• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 3 & 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxlance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

exactely what i was mentioning. despite people dislike of the subject, sibling relationships have been popular in the otaku community since angel sancutary and that is a really long time for one storyline to remain with otakus. wether its brother/ sister ( kirito/suguha ) or with sisters romance between sibilings will have to be expected and predicted when it comes to some popular series. sure i am glad its not regular basis, but there are time it those type of romances have its moments and this series is one of them and i wouldnt have minded those two getting together if asuna had died in the end.

While I didn't have a beef and axe out for Asuna, it would've been awesome (and maybe too bold) to've replaced her from the get-go in SAO with Leafa...

I think a titillating issue the Kirito/Leafa situation offers in a second season (if the writers see and go for it) is can a bro-sis pair knowingly live a virtual romance/love life that's "separate" their platonic seeming real life? Can Kazuto and Suguha be reserved normal sibs in real life who cut it loose in their Kirito and Leafa lives? The big advantage for Kirito is looker Leafa doesn't resemble Suguha at all so that ought grease any qualm and guilt skids off the bat. It's getting Kirito over his bro' skittish that makes Cupid's work for love-gung-ho Leafa fun, especially since in the EE he's still unsure exactly how to see her. That mid-air lover's waltz at the end of Ep 24 sure show's he's not totally repelled by who Leafa really is! Something along these lines ought be tried. Successful animes have to start thinking out of the box.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

exactely what i was mentioning. despite people dislike of the subject, sibling relationships have been popular in the otaku community since angel sancutary and that is a really long time for one storyline to remain with otakus. wether its brother/ sister ( kirito/suguha ) or with sisters romance between sibilings will have to be expected and predicted when it comes to some popular series.

Since you mentioned this, I can't help but wonder how brother/brother would be received Smile
se37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
This part of the story is where I dropped the series. The first arc was wonderful and I really liked it (it felt like .hack but not as confusing) but then it kept going on and got to be kinda silly. I felt if they ended the series where the two meet up together in the real world after escaping SAO it would have been a perfect ending than keeping it going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
maxlance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

exactely what i was mentioning. despite people dislike of the subject, sibling relationships have been popular in the otaku community since angel sancutary and that is a really long time for one storyline to remain with otakus. wether its brother/ sister ( kirito/suguha ) or with sisters romance between sibilings will have to be expected and predicted when it comes to some popular series.

Since you mentioned this, I can't help but wonder how brother/brother would be received Smile

Sharp notion! Very Happy Now that'd be an interesting TG take in a SAO scenario since most girls in MMORPG's are really guys! Suppose Suguha was really a brother playing Leafa in place of Asuna and went through the two years totally unsuspected by anyone? How far would living in VR captivity being taken for and treated as a girl actually turn you fem? Can a "bro Suguha" live a double life as a VR chick? You could almost make a whole brand new VR show out of that concept! Very Happy
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
maxlance wrote:

Sharp notion! Very Happy Now that'd be an interesting TG take in a SAO scenario since most girls in MMORPG's are really guys! Suppose Suguha was really a brother playing Leafa in place of Asuna and went through the two years totally unsuspected by anyone? How far would living in VR captivity being taken for and treated as a girl actually turn you fem? Can a "bro Suguha" live a double life as a VR chick? You could almost make a whole brand new VR show out of that concept! Very Happy

Haha, I'm not really one who is usually into fanfics but I have to be honest that I think this would make a very intriguing fanfic ;0
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Seeing all the supernatural, sam/dean fanfics I'm going to say pretty well in the states. Laughing
Newbie9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
I'm just learning my way in the anime and the manga world to help fill my time in this hospital. I like SAO so far! Can anyone suggest to me any really good SAO discussion sites to talk things with lots of other fans?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Seeing all the supernatural, sam/dean fanfics I'm going to say pretty well in the states. Laughing

unfortunately it wont be the case for any anime series. its why brother/sister relationships as well as relationships between cousins are more common. though i wouldnt mind the two cousins coming together, i am more glad it didn't came at the expense of asuna getting killed off. though considering that their other arc of the SAO series,though in the novels, it might be possible in the future storylines after SAO II.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
rydia251 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
rydia251 wrote:
this one. Also was just not that exciting/entertaining. Oh well, it's shounen fantasy, and at the author's age I probably would have written something similar. Only if I could actually write fiction of course.

Reki Kawahara is almost 40. He wrote SAO in his 30s.

He was born in 1974, and wrote the first volumes of SAO in 2002 from my understanding. That makes him 28. I guess we can split the difference. My statement still stands - a lot of men are still boys until about 27...
In the USA, males are boys (and females are girls) until 26 so I think you're on the money with that Wink

...that said, I was willing to cut the author a lot more slack when I was under the false impression that he wrote SAO as a wish-fulfillment power-trip vehicle when he was a young teen. I really don't want to accept that the author penned a villain who was "evil for evil's sake" (who also forgot his motivation for being evil in the first place) as well as the infamous, anatomically-incorrect "coitus with asuna" chapter.

What the hell was wrong with that hentai chapter? IT was pretty fun and 'usefull' to read, and not only did I love it, all my friends did too!! I hope he draws it into a real comic so I can 'watch' it :3

Plus it means we can probably be pretty sure that this particular author won't complain if certain 'movie' studios start to make 'certain cosplay parody movies' with SAO characters. In fact a lot of 'those live action cosplay movies' have already been released, and most are very 'entertaining' :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3