• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - New Year's Resolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch a lot of anime and go through it within a week, but with a full time job (and even in my last few years of College) my anime viewing and back order got huge. I just recently finish Ghost in the Shell: SAC both season and that took me a year after buying them. I also have:

Suzuka
Rose of Versailles
Princess Tutu
Persona 4
Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Kannagi
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs
Hataraki Man

Those are on my list, and it will most likely grow as well.
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Back in the single-volume DVD days I kept pretty close track of my [growing] backlog by simply gauging the number of inches of incoming shelf growth vs. the [fewer] number of inches of growth on the watched shelf. With the advent of various-sized boxed sets, that system took the handbasket to hell ages ago, suffice it to say that you're not beyond salvation if your backlog can't be measured in multiples of your own body mass.

I'm a bit shocked that the woe of the interwebs has not yet befallen Mike; I believe an approaching Dr. Doppler would instead increase in pitch and/or turn [Gamilon] blue. Then again I think I see where you're coming from. It's way more entertaining for the nTh-generation grandson of Doppler to be sort of a misfit scientist...kinda like a character on Big Bang Theory but brilliant exclusively in useless sciences.

You're a sharp one Mr. Toole; I won't underestimate you again!
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Just counted my anime backlog for the first time.
101 series
11 movies

That's not even counting the non anime dvd's/ blu rays, video games, books, and comics/manga. God, I hadn't realized how bad it's gotten. I got too many hobbies (and maybe a slight shopping addiction).
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a physical backlog, as I typically only buy shows that I have seen and enjoyed and movies. The shows that I have not yet watched I usually finish a week after getting them. The only ones that linger are movies, and a lot of them aren't anime. I need to finish watching Porco Rosso, the Illusionist, A Cat in Paris, Dr. Strangelove, and Be Kind Rewind. I do have an online backlog, however: I need to finish Sky Girls, Higurashi Kai, Mardock Scramble, Aura, the Aim for the Ace movie, To Love Ru Darkness, Bodacious Space Pirates, Fantasista Doll and am currently finishing Gatchaman Crowds. I need to watch From the New World, Kyousogiga, and most of Satoshi Kon's and Kenji Nakamura's series. Video games, on the other hand, I do have a backlog. I have a lot of JRPG's, but I think I've only finished one of them(FF tactics advanced, + the Pokemon games).

The info about Gaiking and Starzinger,etc. was really interesting though. I heard about the releases but I had no idea what they were. BTW how old are the Winkler dubs? Are they from the 70's, or are they new?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
So I guess the usage of the term "backlog" is mainly applied to anime titles that you own but you need to get around to, not necessarily in your streaming or to-watch pile? It seems only a few have talked about what they have left to watch on their streaming lists on Crunchyroll and such when discussing backlog.

If backlog correlates more so with physically owned titles, then, there are definitely a handful on my part: Vision of Escaflowne, which I largely blind bought back when Bandai Entertainment's end was within sight; Haibane Renmei, which is in big need of a rewatch since the last time I saw the whole thing was almost ten years ago, spread across months of Geneon's singles; Ground Control to Psycho-Electric Girl, whose limited edition I actually earned in that ANN contest just over a year ago but stopped after episode 3 for some reason; and, uh.... El Cazador de la Bruja, Part 1? (Granted, it's not often you see half an anime series in a Goodwill for only $4.) Perhaps there'd be more, but I only have so much money and shelf space. I think my backlog of games is a bit more serious, though...

My streaming pile is definitely deeper, especially if I go as far as to add my current "Want to Watch" list here on ANN. I wonder if it'll be wise to aim to go through most of them this year, on top of actually keeping up with simulcasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
kevinx59, The dubbed Gaiking, Danguard Ace, and Starzinger were produced in 2009 in Japan. Toei wanted their older series to get a dvd release.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
"I" don't have a huge backlog order of anime. Maybe a dozen new shows from spring/summer, a handful of sets I picked up, and anything new streaming now. HOWEVER, my gf on the other hand...sweet baby Jesus I'm never going to get her caught up lol. She got into anime several years ago. She's seen many newer shows and some from mid 2000's up til now. Before that though....yea not so much.

I used to work for Suncoast so my physical dvd collection takes up 5 big deep 2 row cabinets. We went through my collection a while back to look for stuff she would want to watch. I knew that was a bad idea lol. She picked out a lot. And of course if she hasn't seen it and wants to watch it that means I haven't seen and want to watch it too lol. Adding them onto stuff from this past year....I'm going to need A LOT of coffee and Chinese carry out. On the plus side many of the shows I have not seen in years myself. So it will be fun to see them again and see how I feel about them now after several years of not having seen them.

Here's a picture of just the first group we've picked out. There's another 2 groups this size. Plus the digital stuff on the computer. Every "single" dvd you see indicates a whole set. Just not enough room on the desk for them all heh.

I have the venus wars on vhs, it was unexpectedly good
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
kevinx59, The dubbed Gaiking, Danguard Ace, and Starzinger were produced in 2009 in Japan. Toei wanted their older series to get a dvd release.
Woah thats surprisingly recent. Makes me want to see that Ashita no Nadja dub Toole mentions. At least I think its that show. Blonde girl, European setting, Dandelion corporation? I saw a bit of what I think is that show on a saturday morning in a hotel in Mexico in the mid 2000's. Anybody know if this fits? I've been trying to figure out if thats the show. Oh and Gatchaman Crowds is finished. One anime off my backlog.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
I don't consider myself a collector, really, but I love libraries and used book stores. So if I happen to find myself in, say, a library in a different state with a booksale and some old manga or anime single disc that I may never have heard of is on sale, but maybe it's good, and I only have a few minutes, so I have to decide *now* whether or not to get it, well... My collection is erratic and random, with vol 6 of this and vol 8 of that, with just about no plan of completing most sets.

If I'm only counting physical anime that I purchased and never watched, here are a few things I have (used stores, library sales, cons, RightStuf/Crunchyroll sales, etc):
-Ayane's High Kick (I can't figure out what vol it is!)
-Cromartie High School vol. 1
-The Gokusen, all three singles + an extra vol. 3
-Patlabor TV vol 6
-Kimagure Orange Road Summer's Beginning (I never saw KOR, & the movie probably aint a great place to start)
-Red Garden box set
-Tweeny Witches vols 1&2
-Urusei Yatsura vols 6, 7, & 8 (I never saw UY)
-Emma season 2 (loved the manga, but the show is so slowly paced...but it was on sale!)
-They Were Eleven OVA
-Wolf's Rain vol 1 (thank goodness the rest of it is on Hulu now!)
I have more manga (buying Psychic Girl Mai vol 2 but not 1 was probably a poor purchase decision), and some DVDs, including tons of Full Metal Alchemist (1st series) singles begging to be rewatched, at my parent's house. I also have some American animation and live action (I don't think I'll ever get through Buffy the Vampire Slayer!)

The streaming revolution has led me to discover that I much, much rather watch shows as they come out than marathon them. I curse Netflix for releasing full series all at once! You lose momentum and anticipation when it's all there and, imo, you don't absorb the show as well when you take it all in one gulp. It's certainly not what most creators have in mind.

Thank you for the article, and feel free to share your progress with us! It'll inspire us all to get through our backlogs!
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
I have the venus wars on vhs, it was unexpectedly good

Just watched Venus Wars a year or so ago with the Discotek rescue. Needed an extra drink to deal with how awesome it was. The tank scenes made me adjust my sitting position several times... The CG tanks in GuP are pretty awesome, especially for an old WWI and WWII war buff like me, but there is something special you feel with the hand drawn insanity of those tanks in Venus Wars.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I see the GGG boxset in the background. I actually finished that series a good while ago. Now all I need is 'Final' to add to my collection.

Yep, I definitely have a backlog. The majority of it are shows that I picked up on a whim from my HS days. You'd hear about a certain film and then you wondered why it was so talked about like Rintarou's 'Harmageddon'. Or if you're so savvy on the Japanese (like these fans were) 'Genma Taisen'. I have yet to sit and watch this film. I used to watch a few of these vintage titles I collected on weekends when I'm home. But lately over a period of time "life" gets in the way. Sometimes you find yourself having so much time on your hands that you just can't find the time to break out a DVD and just sit and watch. Not only do I have some older shows to watch but I have stuff I didn't finish left on my external HD. Plus, new stuff I bought.I have a collection of stuff that I've seen from my HS days, from online streaming but also new titles that I have no clue if I'll like it or not. And of course when I get around to watching it I finally begin to understand why some people watch shows on TV once and don't buy unless they really want it. "Did I really enjoy Key the Metal Idol? Will I like watching Loups Garou?"

Just to get an idea of shows that need watching I watched season 1 of 'Code Geass' but haven't watched the second. I bought 'Roberta's Blood Trail' and it sits waiting to be watched. I bought 'Kamichu' and still haven't finished (remember that whole deal when fansubbers had to give up after a certain ep. because it went straight to DVD). That sits on my shelves collecting dust. I purchased the complete 'Gatchaman' series when ADV films was around and only watched a few episodes from set 1 out of 105. I bought and donated 'Nadia' and 'Gundam-Z' to my library. I decided to watch them before everyone else. I wanted to know why Gundam Z was such a big thing for those that watched it. Char lovers everywhere and crazy Camille. So I suppressed the record so no one would find it in the catalog and brought it home to watch uninterrupted and guess what? Sitting around since 2008. I finally finished watching NIS 'Dororon Enma-kun' before New Years. I want to get back into watching some of these shows that are sitting on the back-burner. Even with CR and ANN's streaming when they started has been a big plus, but even now finding the time is an issue. And I think it's because many of the shows that have came out haven't really grabbed me as much or I just don't care enough to find out if it will grab me. The only 2 shows that I followed was 'Attack on Titan' and 'Kill la Kill' (which I'm religiously watching). But I've been trying to go back and find the time to watch shows on the weekend like I used to. This week I'll be watching some stuff.

So Toei tried to screw over Go Nagai. Now why would any company want to do that to a person who it's trying to get a leg up. I've never watched Gaiking but can only imagine what it entailed. Again is was an old anime club fan during my college years who sat me down and introduced his love for these old robot shows. By the time I was done I realized why papa 'Go' was so important and why "hot blooded" heroes might cause you to run out and build a robot. Oh talk about the amount of testosterone in those shows. That show; Starzinger, I remember seeing this show in some older anime magazines from the 80's (which I still have in my collection). I remember seeing that Jean guy. I remember being fascinated by that headband. Who would have thought that some years later I would find out the legacy behind it and every interpretation of it. I have to admit that much of the older robot shows were fun stuff. But in order for me to sit down and watch some of these shows I have to be in the mood for.

I love the music to the old robot shows. Shunsuke Kikuchi and Chuumei Watanabe are major composers of the OS robot genre. Both knew how to really bring out the power in these shows. But Shunsuke had this deep sound that could really shake a house down. Lots of brass, bass and heavy drums. If you didn't feel it then I feel very sorry for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5