. We've been introduced to her, found out what her daily life is like, and now we can move forward.

Now, its quite possible that she won't go anywhere as a character, but episode 1 is really much to early to make that assertion.
zeonozero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I like this new format, everything is easier to see, since it's more condensed

I didn't like how it was split up between the reviewers, because I wanted to see the shows review personally. I don't favor one reviewer over the other, I take everyone's opinions, but I definitely want help about which shows I should take a look at

Thanks ANN for the new look.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
I guess since they didn't change the title much (an asterisk? really?)

Lol I guess you don't remember what an asterisk represents in this show? Just remember why they always censor the opening of the suggestion box. I think it is a brilliant take on the added punctuation mark shows use for their second season.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Just added in a new feature: every show's page now has a survey where you can add your score and see how other users scored the show on the Preview Guide scale.

Let me know if this is something y'all want!
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The Pilot's Love Song and Noragami are the only ones that interest me so far. I love the new format and Zac's idea above is a definite winner.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just added in a new feature: every show's page now has a survey where you can add your score and see how other users scored the show on the Preview Guide scale.

Let the chaos... begin!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I like it. results will become available once the preview guide is over?

Last edited by getchman on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
First off, I really like the inclusion of polls. Neat feature and I hope future Preview Guides keep it.

As for the shows I've watched so far:

Noragami is probably my favorite so far. I like the setting, the action, the characters, and the voice acting is a lot of fun. Hoping it keeps up this level of quality. 4/5

Space Dandy started off pretty uneven, but the sheer spectacle was enough to keep me interested. Hopefully its simul-dub will do well on Toonami.

Nobunagun is some brainless fun. Not much to say outside of finding the cheap art design kind of charming.

The Pilots Love Song tried to fit too much in a single episode. The cheesy stuff with Kal-el and Claire was cute, but I'm almost certain the silver-haired guy is going to be a pain to watch.

Nobunaga the Fool felt like it was taking itself too seriously for how silly a premise it has, and didn't have the writing to back up how epic it was trying to be.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual was some steaming garbage as far as I'm concerned. Keeping far, far away from that show.

Not much else is grabbing me from previews so far, but I'm hopeful that Nisekoi, Hamatora, and Inari, Konkon Koi Iroha will be entertaining.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy was pretty bad. Yeah the first half was pretty terrible with it's constant meta jokes that went on and on to the point of losing whatever little bite they had.

I guess the 2nd half came, but other then some nice animation nothing much changed. Yes everything looked cool, but who cares if your watching unlikable things? So far I really don't like any of these characters and don't really care to see them again. Doesn't help that the dub is by Funimation.

I knew going in that Space Dandy was going to be a comedy and that was cause for concern. While other Watanabe shows certainly had comedy in them, they were hardly at the center. Good storytelling came first. Bebop's humor was mostly smart and subtle. Which nothing in Space Dandy was. It was filled with very dumb humor. It's a comedy anime that is unfunny and that sucks.

Of course you can use the "it's stupid" excuse. No, I don't buy it. Kill La Kill is fun and earnestly stupid. Sure it also likes to repeat dumb pervert family jokes, but it has so much creativity and fun in it's creation and it goes all the way with it's crazy ideas that are stupid that you can only have fun with it.

Space Dandy doesn't and was just an unfunny bore. Pretty disappointed.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 47