• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - New Year's Resolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
First of all, yes, it's cheating to watch something at 2x speed. Shame on you Mike. Seriously though, if a show is bad enough that you want to fast forward through it, why not just say "this show is just irredeemable" and drop it like it's hot? If a show drags on enough for you to want it to be over faster, just move onto something better. If you don't want to stop watching it as a whole, then I say watch it at regular speed as it was intended by the artists.

My backlog is pretty decently sized, and last semester I was working my @$$ off 24/7 the entire time, so I didn't have time to watch a single series start to finish. I think the vast majority is only 26 or less episodes, but for all I know I might be forgetting about some 52 episode beast.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
My wife and I purged a lot of our collection a few years ago when we moved, but we still have a hefty backlog. With Crunchyroll and Netflix, though, most of our backlog has transitioned to the steaming titles.

That said, the top of my list for anime to finish in Q1 of this year is Revolutionary Girl Utena. After that, I have discs of Spice & Wolf and Kodocha staring me down, begging to be watched or finished, respectively. Those are just the three I can think of. I know we have more...
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
I generally only buy series I've already seen and know I'll want to watch again, so I never have any physical backlog. Well, I say that, but actually I had two series in my collection that I hadn't seen when I got home for winter break, Aoi Hana and the second half of Haibane Renmei. They're short, so I was able to watch both pretty quickly.

That said, while I don't have a physical backlog, the backlog of titles I want to watch digitally includes over one hundred shows and is constantly growing. I'm not really working toward eliminating it, though. It seems kind of natural to have a big backlog when you're a fan of something as broad as anime.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
Currently on my unwatched pile:

Maria Watches Over Us S4, disc 4
Kimagure Orange Road TV series Vol. 10 (only watched ep. 37 so far; savoring it since I finally found a relatively cheap copy to complete my set)
Kashimashi~Girl Meets Girl~ Vols. 1-3
My Bride is a Mermaid complete series
Sweet Blue Flowers complete series
Megazone 23 Part 2
Interstella 5555
Gundam 0083 complete series
Gundam movie trilogy
Gundam: Char's Counter Attack
Cowboy Bebop complete series
Yawara!
Rose of Versailles collection 1
Patlabor movies 1 & 2 (limited edition)
Zeta Gundam collections 1 & 2
Eko Eko Azarak (live-action) movie box set

I have a smaller backlog for American TV shows:

Battlestar Galactica (2003) complete series (currently in the middle of S2)
The Flash complete series
30 Rock S2
The Wire complete series
Justice League complete series
Gilmore Girls S2 & S3

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Crowjack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
I don' own much anime. I subscribe to Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix. I:m thinking about joining Funimations service also. There are a few ways I go about watching my anime. Firts off I try my best to watch all the current stuff I'm interested in sometime within the week it comes out. During those viewing times I try to widdle away at all the stuff I want to watch from previous seasons/years. If I know that I have 1-2 hours atleast of time to watch anime I simply just watch 1 new anime and then 1 older anime. If I have alot of time to watch stuff I usualy watch 1-3 new anime and 1-3 older anime. Basicaly I just pick 1 or 2 older/not current shows that I'd like to watch and until those are finished I don't start any other older shows. I find that if I pick 2 different type of shows it helps me to actually stick with the shws untill finish them. Like 1 slice of life anime and 1 fantasy or 1 mecha and 1 horror. Seems that whenevr I do that I don't get bored so bad if 1 or both shows stat to drag somewhere in the episodes. I also try my best to watch shows that are going to be taken off rather than something I might would rather watch. I just tell myself when I finally finish this show I can finally watch that 1 I've been really wating to watch. This s what works for me. By doing this I've finishd roughly 90-110 shows within the past 1 half to 2 1 half years.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
My backlog is all production artwork. There's a few cels that I need to scan and then send off the scans to the photoshopper to make them all sparkly and then update with on my online gallery. It's kind of disheartening to go through my "Coming Soon" section (which is hidden, otherwise that'd be a major embarrassment), spotting something you bought in 2007 and asking yourself why you have yet to update with it. Most of that backlog are all backgrounds, which, unless they're really awesome looking, don't create the same guilt trip as the nice cels and sketches do. I mean, who really gets excited about another grassy background? Can't see anyone flocking to visit my gallery to check that out.

So, yeah, in addition to setting an easy resolution of wearing pants (or anything with the word "pant" attached to it) daily, I'd like to update a lot more and get rid of the backlog.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
First, good article. Second WATCH PLANETEZ. It's not just an anime that gets put off till you run out of good anime to watch. It is on the top shelf in my mind. I thought it was really something special, and those anime are getting harder and harder to find. This is also having watched it with the english dub and several years after it's release so it's not nastalgia.

Third my physical backlog is almost all VHS anime. :/
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I have a sizable backlog but the only thing I'm really annoyed by is that I haven't watched the last few Urusei Yatsura OAVs and movies. I love the series, I got these as pre-orders when they came out from Animeigo (cripes, what, a decade ago now? gotta be close), how the hell have I not gotten to them?
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I have this problem it's only piling up more and more years ago it used to be even worse i would watch like 1 dvd of a series and then almost always drop it to go to the next series and repeat the same thing.

Now i usally watch what i get new first and watch only like up to 4-5 series at the same time that i have on dvd so you could say i'm at least keeping up with what i get new for the most part.
But i still would say i have a pile of some 100-150 series and many movies that i haven't even watched some stuff that ends up behind the first dvd layer of a shelf and i might just forget about since i don't see it verry often.

As to make things worse i also have many series in languages i don't really understand like old Tezuka series (that just need to be released in English in the first place) and things like that when i feel like it i just get whatever stuff i can get my hands on no matter the language or whatever.

Not to mention i have releases from Europe ASIA AUSTRALIA AMERICA SOUTH AMERICA you name it so probably the most messed up collection you could think of.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Some of my unwatched anime are listed below. And my reasons numbers 1-4 are highlighted in gray:

1 - Mushi-Shi
2 - Clannad
3 - Appleseed XII
4 - Last Exile - Fam

Reasons for not watching:

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
digritz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm like 50 and I have a backlog over about 100 shows, movies and OVA's. With another 100 partway through. Mind you I've been watching anime since the late 60's so I can say, with some confidence, it will never get smaller.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
"I" don't have a huge backlog order of anime. Maybe a dozen new shows from spring/summer, a handful of sets I picked up, and anything new streaming now. HOWEVER, my gf on the other hand...sweet baby Jesus I'm never going to get her caught up lol. She got into anime several years ago. She's seen many newer shows and some from mid 2000's up til now. Before that though....yea not so much.

I used to work for Suncoast so my physical dvd collection takes up 5 big deep 2 row cabinets. We went through my collection a while back to look for stuff she would want to watch. I knew that was a bad idea lol. She picked out a lot. And of course if she hasn't seen it and wants to watch it that means I haven't seen and want to watch it too lol. Adding them onto stuff from this past year....I'm going to need A LOT of coffee and Chinese carry out. On the plus side many of the shows I have not seen in years myself. So it will be fun to see them again and see how I feel about them now after several years of not having seen them.

Here's a picture of just the first group we've picked out. There's another 2 groups this size. Plus the digital stuff on the computer. Every "single" dvd you see indicates a whole set. Just not enough room on the desk for them all heh.

ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Dude, it's just our lifetime's piling up...

It is for this reason that I have continually put off getting a Roku box for the TV... my backlog is already massive. What happens when it goes exponential? Black. Hole.

Taking the other tack - I've decided to rationalize all of this by suggesting that if I'm supporting all my favorite artists [directors, seiyuu, animators, etc.] What's the harm? There are things just sitting on the shelf waiting, and if I get around to it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, the issue I find, is that after a day of hitting computers with hammers to make them work, sometimes I can't muster the energy to watch a new thing. I want to sit down with something familiar, and laugh my butt off to some sight gag, or shout at the protagonist to "just give her a damn hug, already".

Some of this backlog is just FEAR. BECAUSE sometimes you started buying disks and then could NEVER find another Disk 3 of Tenchi OVA, till years later when they released a set... You may be like me and start buying things sight unseen, just to make sure you have them.
PLUS there are things you just NEED to have, and then... maybe you have decided that you might not be ready to watch. I went and bought Sai Kano years ago, on Bamboo's advice, and then decided that I haven't been ready for such a heavy show. Same with AnoHana.

It's pretty rare that I don't complete, but sometimes it's hard to step in that same river. And then there's Black Lagoon, that I just keep putting off.

It's all good. When I retire someday, I'm gonna watch anime all day long... or something.

The current plan is to watch stuff like I was watching an anime channel. One ep of a show a day or week... watching a couple of different things a night. I figure there will be ones that I really like, that I HAVE to watch, and others that are OK, that I may not finish... and that way I can mix eras too. Some stuff I have is older, and some only a year past, and it is jarring to see the difference in quality/technology constraints, but if you lose yourself in a story, it doesn't matter.

Ultimately, I jokingly blame RightStuf for being too good to us around Christmas... I buy something a couple of years old that is suddenly cheap, just 'because I was curious. Sometimes it's golden [surprisingly NyanKoi], and sometimes just doesn't click [B Geta H Kai], but it's all good.

It wasn't all that long ago that I was haunting bins at Second Spin, hoping against hope that I could find a missed or replacement disc... or paying an astonishing premium to buy something from Suncoast.

We do have an embarrassment of riches... don't be too sorry not to watch it all. One can't be everywhere, seemingly.

"I can see my lifetime pilin' up
Reaching from my bedroom to the stars...
Are there any pirates on this ship ?
And if they sober up - they'll have us
Home by morning-"
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's all good. When I retire someday, I'm gonna watch anime all day long... or something.

I have a very similar plan. Nice summery of the situation.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I did have a terrible physical backlog, but I tackled it a couple of years ago. The only unwatched discs I have now are part of Kannagi and The Princess and the Pilot because I just recently bought them. (Thanks to Justin Sevakis recommending them on Answerman and ANNCast. Kannagi is so good!)

I think it's okay to watch shows in 2x or 1.5x speed. It really helped with School Rumble for me. Although, I wouldn't do that anymore. I am more careful about what I buy and what I watch. I will just drop a show now instead of trying to dredge through it just to see the end or whatever.

There are a lot of streaming shows and shows on my computer that I still need to watch or finish though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5