• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wake Up, Girls! (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think the quick close ups in episode 4 are exactly what annoyed me about episode 2, and I don't see how there's any arguing that those close ups, in episodes 2 and 3, (and now, possibly, even one of the close ups on Miyu's cleavage in the movie) serve no narrative function or could have been shot better. I think it's disingenuous when it gets overlooked or poorly explained away, likely because that fan service is sandwiched into a show that has merit.

As of now, WUG has an equal or greater number of fan service shots than some other shows that I would have presumed of being loaded with fan service or even pandering to the base, prurient interests of Otaku-- including Nisekoi and Zvezda; the latest Shinbo shindig and Tensai's Lolichronicles. While I think sexy fan service is ill-suited to the kind of show that WUG is trying to be, what annoys me more is the claim made by some that this sexy fan service is "subtle" or isn't fan service by the virtue of being built into the story. I don't think jiggling J-cups are bad, I just don't think it's a proper fit in this show. But I think we can stop pretending that WUG is letting the j-cups jiggle for some as of yet unexplained, rich subtext.

I was pretty wrong about the Prez though: she's bad ass Okaasan with a heart of gold. If only she could exchange that heart of gold for fiat currency.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
TehDarkPrince wrote:
(and now, possibly, even one of the close ups on Miyu's cleavage in the movie)

Huh. I wouldn't think that anybody would actually not understand that one.

The point of that scene was to show that "talent scouts" in Japan ogle young idol candidates. The shot was precisely to show that sort of side of the scouting process.

Look, if you take every fanservice shot without understanding anything of the idol industry (particularly how nearly every otaku idol TV series has been shown in a completely squeaky clean light) then obviously the intentions are not going to be clear. If you take away the assistant obviously peering into Miyuu's cleavage then her candidacy/scouting seems much more innocent.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TehDarkPrince wrote:
(and now, possibly, even one of the close ups on Miyu's cleavage in the movie)

Huh. I wouldn't think that anybody would actually not understand that one.

The point of that scene was to show that "talent scouts" in Japan ogle young idol candidates. The shot was precisely to show that sort of side of the scouting process.

Look, if you take every fanservice shot without understanding anything of the idol industry (particularly how nearly every otaku idol TV series has been shown in a completely squeaky clean light) then obviously the intentions are not going to be clear. If you take away the assistant obviously peering into Miyuu's cleavage then her candidacy/scouting seems much more innocent.

That's why I qualified it. If it's Matsuda doing it for the sake of scouting, that's an interpretation. It could be Matsuda judging her as someone who panders to otaku with sex appeal. It could be Matsuda being attracted to Miyu in a casual or significant way. But the way in which several of these kinds of shots have occurred in every episode other than the first, calls into question whether there is a relevant context in others, or if that context is central or incidental to showing close ups of boobs, or documenting the slapping of a bikini-clad ass positioned precariously over scalding water. I didn't mention the panty flash during the concert because it was built into the story. But now, I wonder if the narrative context in these fan service-type scenes exists incidentally or is as important to the creators as showing the fan service itself.

You could very well be right, but it's interpretation. If the show wanted to be unequivocal about portraying that particular scene as Matsuda appraising Miyu as a candidate, there could have been internal monologue, which is as mundane in anime as speed lines, blue hair, and telling your opponent exactly what you're about to do. If it wanted to portray him as attracted to her, he might blush or get visibly distracted. If he is being "skeevy", he might smirk behind the piece of paper he's holding. But they didn't, and the scene is made ambiguous because of that. All he does his show an anime "sweat drop". Is he oggling her, appraising her objectively as a candidate, awkward around women, annoyed by how much she's talking? Each interpretation is valid, regardless of how much you know about the idol industry.

I've even said previously that the close up served a purpose, despite my apparent lack of knowledge about anything about the idol industry, which is somehow a prerequisite to understanding context? Given the subsequent scenes of T&A that don't have a narrative function, there might have been no intention beyond wanting to show some clumsy-angel Miyu cleavage. My reappraisal of the scene is entirely contingent on the fan service that has followed, that doesn't serve a purpose.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

That concert was practically too painful to watch, kind of reminds me of how uncomfortable I felt a couple episodes ago. But maybe I should give praise that there is areas for them to grow, they are not becoming instantly perfect unlike some other shows. I still wanted to pause it and not continue to feel embarrassed for them, before remembering that I had to continue.

It is like they were pretty much set up for failure in that the boss was pretty much letting them handle themselves, and keeping the same concert date.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That concert was practically too painful to watch,

Actually it wasn't the concert so much but the aftermath. From what I see the "President" gal and the "Manager" are doing next to nothing to coach them. The idols themselves seem pretty much on their own.

The I-9 team is huge, abundantly funded, brutally drilled, professionally promoted and ruthlessly culled. Someone needs to tell the WUG that there is no way they are going to be a stage power next to that. But so what? Someone needs to tell the WUG that they have to master the league they are in before they can go on to the next one. Of course they are depressed because they see no hope. They see no hope because they have no idea of what it is they are expected to achieve, much less how to achieve it. They will continue to see themselves as failures as long as they have untenable expectations. And that's the fault of management not the team. (end of rant)

BTW, who were the two girls that came to critique the WUG while they were rehearsing?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
BTW, who were the two girls that came to critique the WUG while they were rehearsing?

Twinkle, the ones writing their original songs.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode felt kinda stale to me. It was obvious they don't stand a chance against I-1 Club yet. Oh well, maybe they will improve themselves a bit in the future and do a lot better next time, especially for Mayu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well, the guy comes off as kind of a douche, but his criticism does have merit. Thinking a couple things, he has either been sent to ruin their self confidence, he wants them to succeed and is refining them to increase his reputation, or he might even be testing them.

spoiler[Airi is feeling that she does not belong, like she does not have a place], although I think she holds the sort of "dork position". Some people like the ones that try the hardest despite being a little clumsy and such. I know she is the one I am most rooting for. Yes, I am rooting for an animated idol.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
or he might even be testing them.

He is pretty clearly testing and challenging them at the same time. The current WUG team obviously doesn't have the drive to make it and he has to do something to change their mindset.

That brinksmanship at the end, though. Very risky.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Heh, no pain no game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Heh, no pain no game.

That's a variation that I haven't seen before (except from one person posting to CR)... Any particular game?
stephen12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm going to watch it. I will follow what you said, "watch movie first".
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Episode 7 is hardly my favorite episode. This seems to be the week of emoting self doubt all over the place. And the outcome was all too predictable.

Oh, well. As they say "persistence pays off." Anime words to live by.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Do you know what I realized this episode? It is that I really do prefer Love Live for its characters, they were all noticeably different and easy to gage their personalities.

But the episode had its good parts, the guy spoiler[did a good job of actually making them friends], and the emotional bit was nice for some spoiler[tearing up and a smile at seeing them bawl.]

I was feeling down earlier because I was feeling pretty pathetic at lack of my own skill, and I think that this was what I was waiting for.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, at least spoiler[Airi] is back with the team again and they got to step it up in the upcoming spoiler[festival]. I really hope they pull out something unique/different/earth-shattering or whatever it is out of their hats to stun the audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6