• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 3 & 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
this one. Also was just not that exciting/entertaining. Oh well, it's shounen fantasy, and at the author's age I probably would have written something similar. Only if I could actually write fiction of course.

Reki Kawahara is almost 40. He wrote SAO in his 30s.
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
rydia251 wrote:
this one. Also was just not that exciting/entertaining. Oh well, it's shounen fantasy, and at the author's age I probably would have written something similar. Only if I could actually write fiction of course.

He was born in 1974, and wrote the first volumes of SAO in 2002 from my understanding. That makes him 28. I guess we can split the difference. My statement still stands - a lot of men are still boys until about 27...
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Wow, tell us how you really feel ;0

So, the only reason you dislike Kirito as a character is because he was actually dressed down by another human being and apologized ONE TIME in his entire existence? I guess you must have been hoping for Kirito to become even more unstoppable/untouchable in this season than he was in Season 1?

Like I said, I certainly agree that Suguha started off as a weak character. However, I don't think the fact that she was in love with a Gary Stu makes her a "bitch", stupid, asinine or nonsensical. I mean, you hate a character because she fell in love with and was rebuffed by the very guy you think is the coolest man on the planet? I don't think it is that hard to understand the emotions going through Suguha, the character's, head. She is a young teen girl struggling with romance/love. She has abandonment issues with her big brother, who she looks up to and who has been ignoring her for a long time. She suddenly meets this super handsome boy who is perfect in every way, and who seems to return her affections. She falls in love with him. He rejects her. Then she finds out not only was she rejected by this perfect boy, but that he was her big brother, who was thus abandoning her all over again. She becomes overwhelmed by this and lets out all of her feelings of depression, abandonment and sorrow at the person who is at least partially (and perhaps largely) responsible for those feelings.

This all makes perfect sense to me and, I think, giving us this window into Suguha's mind and her inner turmoil made her a much more compelling figure than most of the other characters in SAO. I wish we had seen more of this in the show.

As for Kirito apologizing, I am glad that he did. Not only is he a Gary Stu, but he is also arrogant and clearly negligent in his relationships with real people that should be close to him. He was also spending a WHOLE lot of time flirting with Leafa, only to reject her after his charms worked on her and made her love him. He wants to flirt with girls other than Asuna, and then boot them to the curb once things start to get more serious so he can act like he's still faithful. He's a playa. A heartbreaker. I was glad when Suguha took him down a few notches and made him realize the error of his ways. (Yes, it sucks that she was the only one in the entire show to have the stones to do it, but I don't see why that makes her a "bitch").

I must be getting trolled. This has to be a really bad joke.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:

I must be getting trolled. This has to be a really bad joke.

Umm, no. And I'm sure you can do better than this Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
sekireinumber88 wrote:
I have to disagree with this part of the review. Kirito was the strongest player in SAO, and he was able to transfer over his abilities with Yui's help (I believe it was Yui). The girl that he loved, and fought for over the course of two years, couldn't make it out of the game like he promised. All of this makes it seem to me that he had every reason to put the NerveGear back on and save Asuna.

doubt it. that whole world getting a glitch and him falling in the second ep of the dairy dance arc, i have a nasty feeling kaiaba was behind it.

well that was the main reason behind fairy dance. to save asuna. though the whole politics of ALO i could do without, but the psuedo harem moment in ep 20 definitely made it interesting.

and most of us should be grateful that it didn't ended ala Gurren Lagann.

trilaan wrote:
I loved the first season of SAO. I love Gary Stu characters. I love undefeatable heroes that win the day no matter what. maybe I'm a bad judge of what makes good writing or any other example someone might like to use to say that it's bad writing. But whatever, I'll always feel this way.

I also loved Kirito and Asuna's relationship, which only got more beautiful with the inclusion of Yui. Seriously, it made me cry. So, generally I'm a pushover for love.

well the writing is ok, but having one character overpowered whether their a hero or villain makes it kinda stale and too much DBZ esque. though bringing Yui was a good choice too which makes them more like a family. i wont be surprised at all that if those two does have a daughter of their own she will be named Yui as well.

trilaan wrote:
Moving on, I did not love the second season of SAO because I detest sibling/familial love plots. As much as I love Japan and anime and manga, this is the one Japanese fetish I wish they could just drop or at least keep out of their mainstream entertainments.

well, welcome to the dark side of otakuism.

like it or not as long as there's otakus in this world,especially those that collect a crapload of doujins, their will always have one or two series whether their non hentai or hentai series that involves family relationships.( though now its mainly step siblings , and non blood related relationships. )

and personally i have no problem with storylines that involves romance with blood related families whether their in series like these or in real life.

trilaan wrote:
Such a thing will never happen, of course, so I'll get by with just trying to ignore it, by and large.

FYI, it DOES exist in real life. i know that all too well.

trilaan wrote:
On the plus side, Suguha did let it go in the end, to which I let out a resounding "Thank God!"

true enough, though that is why there is the fanservice OVAs as well as those fanbased doujins and fanfictions. and if you though that senario was bad, be glad your not a die hard fanfiction reader.

trilaan wrote:
In short, Leafa was good, Suguha was just another example of a tired, worn-out(and in my case) quite creepy and off-putting anime convention.

True. i would have prefered that kirito and asuna remained a couple, though i wouldnt have minded that senario for the ending. especially if they ended it ala Gurren Lagann where asuna actually died in the end.

Also i dont think she's that tired or a worn out character. sure the way she treats her childhood friend recon really bugs me , but her character is needed there for a reason , most of which was to show her airhead cousin not to be completely obsessed with the virtual world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maxlance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Happy New Year All!

I predict that the developing relationship and potential psychological twists featuring Kirito/Leafa (as opposed to Kuzuto/Suguha) will be the core draw of the series this year, despite the arc line-ups in the light novel which I doubt the anime producers will exploit this time around. Anime sib-romance is hot nowadays and I suspect the producers slyly seeded it in SAO as a coy trial balloon to test the appeal. I think they know they hooked a following. They might have to pass off the Extra Edition as omake so the pair's VR truths aren't publicly known though they might whip up some way around that with a pair double life thingie or such, but as that sib VR affair set-up is pretty unique while the concept of VR adventure worlds isn't, the show might likely milk that unique off-beat interest for all it's worth. It's different and daring and that is a big attraction for me.
Miniicy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
...A C+ while some garbage shows get a b+ or even an A..kinda biased.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I actually preferred the second half of the season. Suguha is a more emotionally-complex character than Asuna, and the pacing is significantly better now that the story has an immediate goal to reach rather than the first half's anthology approach.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that whole world getting a glitch and him falling in the second ep of the dairy dance arc, <snip>

That typo conjures up some really weird mental images... ^^;
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
that whole world getting a glitch and him falling in the second ep of the dairy dance arc, <snip>

Dairy Dance is what happens when Suguha goes clubbing without a bra on.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Thank you, I think we were all waiting for that Smile
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

The doujinshi practically writes itself!
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
rydia251 wrote:

He was born in 1974, and wrote the first volumes of SAO in 2002 from my understanding. That makes him 28. I guess we can split the difference. My statement still stands - a lot of men are still boys until about 27...
In the USA, males are boys (and females are girls) until 26 so I think you're on the money with that Wink

...that said, I was willing to cut the author a lot more slack when I was under the false impression that he wrote SAO as a wish-fulfillment power-trip vehicle when he was a young teen. I really don't want to accept that the author penned a villain who was "evil for evil's sake" (who also forgot his motivation for being evil in the first place) as well as the infamous, anatomically-incorrect "coitus with asuna" chapter.
maxlance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

That's a good one for this lounge lizard! Very Happy

Hey, on this age thing! Ever hear of Stan Lee? Most best anime and cartoons and sci-fi aren't done by spring chickens! Many anime girls/traps are voiced by women well into their 40's and even 50's. Lucky Star's sweet poor loli-wife Kanata had her songs voiced by a VA in her '60s! You never know! But doing fan art & fan fics are excellent practice and launch pads strutting your stuff for prowling scouts... Speaking of, as I requested in animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4171183&highlight=sword+art#4171183 , if anyone has any tips of really good Kirito x Leafa fanfiction please drop me a line! I need something to hold me over till season two debuts!
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
maxlance wrote:
Happy New Year All!

I predict that the developing relationship and potential psychological twists featuring Kirito/Leafa (as opposed to Kuzuto/Suguha) will be the core draw of the series this year, despite the arc line-ups in the light novel which I doubt the anime producers will exploit this time around. Anime sib-romance is hot nowadays and I suspect the producers slyly seeded it in SAO as a coy trial balloon to test the appeal. I think they know they hooked a following. They might have to pass off the Extra Edition as omake so the pair's VR truths aren't publicly known though they might whip up some way around that with a pair double life thingie or such, but as that sib VR affair set-up is pretty unique while the concept of VR adventure worlds isn't, the show might likely milk that unique off-beat interest for all it's worth. It's different and daring and that is a big attraction for me.

exactely what i was mentioning. despite people dislike of the subject, sibling relationships have been popular in the otaku community since angel sancutary and that is a really long time for one storyline to remain with otakus. wether its brother/ sister ( kirito/suguha ) or with sisters romance between sibilings will have to be expected and predicted when it comes to some popular series. sure i am glad its not regular basis, but there are time it those type of romances have its moments and this series is one of them and i wouldnt have minded those two getting together if asuna had died in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3