• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Sailor Moon Dub Cast Announced For Anime Expo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Interesting they got more of the cast announced, including the voice director. If something doesn't get announced before or during this convention, I'd be surprised.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
I really hope they aren't going to be the ones who dub it. I'm sure some people have nostalgic memories of it, but the SM dub from the 90s did not age well. Don't get me started on the censorship.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic and maybe the voice actors improved. If they are going to dub the new series, I hope they actually try to make them sound like teenagers. This is coming from somebody that usually defends English Dubs, but I will still acknowledge that it wasn't at it's best back in the 90s.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I really hope they aren't going to be the ones who dub it. I'm sure some people have nostalgic memories of it, but the SM dub from the 90s did not age well. Don't get me started on the censorship.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic and maybe the voice actors improved. If they are going to dub the new series, I hope they actually try to make them sound like teenagers. This is coming from somebody that usually defends English Dubs, but I will still acknowledge that it wasn't at it's best back in the 90s.

I basically feel the exact same way.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Are they already planning a Simul-dub a la Space Dandy for July 2014 on Toonami?!

And wow, what a 500th post!
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
For a minute, I misread that they were gonna be in the dub.

GordanHam wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I basically feel the exact same way.

I actually think it COULD be done. I'm not saying it's the definite/only good choice (I'm not even sure if it is one), but if it were better directed, it could actually probably work. Weren't Spike Spencer, Allison Keith, Tiffany Grant, etc. a lot better in Rebuild of Evangelion than they were in the show? It's because I think they put more of an effort in the dub. I'm not referring to the actors specifically, but more so do the directors and that they probably spent more time on certain scenes.

Of course, I don't think I'd mind an all new cast for the dub! I still worry they're gonna go for young, pretty 20-year-olds in the Japanese version though. Confused
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I don't mind the same VAs, because at the time it was the 90's...the show was aimed at children, so I'm sure they had to change the dynamics a bit.

Anime has been more accepting to allow it to be uncut, and even if it was "dumbed down" for young viewers, it still has the uncut version available (Like Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece).

I don't mind new VAs, though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, with all this Sailor Moon news this year, I'm almost tempted to believe that we may have a license announcement this year.

Now, if AE can bring in Terri Hawkes, Naz Edwards and even Tracey Moore, THAT would be something incredible!
Lincolne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime Boston your move!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I must say this is very interesting to hear. I wonder what's going to come out for Sailor Moon at Anime Expo other then reuniting the old dub cast. If the announcement of the return of Sailor Moon anime to the US with a uncut dub/sub, that would be interesting. I would be amazed if the new Sailor Moon series get pick up for US and it get announced at Anime Expo. That would be amazing. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Funimation will give them a chance to see they still got it. Even If they don't reprise their roles, someway they will be part of new series for nostalgia fans.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
To quote Cartman: "Super sweet!"

Wow, John Stocker. I remember him more for providing voices in the Super Mario Bros. and Dinosaucers cartoons during my childhood, but I am aware of his role as a voice director. I really need to go to AX this year.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

I actually think it COULD be done. I'm not saying it's the definite/only good choice (I'm not even sure if it is one), but if it were better directed, it could actually probably work. Weren't Spike Spencer, Allison Keith, Tiffany Grant, etc. a lot better in Rebuild of Evangelion than they were in the show? It's because I think they put more of an effort in the dub. I'm not referring to the actors specifically, but more so do the directors and that they probably spent more time on certain scenes.

?

Go watch the End of Evangelion dubbed and re-read that sentence I highlighted and tell me the rebuild movies had a better dub than the show. If Tiffany Grant put any more effort into her dub she'd make it seem like a japanese Asuka never existed in the first place, lol.

As to whether or not this cast will return? Depends on who gets it

Funimation? lol no, they'll make excuses and redub it because it would be cheaper

Sentai? Maybe, but either way most of these actresses aren't doing a lot of work now (or retired even) and getting them to come back won't be cheap.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Man, with all this Sailor Moon news this year, I'm almost tempted to believe that we may have a license announcement this year.

Now, if AE can bring in Terri Hawkes, Naz Edwards and even Tracey Moore, THAT would be something incredible!

Terri's Sailor Moon was my favorite! I'd love to meet her! And I agree with not minding the old VAs to come back for the new anime. Better direction with a more mature series would probably help them produce better material. I personally love the idea of Terri Hawkes voicing a more mature SM.Either way I'm excited!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the only serious dub that a lot of the voice cast did (but most don't remember) was Interlude. I'm still trying to track that one down... :X
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think the only serious dub that a lot of the voice cast did (but most don't remember) was Interlude. I'm still trying to track that one down... :X

I think the dub is on Hulu and Crackle I'm not 100% sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3