• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Z/X Ignition (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Z/X Ignition
Genres: tournament
Themes: card games

Summary from Crunchyroll:
Quote:
“In the not-so-distant future, five portals suddenly appeared acting as gateways to alternative worlds. However, these five worlds are actually the same world, but in different timelines. As the situation becomes increasingly dire, the inhabitants of each world will stop at nothing to ensure the survival of their own timeline, even at the expense of the other timelines. The key to survival lies in one card-shaped device...”

Episode 1:
That was alright I guess. The angels in the city and the OST.

A lot of animosity already. I didn't get much of a yugioh vibe yet though but some of the mystical beasts caught my eyes. Damn, that ending is painful. I didn't expect that.

I think this might have potential. Going to keep watching to see where it goes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
So to summarize the intro dialogue: "These things appeared. We called them gates. But that name didn't stick so we called them Black Points. People liked that name better."

And I'm guilty of laughing my ass off at "People came to call these monsters... (very long dramatic pause)... ... ... ... ... REALLY STUPID NAME."

-I'll admit "Both of them" was a pretty funny gag but I freakin hate the main character. He can go die in a fire.

-OMG Michael is so cute! I need a Z/X card so I can get a Michael of my very own. I'll bake for her and we can play RoboRally together and talk about the differences in our cultures. *sigh* minor character. I'll likely see her once or twice more:(

-When the troops were deploying a friend walked by, saw the screen and asked "Are those ninja spartants!?" and now I can't unsee it.

-World was besieged by the collective bestiary of every jRPG out there, and this genius spoiler[decides to take a shortcut down an alley so dark he needs to turn on his moped's lights in the middle of the day.] At least the miko is cute.

That is the funniest floor mopping animation I've ever seen.

So end result: the music is pretty good, the designs are vast and fun and the story is interesting enough. I hate the main character and I can't get over the idea that it's trying to sell me a card game. It kind of feels like Trinity Souls, which I hated. However, it is by far the easiest show to heckle. I look forward to doing exactly that this weekend when I see it with a certain group proficient at such.

I love NIS. They've made so many memorable games and the 2nd jRPG revolution wouldn't have even happened if not for their north american branch but I can't get behind this show. I'll wait to see if it gets better but I'm not expecting it to.

On the side, I'd like to see a show that opened like this one did, except humanity is indeed destroyed (or 99% of it) and it's about the extra-dimensional beings trying to live in a strange and alien world- ours.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I really liked what I saw in the first episode, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

However, if Tennoji/Fierte keep fighting Mikado/Alexander, I'm going to either die of laughter, or have to put Go-Busters vs Gokaiger on auto-repeat (Fierte = Luka/Gokai Yellow, Mikado = Beet J Stag/Stag Buster).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am somewhat reminded of the Devil Survivor 2 anime, except I am not quite sure about the characters yet, at least the monsters seem to have a personality. I wonder what is going to happen next with Belldandy.

Also, is this an existing card game?
Yeah it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z/X

I get a bit annoyed when a series starts off with senseless slaughter.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Maybe i'm the only one who may have noticed this but this seems like it could possibly be a retelling of the rapture from the bible.

Demons are supposed to roam the earth killing humans. And a war between heaven and the Antichrist will ensue. Of course there are a lot of variables being added to the mix here but the basic concept seems about the same to me.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
The intro was interesting.
Practically all girl characters... kinda disappointing.
I would usual go for this sci-fi/adventure thing.
Feels like something is missing though..
Can't really put my finger on it.
Maybe it's just not serious enough for me.
Getting the younger viewers vibe from this one.
Skipping it.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

I am somewhat reminded of the Devil Survivor 2 anime, except I am not quite sure about the characters yet, at least the monsters seem to have a personality. I wonder what is going to happen next with Belldandy.

Also, is this an existing card game?
Yeah it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z/X

I get a bit annoyed when a series starts off with senseless slaughter.

Oh, so it actually IS already based on a CCG/videogame. Thanks, Dusky. I'll go a bit easier on the show then.

As for the senseless slaughter, I do enjoy it but only, and I mean -only- if the show follows through. If they have loads of senseless slaughter when crap hits the fan and then the rest of the show is pulling punches, I'm not so happy with that. A massacre right off the bat is like the show telling you nobody is safe. Then if it drops a safety net for all the important characters it makes it feel cheap. Sure, I feel a little bad for the pedestrians though.

I actually get more annoyed when a show has something that should kill loads of people but doesn't for some reason. I forget which show it was but a military base got rained on by meteors with absolutely no warning and soon after an operative stated they lost the base but luckily nobody was injured.

I realize that yes, miracles like that DO happen in real life. There was a case where I live once where a car carrier (those Ultra Magnus-like things) was speeding around a turn when it suddenly ran into a traffic jam. Locks failed, the truck spun and basically dumped a bunch of cars around like a claymore mine, except full of cars. At some point an SUV got torn in half and vehicles went rolling over the embankment. Yet nobody was even injured. So yeah, crazy multi-luck can happen. But I think mass monster attacks should be different.

Wow. I wrote way more about that than I meant to. Sorry. LOL
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ep2. Surprisingly little happened this episode. I'll give it 1 more ep but if it doesn't get a zillion times better it's dropped. The mc is quite the putz and I'm finding my favourite character is a 900lb winged egyptian panther, and even he got the fool's role this episode. Nobody is safe when Z/X wants to crack a tired overused joke. Nobody.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5 - Just a record of the heckling session.

spoiler[<"Barbaric Fiend Balbals">
"Ballballs? Is that a new sports item?"
"Maybe it means he's got 4 of them. Good thing he's got wings because there's no way that guy is walking."
*crush*
"oh... oh..."
"So how did she survive?"
"He didn't have the Ballballs to kill her."
"I'd just like to point out that I own a sweater exactly like that one."

<"Chaos at sudden power outage">
"Really?"
"The power goes out here and people are like "Damn. Hope it comes back on before the chicken thaws."
"Next time the power goes out we should start a freakin riot and see if it spreads."

"This show is scaring me. I also have a Mother-in-Law's Tongue on my kitchen counter."

<"I'm shy and clumsy. I wish I were more like him.">
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo! He's the biggest thing holding this show down!"

"So they're not inviting the 900lb egyptian panther to help them cook?"
"I'm more bothered that he's making Aina make her own birthday cake."
"You sure you wanna be like him, girl? He's kind of a jerk."

<Fierte>
"Next time somebody tells me how to do something, I'm staring at them blankly and then screwing it up."
"It's like they wanted each girl to have a gag but drew a blank on how Fierte screws up."
"She's just getting him back for interrupting her show."

"Thanks, everyone. Although you've been our only customers for days despite it being the christmas rush and we just used ALL our desert-making supplies, I can tell you all wanted to `help'."

<Little>
"Oh god it's Poom Poom! Run!"

<"They kill people and steal their life force">
"Which is gone because they killed them."
"Gah, I always get that in reverse too."
"It's so much harder than melting butter."

"Everyone who cares about you is something you hate. It's alright though, because I'm the main character."
"I didn't want to scare you. That's why I deceived you and then scared you."
"Crap I hate this guy."

"Wait, did Ayase just slap his dick and then run off?"
"I think this show's storyboards are just rorschach tests and the animators interpret them as they see fit."

<"My parents were also killed by a Z/X.">
<"Then how can you be with one?">
"Because mine's a badass panther. Angels are the ones that killed my parents."
"So I should never trust angels?"
"Good going, Ayase."
"Now teach her the importance of Z/X racism and hatred."

<Mask>
"$5 says she'll drop the cake."
*splat*]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

So the quiet ones are always the ones that may become craziest? And who listens to an evil floating mask?
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
So it basically boiled down to
spoiler["I don't want revenge."
"Take revenge!"
"Ok."]
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6

No sign of our putz-faced male lead this episode. He's been temporarily replaced by a really cool duo with a good dynamic and a more interesting setting. I really like Chitose, both in visual design and personality. I'm actually kind of sad it's not her story. spoiler[Chitose shower scene right off the bat, too. I like what I see through my light beam removal sense, especially that rear view. Buying that skill was well worth the 60,000 exp. NSFW: http://imgur.com/fJF7n8a ]

spoiler[Teemo! NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo! (Note: I don't play League anymore. Don't ask me to play with you.)]

I was never a big fan of the whole "our conventional weapons don't work" thing. I always preferred "our conventional weapons are far less effective." due to the outsiders being creatures with strange powers. Like, take 900lb egyptian panther dude for example. A rocket launcher should be able to turn him into spaghetti sauce but the problem isn't "he absorbs the blast" but more of a "he's 100x more agile than a human. Good luck hitting him." spoiler[So I was really happy to see the jets actually take out some birds, but the bird's mobility and AoE was the big problem.]

This ep was actually fairly good. While I don't really like Alexander I like his role, and I respect Mikado. If I were in this world I'd likely side with them.

I got a real kick out of the spoiler[mess hall. Soldier, soldier, dwarven warrior, soldier, soldier, not-Thief from Disgaea, soldier, soldier, soldier... It's like a visual representation of what mess halls in my country's military sound like.]

I'm also glad to see Fukuoka. I was actually there once (Tenjin too). I was in Tokyo but Tokyo doesn't count because it's kind of the main locale for anime. It'd be like getting excited over a superhero comic set in New York. Though all I remember about Fukuoka city-wise was the awesome arcade, accidentally shoplifting because their stores lack walls, and the valley making the days seem short.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

The main character of this episode really is far more interesting than the normal guy. I hope she continues with much significance, without becoming a harem member if possible.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Here we are, ep7, and it's STILL telling us the character's names when they show up. Could you picture if Metal Gear did that?
Snake: "Yeah yeah you're Vulcan Raven! I GET IT!"

While not nearly as good as last ep this one wasn't terrible either. Though I suspect that they'll need spoiler[Aina's power to knock Alexander down to a level where they can handle him. I hope that's the case because anime is focused on the "I've got to get stronger!" or "I've gotta believe!" mechanic far too often and forgets "I've gotta weaken him!"] is also a valid strategy.

Poor poor 900lb Egyptian Panther, official demoted to the party pervert:(. I appreciate it though.

Winning scene for this episode for me was totally the spoiler[loli smile+mecha-rex fireblast.] The god-awful animation and composition only added to itbut It was just so sudden I couldn't stop laughing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
I felt that maybe I should have re-watched the first episode to get some context again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2