• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hōzuki's Coolheadedness (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
I was just going by the posts in this thread so far, and no one had seemed very enthused, being only lukewarm or dropping it outright. But I've noticed that you and I seem to share the same tastes in a lot of anime. Smile

I had already looked up Hozuki's name, since I wondered if it used the same characters as Hozuki Ferrari. The goldfish fetish they share made me curious if there was some connection, but I guess not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
I said I only had one real complaint in the previous episode, so I am rather enjoying it too. I often get bored with certain anime that might have something people find similar to this, like getting bored The Eccentric Family, but I am enjoying this somewhat slice of life of an Hell Oni.

There is not much I can say about episode 3, but maybe continue a phrase that this keeps me entertained despite not being the type that makes you laugh out loud.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
What's the meaning of Hozuki's name? Oh, wait, is it the "red lantern" or that poisonous plant (or both)?
There were a lot of details about East Asian culture in ep 3 that just went over my head, and some of the jokes seemed to require that knowledge, but it was still funny. Who knew there were jerks running parts of Shangri-la? Very Happy
This show has a healthy sense of continuity about the characters it introduces, and the more characters we get the more character focused the humor will become. Maybe we'll get to see the supervisor doggie torturers' wedding in a future ep! A wedding in Hell will be interesting!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Laughing
If you thought he was soft, Hozuki makes it pretty clear about how harsh he can be, and they are his co-workers. I did not think that the sports festival in hell would be.... well a sports festival from hell. He even twisted more mental activities into breaking them in spoiler[getting things no one would want to do in a scavenger hunt]. You could say he went easy on the animals, but he still intended a spoiler[small dog to fight Cerberus, he even showed surprise at it making a wise decision is backing out]. The entire sports festival was gold, and spoiler[at the end he said it was only practice for the real thing]. Laughing

Also the rabbit. That rabbit is the most hilarious minion of hell ever.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
You know, they openly telegraphed that ending earlier on, and I still didn't pick up on it. Very Happy

Isn't the rabbit a minion of Heaven? And yikes, the gate guardians! And that cutting board!! OO

Episode 7: Loved this week's cameo appearance!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I just about had a heart attack when I saw that cameo.

Man, I miss My Little Monster. Why did it have to end before its time?

*sniffle*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Wait, are they telling me that one person I person I met was not actually a ninja doing training? I find the implication of lying spoiler[to foreigners], especially spoiler[Australians that are into "Japanimation"], to be funny. You wouldn't catch me patting a Tasmanian Devil.

Hozuki is such an awesome troll. I love the irony of them punishing someone who spoiler[faked being a professional in acupuncture] and Hozuki claiming he could spoiler[do it because he skimmed a book and said he had the basics]. One of the first things he does is aims for spoiler[a pressure point to give him diarrhea]. Laughing

My Little Monster, we saw spoiler[Mitty, Haru and Natsume as Oni].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I wonder if this was the best one yet, lots of moments that got me laughing. Peach Maki's music video that served as the ED and was so nonsensical that it earned the reaction of "I don't know what to think" from the cat and Maki herself. Hozuki pulling spoiler[apart Maki's entire career]. The cat spoiler[bleeding from all orifices when planning to get scoop only to see Hozuki]. The stripping hag's spoiler[career choices, cursing the head of the newspaper, Sneezy]. The strange spoiler[art], the spoiler[cursed art], including a spoiler[toad on the shirt hopping away].

There is not a heap to talk about this series, but it is super funny if you agree with the comedy that pokes fun at serious things like work and hell.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

I wonder if this was the best one yet, lots of moments that got me laughing. Peach Maki's music video that served as the ED and was so nonsensical that it earned the reaction of "I don't know what to think" from the cat and Maki herself.

When the short clip came early in the episode, I laughed.
I also could not help compare it to Sugar Rush by AKB48 featured at the end of Wreck It Ralph.

Good stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
There is not a heap to talk about this series, but it is super funny if you agree with the comedy that pokes fun at serious things like work and hell.

I know what you mean. Just the stupid-obvious line spoiler["I know you wanted it to jump out at you, but does it really have to jump out at you?"] gave me the giggles. I think my favorite sight gag in this ep was the editor's reaction to receiving the envelope - spoiler[no, not the falling off part, but the way he cautiously batted at it with his paw.] Second place goes to spoiler[the Stripping Hag's underbutt.]
Tyna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I like this anime even though it seems like it's not a popular choice and that being said I'll start by saying what I like about it.
Firstly the intro song, I mean Oh My God! I find myself always singing it even though I don't even know what I'm singing, it's so catchy.
Secondly the art work is beautiful the layout of the entire anime is very pleasing to my eye, feels different from the rest of the animes out there, makes me think a bit of Inuyasha and the demons from ancient times I guess.
An obvious attraction is Hozuki's voice...it's just magical, end of story.

The only bad thing that I can see with this sort of anime is that the characters and stories aren't very relatable, but personally I don't feel like that will stop me from enjoying it.
I find it funny, but it's not the type of humor that will make someone laugh out loud and I think this is quite unique in itself.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Tyna wrote:

Firstly the intro song, I mean Oh My God! I find myself always singing it even though I don't even know what I'm singing, it's so catchy.

If you really want to know, it roughly translates as something along the lines of "Japanese Hell is an Office Hell [stuff I don't understand] this place is hell, hell, super fun hell, this is hell! we're in hell, hell, wonderful hell, hell, this is hell!". Change a few words here and there, but that's basically all it says. And I think the middle part is like a list of the different hells and punishment levels, but that's just a theory for now
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
"this place is hell, hell, super fun hell, this is hell! we're in hell, hell, wonderful hell, hell, this is hell!".

It should become the official forum anthem.
Tyna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you CrowLia, did not expect to actually get a translation. Made my day!
Now I understand the irony of the intro somewhat. I don't know about the anthem thing, I'm quite new to the forum so I don't understand the atmosphere at the moment, but so far there are plenty friendly people! Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
"this place is hell, hell, super fun hell, this is hell! we're in hell, hell, wonderful hell, hell, this is hell!".

It should become the official forum anthem.

We should send an official petition to Zac and Tempest and whoever else runs this site to change the tagline. "We're in hell, super fun hell, this is hell!" is a lot catchier than "The internet's most trusted Anime news source" Laughing

Quote:
Thank you CrowLia, did not expect to actually get a translation. Made my day!

I'm glad it was useful [?] It's just a very rough translation, I'm sure many of the people here who are much more proficient in Japanese than I am could be able to give a more accurate one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6