• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engaged To The Unidentified (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Engaged To The Unidentified

Plot Summary: Yonomi Kobeni, an ordinary girl, finds out on her 16th birthday that she is betrothed to Mitsumine Hakuya, a boy the same age as her. Hakuya moves in from the countryside and starts living with her, bringing his younger sister who is still a primary school student with him.

12 Episodes
Comedy, Slice-of-life, Romance

Ep.1

Kinda ok actually. I didn't expect to call this a keeper given my rather long list for this season but it might make it. Although it's more a cute show I guess and I don't really tend to follow those all that often, but I think this avoids going full on cute enough that I can tolerate it rather than just being bored by it all.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched this, but I love that the male lead is apparently so unimportant that he isn't even featured on any promo material Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Kinda boring tbh. Some parts were cute but I wasn't into it that much honestly. I'll keep my hopes up though to see where this goes.

On a re-watch, Mashiro is just one adorable character this season!

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
All I've seen so far is the OP which is ridiculously cute and quite well-animated for a lot of it. Dogakobo has been very consistently good in their SoL/gag-comedy shows and so this is one of my most anticipated shows of the season. Looking forward to seeing it subbed.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Well, it doesn't look like a slice-of-life or a gag comedy show from the first episode. It's actually kind of a unique approach to the comedic romance show, because it goes for a more traditional take on love and marriage, rather than the modern one (i.e. marriage is a framework for love, rather than the other way around). I don't know how long the show is going to stick with that approach, though, and it could easily turn into a gag comedy.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
While the set up for Engaged pretty much paints a SoL/gag comedy, what it has to separate from the mass produced series is that (at least for the first episode) it has a fair amount of heart in the execution.
Many of the gags are intentionally subdued such as the older sister's antics towards Mashiro where in another series, as an example Yuru Yuri, there would be an over the top gag about such "affection" for a cute little sister character.

If the follow up to the series is just as well crafted, then this will end up a must watch for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first eppie. A lot of the humour landed for me. I even kinda like the male lead which is a bit unusual. I had doubts based on the premise but if the show keeps up at this level, I can see watching it through to the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Although the plot description interested me, I had fears that it might turn out to be a mess, but it was actually pretty good. Some aspects involving the sister reminded me of Akane from YuruYuri, and maybe a little with the sister in Kiniro Mosaic, the three of them being well respected older sisters that a bit more interest in their sisters than they should. But all the characters seem quite likable, the main girl has her own mind about things but still open. The loli was quite funny to watch with the part she is trying to play, but still at the mercy of others. And the guy kind of makes me think of Io Otonashi (Acchi Kocchi), I want to learn a little bit more about him though.

And the elder sister, I wonder if I might get bored with her antics. She started as over doting, creepy, and with the family agreeing that her personality left a bit to be desired, to suddenly amazing that everyone adored. definitely a character to watch I think. This show feels a little like the shows that can get by with their cuteness and little humour like shows I mentioned above (Acchi Kocchi and Kiniro Mosaic) but whether this a more straight forward romance might differentiate it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
The best/worst birthday ever!
This could be good.
It's certainly weird enough.
Don't see much plot in this one though.
The sister-in-law is annoying.
The others are OK, but I'm not really feeling it.
Think I'm gonna skip this one.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. Sister loving and loli loving older sister ftw. I liked the white outlines in the character designs. It made them stick out.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I think it's been a while since I've seen the prearranged marriage thing. It used to be absolutely everywhere.

I really like the character dynamic here and I note the voice acting seems pretty fresh. Convenience Store (as I shall call her) is a pretty good character because she recognizes when she made a choice and reflects on it whereas most characters in these situations just go 100% unremorseful anger, which gets really annoying. I also appreciate

I also appreciate the light fanservice in the ending (well, I guess that's technically the intro) and I look forward to how this plays out.

It's funny that I thought this show was about being engaged to an alien, but no they're just from the middle of nowhere. LOL.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I saw some promo materials that imply the boy *might* be an alien, but I don't remember where I saw it.

This show takes itself more seriously and is slower paced than I was expecting. The basic premise of an unexpected arranged marriage and the pace and tone reminded me of the early episodes of Ranma, so it has promise, BUT...

I like Kobeni and her fiance okay, but her older sister is over-the-top and disturbing. Fiance's younger sister's reaction--genuinely creeped out--makes it worse. Yes, that's how someone would realistically react to inappropriate sexual innuendo and advances, and acknowledging that with realism just brings into focus how extremely inappropriate it is. If they don't tone it down, I don't know how much of it I can take.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I saw some promo materials that imply the boy *might* be an alien, but I don't remember where I saw it.

The title alone certainly raises a bunch of flags. Also that dream/flashback at the very beginning.

Pretty good so far. It's quite charming and pleasing to look at and that's what I want in my SoL.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Has there ever been a girl who ever said: "gee everyone if you wanted me in a prearranged marriage you should have mentioned it sooner but the way it is working out I am picking my own mate thank you."

Of course that would just about end the show for about 26% of all anime. So they don't.

I thought this was going to be a bit of a mess and it is, but something about it is working well enough that I will stick around for a few more episodes at least.

Is there a betting pool set up as to who and when either Kobeni or Hakuya will be exposed naked to the other? I pick first half of Episode 3.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah no wonder the beginning of the OP sounded so familiar. It has a similar beat to the PV of Sasami-san@Ganbaranai. I liked how the ED was basically reiterating the first 2 episodes minus the dude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9