• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - After School Tinker Bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
About Golden Boy and Cowboy Bebop: Toshihiro Kawamoto handled the character designs for both.

oh wow, that makes so much sense, I was wondering if that was the case

man, that guy has some made talent
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Tons, though not as many as there are for boys. I don't get the impression that the seinen/josei market is really served by LNs at all (aside from yaoi stuff).

At Japanese bookstores, there's usually a LN aisle near the manga, which starts with a long swath of boys' LNs (most of which have girls on the covers), is followed by a shorter patch of girls' LNs (most of which have boys on the covers), and wraps up with a little corner of fujoshi books (which, naturally, have even more boys and/or men on the covers).

Thanks for the information! The bolded sentence in particular is probably why I get so confused on the subject. I'll have to look into what they have the next time at Book-Off.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Thanks for the information! The bolded sentence in particular is probably why I get so confused on the subject. I'll have to look into what they have the next time at Book-Off.

Actually, I was thinking in terms of stores for new books such as Kinokuniya and the like. Book-Off usually keeps the girls' LNs separate from the others, probably somewhere near the girls' manga, where on the shelf they might be hard to distinguish from comics if you don't know what the spines look like. I'm sure an employee can help.

I was generalizing perhaps a bit unfairly earlier, but seriously, while their covers often do show a heroine, she's usually depicted with one or more improbably handsome dudes (and BL alert if *only* guys are shown). You can see some current and upcoming cover art here:

http://cobalt.shueisha.co.jp/

http://bookclub.kodansha.co.jp/books/x-bunko/
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Could I get any help in finding this? I'm having no luck. Really curious.

I love 90s style so much more. So much more defined and intense.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I have been showing an interest in mystery lately and wanted to explore other titles besides Great Detective Conan,and from what I read here it seems like a story I would like. I do like hearing that the character have a good chemistry with each other, and I enjoy watching shows that do a good job handling relationships. It's to bad the original books are out of print, and I am going to assume there hasn't been even a manga adaptation of those books. I could see if I could find the OAV to watch online, but from what I've heard this seems rare (or are some of you talking about the video). Also, unlike Justin Sevakis, I don't mind a show having a 90s look to it, for it's nostalgic to me (considering I grew up in the 90s). In fact I recall back then that sometimes I would have liked if my stories were adapted in either the 90s or 80s just so they can have this vintage look to them (as well as the music from those decades).

Speaking of which:

enurtsol wrote:

That was interesting of what you shared enurtsol. You can see different between character designs of the decades. While I do like the 90s look of characters (though referring to the 90s look on the side, I was never a fan of the character designs for Saber Marionette J. The faces are just too disproportional for my taste. The other looks however I like), I like the modern character designs as well (and it's worth noting that not all characters design today look like they came out of K-On). How people draw characters varies after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ulfius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason I have been in the mood for 80s early 90 animation the past year or so. I hit up Kimagure Orange Road and haven't really touched on the craving since I finished that series. The animation style from screen caps from the article hooked me.

I prefer subs, so it wasn't an issue. I will be brutally honest, the story/mystery is weak. However the interaction between the two main characters made up for this hands down.

The article mentioned none of the LN ever were translated, which is a shame. I would love to explore the series further, more specifically the two main characters.

Since I can't get more from this series, I realize that I would love a series that has a similar relationship between characters. Anyone have a recommendation?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ulfius wrote:
For whatever reason I have been in the mood for 80s early 90 animation the past year or so. I hit up Kimagure Orange Road and haven't really touched on the craving since I finished that series. The animation style from screen caps from the article hooked me.

I prefer subs, so it wasn't an issue. I will be brutally honest, the story/mystery is weak. However the interaction between the two main characters made up for this hands down.

The article mentioned none of the LN ever were translated, which is a shame. I would love to explore the series further, more specifically the two main characters.

Since I can't get more from this series, I realize that I would love a series that has a similar relationship between characters. Anyone have a recommendation?

Since you mentioned you liked this show even though the mystery is weak, but the character interactions are good, from what I've heard of Gosick, it should match that description to a T. (With possibly better mysteries, haven't seen that show myself, but it is on my watch list)

Other detective show suggestions would be: Case Closed/Detective Conan and Kindaichi Case Files.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Edit: I take it back about there being no LNs for older audiences; there's usually a second section of LN-ish novels printed on slightly larger sized paper located elsewhere in the store. This is where the likes of Nisiosin, Nasu Kinoko, Kayata Sunako, Kikuchi Hideyuki and others who skew a bit older "live". There are also lots of reprints of 80's-90's LNs, as well as many WWII novels. Most of what's here is for the guys, though.

"Seinen" LNs tend to be categorized as regular novels, is why. Even if they still feature anime-styled illustrations. And there are cases where the only difference is the publisher is an LN imprint.

IE: Log Horizon is considered a novel (LN sales on Honto don't discount it, for example), but Golden Time which is also a dense read, is considered an LN.

(The downside to this is, GT is cheap then at 570yen, while LH volumes are 1000yen...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2