• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engaged To The Unidentified (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Was that movie spoiler[alien tsundere]? Some nice back and forth with Mashiro this episode, sure this is supposed to be a romantic comedy between Kobeni and Hakuya, but Mashiro takes centre stage (the ED after all). And it looks like last episode will be the standard "spoiler[I must go to their home to bring them back]" story line. At least their spoiler[mother was not too strict, and the risk of discovery really was not that high].

I don't know if I have said this yet, but I really like both the OP and ED, the large amount of Mashiro's voice actress, yuri Yoshida probably has some part in it. But they sound the right amount of catchy and cute.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I thought the OP and ED were great even before I grew to find Ms. Yoshida's voice to be tolerable. They're both my favorites for the season.

And yes, that was spoiler[an alien tsundere] in the movie. Funny joke!

It's really sad that there will only be one more episode of this one. Even though the twist at the end is, as DP noted, quite generic, something along that lines had to be coming because things still weren't settled over what happened many years ago. Tacking that turn of events on is the one place where I've found the series' pacing to be a bit off, but I am still glad that the series came back to that point.

Still, the humor is working as good as ever, the writing is finding way to fit the more serious issues in, and the supporting cast is great. (I find Kobeni's friend Mayura to be almost as indispensable as Benio's "controller" Nadeshiko to the appeal of the show.) Can't ask for much more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
It is a shame that this was only 12 episodes long i felt it could have been a good 20- something season. Do you think they are looking into a 2nd season?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the OVA that's coming out.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11, best LOL moment, about 07:00:

Kobeni: spoiler["You don't want to get mixed up with criminals and creeps!"]

Mashiro: spoiler["Like Benio?!"]

Didn't see it coming -- got me good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
I feared for the two little cute kindergarten girls who approached Benio-sama at the charity bazaar. But her reaction to them was surprisingly legal and non-creepy.

Er, at least compared to usual Benio standards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yeah but after that poof Sad til they get accepted for another season
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

It is out in RAW although I do see censors. Oh well, it was kinda fun seeing the characters relax a bit from the drama in the story recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Had not even heard about the OVA. Will have to check that out once it gets subbed.

Were any of you aware that this is actually based on a 4-koma manga? This makes the second time in two years that such a series has hit strongly in the winter season. (Last year it was Kotoura-san.)

The series is apparently being at least somewhat popular in Japan because I have seen fair amount of erotic art featuring series characters popping up lately (especially featuring Kobeni, as you might expect), and that's usually a good barometer of how something is faring with otaku crowds.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Episode 11, best LOL moment, about 07:00:

Kobeni: spoiler["You don't want to get mixed up with criminals and creeps!"]

Mashiro: spoiler["Like Benio?!"]

Didn't see it coming -- got me good.

Oh, I was entirely expecting the joke to go in that direction. But it was still funny. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Were any of you aware that this is actually based on a 4-koma manga?

I was not. The show does a pretty good job of avoiding the pitfalls of many 4-koma manga adaptation where everything feels super-episodic. Most of those you can tell are 4-koma adaptions even if you didn't know previously.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Had not even heard about the OVA.

Are you sure you should be admitting that, Mr ANN Staff Member? Wink

Key wrote:

Uh, yeah. Didn't the next episode previews make it obvious? Laughing

Key wrote:
The series is apparently being at least somewhat popular in Japan because I have seen fair amount of erotic art featuring series characters popping up lately (especially featuring Kobeni, as you might expect), and that's usually a good barometer of how something is faring with otaku crowds.

I actually see more Mashiro stuff. Overall none of it is that particularly good, though...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Very much so.

Like Love Lab, with this show Dogakobo adapted a completely obscure 4koma from a completely obscure magazine and still managed to generate quite a few fans even with rather new seiyuu in most key roles..Definitely something to be lauded, as it's so much harder to create a fanbase than it is to simply pander to an already existing one.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I actually see more Mashiro stuff. Overall none of it is that particularly good, though...

Yeah, I've been avoiding those, as she's a few years below my acceptable age range. Benio definitely isn't, but I don't think I've run across anything involving her yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know where the ova is ? the raw?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I've been avoiding those, as she's a few years below my acceptable age range. Benio definitely isn't, but I don't think I've run across anything involving her yet.

Best I've seen so far are pics of Nadeshiko and Niko, oddly enough.

Regarding Benio, she could have been an easily hateable character for me. But what saves her from other characters like her is the fact that she never gets what she wants. Not everything is handed to her just because she's "perfect" and there are a lot of jokes at her expense. Most of the school puts her up on a pedestal, but the show enjoys kicking her off it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9