• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Zeo1fan wrote:
Who says an extension would add nothing?

That depends on what is being "added" here. If the fillers help add to the story or entertainment value without taking away fan enjoyment, whatever. If they don't, then what exactly was Toei thinking?

But here's the thing: this could very well be a straight-up adaptation of the manga and the manga is complete. Historically, I've only seen Toei add fillers when their current production is getting marginally close to the author's current chapters of the manga or if they want to promote the latest video game or other accessory.
And if fans know this, then why do they still complain?

In movies, this tends to be referred to as "Chocolate Factory Syndrome":
The minute and second a reboot of a well-known property based on material from another medium is announced, overexpectant fans IMMEDIATELY praise it to the skies as "Truer to the original this time!", and set about demonizing all the "heretical" mistakes the better-known previous adaptation made. (So there, poopie-headed famous earlier version, nyeh.)

Sometimes...it's not always about source accuracy. Some properties (like the previously mentioned anime examples) just need a second draft, to jazz-riff off the original and distill the tone of what the story was aiming for. That's why an anime isn't always a manga translation, especially when the more failed ones try hard to be.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
For what it's worth the original anime added a lot more personality and character to characters who in the manga died outright in less than 1 chapter. For better (Witches 5, and just about everybody else) or worse (Tiger's Eye and Kaolinite).

It's true, the anime does a great job of taking characters who had maybe four or five pages of total existence in the manga, and fleshing them out into great recurring characters.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this adaption, but I hope it'll include the absurd sense of fun and weirdness that defined Sailor Moon at its best.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
The minute and second a reboot of a well-known property based on material from another medium is announced, overexpectant fans IMMEDIATELY praise it to the skies as "Truer to the original this time!", and set about demonizing all the "heretical" mistakes the better-known previous adaptation made. (So there, poopie-headed famous earlier version, nyeh.)

So, we are to presume that there are people who prefer the Tim Burton version of the Chocolate Factory property instead of the old Mel Stuart version? Razz
Wyvern wrote:
It's true, the anime does a great job of taking characters who had maybe four or five pages of total existence in the manga, and fleshing them out into great recurring characters.

I will admit that that is one of the highlights of the original version of the Sailor Moon anime. The henchmen were given a good fleshed-out personality instead of being reduced to cannon fodder as they were in the manga. To that, I have a feeling that there will be some fans who will cry foul if anything near and dear happen to the Spectre Sisters or the Witches 5.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Zeo1fan wrote:

That depends on what is being "added" here. If the fillers help add to the story or entertainment value without taking away fan enjoyment, whatever. If they don't, then what exactly was Toei thinking?

But here's the thing: this could very well be a straight-up adaptation of the manga and the manga is complete. Historically, I've only seen Toei add fillers when their current production is getting marginally close to the author's current chapters of the manga or if they want to promote the latest video game or other accessory.

I don't think it's right to think of material as 'filler' just because it's new. If it adds depth to the story and moves it forward, then it has a purpose. If it has a purpose, it isn't filler. And why would Naoko want to tell the exact same story she's already told when she could tell a new one?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Zeo1fan wrote:

Sometimes...it's not always about source accuracy. Some properties (like the previously mentioned anime examples) just need a second draft, to jazz-riff off the original and distill the tone of what the story was aiming for. That's why an anime isn't always a manga translation, especially when the more failed ones try hard to be.

^Bless this comment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well in that case, no need for the original voice cast either.

With logic like that, DBZ kai didn't need the original voice actors to return either, and neither did FMA B

Well, FMA: B didn't, and they didn't use a lot of them. But I'm glad they did bring back some of them and I hope they do the same for this new SM show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well in that case, no need for the original voice cast either.

With logic like that, DBZ kai didn't need the original voice actors to return either, and neither did FMA B

Well, FMA: B didn't, and they didn't use a lot of them. But I'm glad they did bring back some of them and I hope they do the same for this new SM show.

Yeah me too. It's obvious that a lot of original voice actors wont come back for various reasons, but a few would be nice
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I don't think it's right to think of material as 'filler' just because it's new. If it adds depth to the story and moves it forward, then it has a purpose. If it has a purpose, it isn't filler. And why would Naoko want to tell the exact same story she's already told when she could tell a new one?

Filler in the eyes of any anime fan refers to extra material in an anime adaptation of a manga that wasn't in the original manga. Nothing more, nothing less. As for why Naoko would want to tell the exact same story, you might as well ask why any anime studio would tell the same story of a mangaka's work in anime format when newcomers can just go read the original manga. It's all about exposure to the property itself. And so what if she tells the same story in anime format? It's not going to be detrimental to people who had read the manga. It just provides them with a new way to see the material.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Essentially, what we will see is essentially a very faithful adaptation of the original Sailor Moon manga--at least the version that was published in 2003. It's going to be a much darker vision in the anime, and could at times approach Puella Magi Madoka Magica in terms of a dark subject matter and serious story, if anyone who's seen the original manga notes.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

So, we are to presume that there are people who prefer the Tim Burton version of the Chocolate Factory property instead of the old Mel Stuart version? :P

I far prefer the Tim Burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie to the old Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film. I liked the book as a kid and always found the old movie to be an imperfect adaptation and a bit unsettling. The Tim Burton movie updated the book a bit (making the kid into western TV shows into a kid obsessed with FPS games), but was a lot closer to the spirit of the original book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the manga is pretty dag done dark! However, I hope that in this new anime version that...

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:
spoiler[The Sailor Starlights and Kakyu get some proper closure after the Chaos conflict. In the manga, they were simply written out as unfortunate casualties at the hands of Galaxia's forces. Takeuchi never bothered to show that maybe, just maybe, Cosmos used her restorative powers to help regenerate the Starlights and Kakyu along with the other soldiers. At least the original anime gave the Starlights and Kakyu their happy ending even despite the fact that Chaos retreated "back into people's minds" instead of being reduced to an infitestimal state. If there will be any filler scenes added, I hope that is one scene that will be considered.]
mysticnightworldgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
i cant wait to see the manga version. even though it is dark compared to the old anime it would be still enjoyable. (no wonder they said it would be intended to a mature audience) i need to reread the manga i just need short stories vol 1 and i will complete my sailor moon manga collection :D

im guessing the anime will look like this then, maybe well hopefully.

www.sailormoondomain.webs.com/photos/Sailor-Moon-and-friends/sailor%20cosmos.jpg
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Sailor Star Fighter's VA passed away as well didn't she?

Sadly, yes. Tellu's seiyuu too, as well as some of the composers (and SeryMyu actresses).
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Filler in the eyes of any anime fan refers to extra material in an anime adaptation of a manga that wasn't in the original manga. Nothing more, nothing less. As for why Naoko would want to tell the exact same story, you might as well ask why any anime studio would tell the same story of a mangaka's work in anime format when newcomers can just go read the original manga. It's all about exposure to the property itself. And so what if she tells the same story in anime format? It's not going to be detrimental to people who had read the manga. It just provides them with a new way to see the material.

Not me. Since when are you a representative of all anime fans? By your logic, pretty much the entire original sailor moon anime could've been classed as 'filler'. An adaptation should be able to stand on it's own; there are different requirements for different mediums and if the story doesn't change to fit those requirements, then the adaptation only suffers. Zack Snyder's work exemplifies this.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
Pretty much all of the original Sailor Moon anime WAS filler. Terrible, terrible monster of the day filler.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8