• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wizard Barristers (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote

Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil

Genres: action, magic, science fiction
Themes: superpowers, wizards
Plot Summary: In 2018, humans and wizards live together in Tokyo. Police continue to protect order in society, but wizards are tried according to magical law, in special courts defended by wizard barristers. At age seventeen, Cecile has just become the youngest wizard barrister, and begins work at the Butterfly Law Offices. While she hasn't realized it yet, she has tremendous magical potential.

Episode 1: Well that was actually good imo. The action on the train is nice just like how it was in the preview. A lot of magic going on at once though...

Cecile is adorable with her little hoodie on.

That frog is awkward though. A spoiler[frog massage]? Anime hyper
Yeah, I'll keep following this to see how it goes. It has potential!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I was already digging this before I knew that Cecil was half-Canadian: that put me right over the top. Blue Forest, Ontario, eh? I'm SURE such a place exists. I wonder if the show will actually do anything with her half-Canadian status in terms of playing with national stereotypes the way it would if she was half-American, -English, -French, etc.

I didn't know much about this show before watching the first episode but Yasuomi Umetsu's character designs are instantly recognizable. His fingerprints were all over the opening action scene, too.

I'm in love...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So, Umetsu's last show ends as a train wreck and the next begins with one. I'm sincerely hoping that was him acknowledging the mess of Galilei Donna and that this can work out. Like GD, this has promise, dynamic action, and a likable character, so I have my hopes.

Still, barely anything but "Key Animation" in his credits for years and suddenly two helmed sereis in succession. I guess people are hoping to capitalize on anticipated success of the live-action Kite movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Some of the CG needs serious improvement.
The characters look good though.
Story sounds ok, but it could go in any direction.
The whole lawyers thing is a unique concept.
Don't know what to expect.
Main characters are practically all girls.
Looks like they were saving the fun for the very end.
Not bad, but it's still missing something.
Think I'm gonna skip it.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Strong first episode, interesting look at the "what if magic was real" implications in the nature that it amounts to all magic users the equivalent of being armed (which could be interesting social commentary).

This is so far the most ambitious first episode of the season in regards to setting up the tone for its own world and set of characters.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh my,everything in this show looks like it was created in the 90s,those beautiful explosions,those character designs,shitty CG and even some of the heavily synthesized songs used in BGM.Yeah,I am gonna keep on watching this,hopefully the animation will remain consistent.
Quote:
I was already digging this before I knew that Cecil was half-Canadian: that put me right over the top. Blue Forest, Ontario, eh? I'm SURE such a place exists. I wonder if the show will actually do anything with her half-Canadian status in terms of playing with national stereotypes the way it would if she was half-American, -English, -French, etc.

I have an idea based up on that,considering how wizards are being discriminated and seen as the outcasts by the society,perhaps that is direct commentary on Japanese xenophobic nature?And they used Cecil's nationality to point that out?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

After reading your post I knew I had to check the show out. Canada is far too under used in anime, with the last instance I can remember being the Bernstein sisters from GJ-bu.

Anyways, definitely an interesting concept. Though the Umetsu-ness of it is a tad distracting considering what sorts of works he's best known for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Didja catch her Maple Leaf scooter helmet? Laughing If there is ever a Cecil figure made with that as an accessory, I must buy it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Of course, I wouldn't miss that, no matter how distracting Wakamoto's awesomeness is Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hell, even I noticed the Maple Leaf! I may not be Canadian, but I sure know its national symbol when I see it! Very Happy

If I recall, the manga/anime, Yawara! had a character from Canada in it as a fairly major recurring character.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I have an idea based up on that,considering how wizards are being discriminated and seen as the outcasts by the society,perhaps that is direct commentary on Japanese xenophobic nature?And they used Cecil's nationality to point that out?
I dunno, do xenophobes hate Canadians?

"Curse all you foreigners!"

"I'm actually Canadian."

"Oh. Well, that doesn't really count."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think anyone out there actively hates Canada... Except for Cuba, but that's only when they're mistaking us for America.

But yeah, in the international community Canada is either everyone's friend or just America's hat. Certainly Japan has reason to begrudge us considering what we did in WWII, but America is in the same boat there.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Let's see if I have this straight, the main character is supposed to be a lawyer (or barrister) and yet, she gets arrested at the end of the episode.

Wouldn't that mean she'd get herself fired because of that?

In fact most of the episode was, for lack of a better term, weak as hell (like the scene complaining about Cecile's outfit when the other girls had similar, non-lawfirm acceptable outfits). Plus that CGI was way too obvious and horrid looking (look at those cars, they look completely hollow).

Overall, I'll give this a shot for a few more episodes. But at this moment, it appears that I'm probably only going to watch just for the end credits. Nice character designs though.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I am pretty sure Brazilians do not like Canadians.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun episode. So I guess this show will be sort of like an anime version of Suits with magical powers. Honestly I am not too fond of the female designs in the show. The males look fine, but something about the females just seems off. I guess it would be the girls looking weird with those lower eyelashes.

I know she is hellbent on being the best lawyer, so she can spoiler[free her mother.] But why the hell would she say want to represent the people who spoiler[attacked and hurt her colleague.....?????]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20