• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I want some of the Japanese VAs to return. Any English dub should just start from scratch.

And given the differences betwewen Robotech and the ADV Macross dub, that's fine with me--
The dubs improve once they're made by companies who look at the big picture of the entire series.

(Unlike the Cloverway dub, which didn't know it would be dubbing past the R series, and had the adult VA--painfully--play Chibi-Usa as cartoon-"bratty". Which required a bit of adjustment when they got to the "good" Chibi-Usa in the SuperS dub.)
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

But there's zero chance of the English dub VAs for SM to return, anyway. Those people don't even voice act anymore

What? Who the heck told you that?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

But there's zero chance of the English dub VAs for SM to return, anyway. Those people don't even voice act anymore

What? Who the heck told you that?

Well, I never see them listed in any casts. When was the last time Terri Hawkes even worked? Toby Proctor? Stephanie Morgenstern?

They're not really in the business much. And honestly, who's looking for them? It's not like it's some superlative, beloved English dub like Cowboy Bebop or Hellsing, where if you changed the dub cast the streets would run red with blood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Whilst I wouldn't be that fussed if they changed, if anything actually I'd rather it go to Funimation (Luci Christian would be my pick for Usagi having played magical girls in the past) some of the dub cast are still active. Rino Romano for example one of the other Tuxedo Mask voices did voice work in Phineas and Ferb, Curious George, and Skylanders Swap Force; Jill Frappier (Luna) though she hasn't done voice work recently was in an episode Degrassi: The Next Generation last year and an episode of Murdoch Mysteries in 2012 and Katie Griffin (Sailor Mars) and Emilie Barlow (briefly covered for Mars, second Sailor Venus) still both also appear to be active in the Canadian voice acting scene.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, I never see them listed in any casts. When was the last time Terri Hawkes even worked? Toby Proctor? Stephanie Morgenstern?

I'm guessing Cloverway was a Canadian dub, seeing as most of the Scouts later ended up as 00's Flash-animated Care Bears.
Or in other various Canadian productions, and Beyblade's dub reunited quite a few of them.
Kate "Mars" Griffin is probably the most recognizable, better known as Alex on "Totally Spies". (Which supports the Canadian theory.)

IMDb Is Your Friend. So is ANN, if you're asking about VA's.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah both the Cloverway and DiC dubs were handled by the Toronto based dubbing studio Optimum Productions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8