• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Might be a good time to say I have never used the term "forced animation" ever because it makes no sense. Don't wanna read back through the thread to see whatever other dumb accusations you guys are throwing around about a 400 word review of one episode of a cartoon, but I can tell you the bit about me saying "forced animation" is completely made up if anyone would bother to check sources. I've never written that anywhere.

The original quote was comparing "forced drama" to other "buzzwords", quoting you and providing "equivalently" empty terms. On /a/, and probably other places, attaching "forced" to things is a popular sort of joke, the point being that it's lazy and often meaningless. "Forced animation" is a particularly silly thing to accuse an anime of having and is almost always done in jest.

Incidentally, though, here's a rare example of forced animation, similar I think to the "over animation" TehDarkPrince was referring to.

Which review does Hope use the words "forced drama"?

A lot of that YoKou sequence works fine, but it becomes really mushy during that last 3-character shot. More than one character or bits of follow-through are moving while only one is speaking-- you don't know where your attention should be. It's hard to analyze it after multiple viewings since you can predict whats going to happen. I think it happens a lot in anime dialogue sequences, especially mundane ones like the link, since they aren't assigned to talented/experienced animators who are accustomed to action, whether it's a run, a fight scene, or a henshin.

I thought that link was Takeuchi at first, it's so reminiscent of his jerky, exaggerated follow through and secondary action. Which episode or movie of Nanoha is that from? (I've never watched it).
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
goldensneer wrote:

What does it say about the series' marketing side of things when their 2D counterparts are flashing their panties like it's going out of style?

Why the hell does this even matter? None of this comes into play for me when I watched the show. It doesn't matter what the context is outside of the show to me because I didn't see any of that when I watched it. If you people didn't keep bringing up the real life counterparts I would have never known this was based on a real group. And frankly even knowing this, I don't care, one single bit. It told a very good story so I'll keep watching it.

I'm hoping that WUG would address the Japanese entertainment and idol industry in a much more honest and critical fashion than the more saccharine, self-congratulatory or self-promoting way that Idolm@ster, Love Live!, and the worst offender, AKB0048, treats idolhood. The muted tone, deliberate pace, and a lot of the character development (such as mayu) in WUG led me to think this was going to be a more realistic portrayal of idols, that isn't afraid to portray it's dark side.

If its promoting a real life counterpart, than its possible that the series will avoid tackling darker themes and issues reminiscent of (an extreme example) Minami Minegishi, trying to have a romantic relationship under the pressure of having to remain appearing virginal, group politics, or all the other stuff that comes with being an idol/entertainer. I'm not disparaging other idol anime necessarily, but something more realistic, that wasn't so self-serving towards idols could be interesting.

That being said, I hate AKB0048-- and as an aside, Mayu felt VERY similar to Eri in Love Live!, but I guess it's an archetype that goes back to Kyuzo in Seven Samurai, and probably much earlier than me uneducated self cares to know.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Watched a few more new shows, as well as 2nd episodes of a few other ones.

Witchcraft Works was better than expected, especially seeing a lot of the reviews and comments here. Yes, the female lead is a trope, but at the same time her being taller, and the male MC being the "princess" is a fun inversion. The bland MC is already showing improvement in episode two, and the series avoids "misunderstandings" that could have happened in character actions through intelligence. I guess we'll see how quickly he takes to magic with being trained. The setup reminds me of Pai and Yakumo from 3x3 Eyes.

D-Frag is of course going to be mostly about the wacky hijinks, but ep2 makes an admirable movement of character depth and plot within the framework of the series. Roka and Takao are both good at heart.

Shinkoukei I really enjoyed. No, it's not very standout, but what slice of life really has a standout plot? I was actually impressed with how it was based on a 4koma, yet kept me engaged the entirety of the episode. The scene transitions were done much better than something like say, Yakuindomo S2, and dogakobo shows off more of its wonderful character animation like we saw in Love Lab. You can certainly see their experience coming from Shaft in making the best of smaller budgets -- the backgrounds aren't amazing, but the character motion is fluid and brings them to life. I've not read the manga at all, but presumably their one hook coming up is that her fiance and his sister are aliens or something; based upon the name of the show, the imagery in the OP/ED, and strange things like the male MC appearing out of nowhere often, and Mashiro causing interference with electronics.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
TehDarkPrince wrote:
jymmy wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Might be a good time to say I have never used the term "forced animation" ever because it makes no sense. Don't wanna read back through the thread to see whatever other dumb accusations you guys are throwing around about a 400 word review of one episode of a cartoon, but I can tell you the bit about me saying "forced animation" is completely made up if anyone would bother to check sources. I've never written that anywhere.

The original quote was comparing "forced drama" to other "buzzwords", quoting you and providing "equivalently" empty terms. On /a/, and probably other places, attaching "forced" to things is a popular sort of joke, the point being that it's lazy and often meaningless. "Forced animation" is a particularly silly thing to accuse an anime of having and is almost always done in jest.

Incidentally, though, here's a rare example of forced animation, similar I think to the "over animation" TehDarkPrince was referring to.

Which review does Hope use the words "forced drama"?

My mistake; the actual quotation was:

aereus wrote:
And using terms like "so randumb xD"

Oh yeah, Wizard Barristers was all right, too. I particularly enjoyed the action scenes. It also feels as though it's been far too long since we've had Norio Wakamoto voice a perverted mascot character.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
goldensneer wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind with Wake Up, Girls! and its fanservice is how closely related the characters are to their 3D counterparts. And that honestly makes the whole thing far more sinister than something like Zvezda could ever achieve. As other members have already pointed out, WUG is concerned with selling its living, breathing high school girl idol group as a product. The girls and their characters are meant to be seen as one and the same.

What does it say about the series' marketing side of things when their 2D counterparts are flashing their panties like it's going out of style?

First, I saw the panty flashes as being a part of the storyline: spoiler[This dance was designed to be done in full costume, with cheerleader style skirts where the "panties" are part of the skirt, but since we were screwed over so badly, we are performing here with our underwear in full view. Oh well, life goes on. We'll live!]

As to the 2D characters being "meant to be seen as one and the same" as the real girls:
2D:

3D:

Yeah! They look identical! I see what you mean. I mean... uh... How can you tell which is which again?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Yeah! They look identical! I see what you mean. I mean... uh... How can you tell which is which again?

LoL. Yea, anime characters almost NEVER look like normal Japanese people. In some rare instances they do, but the norm is no. I am amazed that some people haven't realized that yet, but the pictures you provided should make that abundantly clear. It's another reason why I always think its funny when the self-stylized anime purists talk about how anime is this special ritual that only Japanese people inherently know how to do and is purely for Japan. They see it as a kind of affirmation of things that are inherently Japanese. In reality, anime is a form of escapism, way beyond the simple entertainment escapism. There is a kind of identity escapism going on as well. That's how I see it at least.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Of course, the best way to tell who is who would be to have them flash their panties. Then we can match them by color and pattern from the anime...

Cause those were their real panties, right? That is why everybody is so upset about it. Otherwise I don't see what the issues is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
^
LOL. Now I'm left wondering what rotoscoped panties would look like.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The next new big Otaku trend! Rotoscoped Panties: The Animation, a great show combining Otaku's love of Flowers of Evil with the artistic favorite moe slice of life plot tropes! You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll cringe and curl up into a ball and want to die! Coming soon! Laughing
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
LOL. Now I'm left wondering what rotoscoped panties would look like.

I don't remember if it had panties, but it is very possible you can find out by watching "A Scanner Darkly". LOL I know there are nude scenes...
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Inari Kon Kon got a good review. I'm really enjoying the manga. However, in the review, Rebecca calls it a shoujo anime, when I'm pretty sure the manga is serialized in a seinen magazine.

Edit: Just checked and it is published in Young Ace, a seinen magazine.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Inari Kon Kon is definitely hard to pin down a genre for. It's inked by a male author AFAIK, in a seinen magazine, often tagged with the shounen genre, yet has significant shoujo and romance leanings.

Then again, seinen are often hard to categorize, which is often a good thing.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Inari Kon Kon is definitely hard to pin down a genre for. It's inked by a male author AFAIK, in a seinen magazine, often tagged with the shounen genre, yet has significant shoujo and romance leanings.

Then again, seinen are often hard to categorize, which is often a good thing.

Seinen/shoujo etc.. are not genre's, they are manga magazine demographics. So it shouldn't be hard to pin it down at all. All You have to do is look at what manga magazine its published in.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
You know if there is one thing this season has taught me, it's that I'm either a humorless husk of a person, or anime humor just isn't funny.

I've watched Space Dandy, D-Frag, Tonari no Seki-kun, No-Rin, and the farthest they've gotten humor wise is awkward chuckle, and a half-hearted one at that.

BTW is this site having some odd issues with anyone else? Like the forums are squished to the left right now, the login button doesn't work at the top of the page? It's happening in both Firefox and Chrome for me.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The Inari preview says it's streaming at Crunchy, but if you click it, it takes you to Funi.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 47