• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls und Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Man that was cringe worthy to read.

Edit-Not the article. The previous post.

No, the article was fine. I read it because I wanted to know what this Girls and Panzer thing is, because based on surface things like looks it dosen't look like anything I want to watch. Yet, their seems to be a huge uproar about it. Can't say the review made me interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow...SO not only does GuP not have the Russian song, but they also changed the name of an entire tank? Wow. I LOVE the show but I'd rather import than buy it from such lazy slobs that cant spend 5 minutes googling.

You nickpick quite a bit as well though....
Quote:
the assumption that Miho is basically just some kind of strategy and risk-taking wunderkind.
You're ignoring the fact that most anime is made FOR the manga fans or to increase manga sales. They do explain in teh anime that Miho is from a family famous for their tank skills and that she was trained. The manga of course goes further with a prequel of sorts that explains a lot about her past.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The anime is an original though, so any manga fans would have been born out of their love for the show first.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

So episodes of girls sitting in a tank firing at a unmoving target time and again is something that would have made for exciting episodes?

Actually, yes. Because that's how they learn how to shoot better. Along the way, they strengthen their relationship with their teammates, help each other become better, maybe uncover reasons why they were emotionally unable to hit their targets before, and bring up the whole school-shutting-down thing earlier so that the entire team is more emotionally invested in their training and the outcome of their training. This is how character development works, and if you think that training episodes are solely for the purpose of watching people shooting at unmoving targets, then you've never seen a properly written sports show. Training episodes are as much about letting the characters grow as people, as they are about shooting better, running faster, training harder. Victory is like 1% skill, 1% luck, and 98% training.

Quote:
More mock battles where Team A would again beat the stuffing out their teammates? Even in the training montage, Team A were the only ones to hit their target.

The purpose of training is so that the other teams catch up, so that Team A isn't the only one to hit their target. In the process, the other girls learn to trust each other more, bolster each other up more, talk to each other, figure out each other's motivations for joining the club, what victory personally means to them, etc. Then these girls become real characters, with real lives.

Quote:
Didn't really care for it despite finding it entertaining, missed the point of the series completely by complaining about needless things being needlessly left out but it is progress.

Nope, I got the point of the series, but I think the series could have been better. This is not some black and white thing where a show is either Crap or Perfect. There is no such thing as perfect, and if there was, Girls und Panzer certainly isn't it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, if your planning to check out Netflix shows, I highly recommend Orange is the New Black. It's a great show, with a huge cast of female characters, drama balanced with the right amount of humor, and Capt. Janeway as a Russian mob wife.

Anyway, I've always thought I should give sports shows a chance even though I don't care for most sports (if only figure skating were a popular anime topic, at least during Olympic season). The manga REAL by Takehiko Inoue is excellent, but wheelchair basketball aint the average sport. I'm curious: what would you consider to be a quintessential sports anime?
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Bamboo, if your planning to check out Netflix shows, I highly recommend Orange is the New Black. It's a great show, with a huge cast of female characters, drama balanced with the right amount of humor, and Capt. Janeway as a Russian mob wife.

Anyway, I've always thought I should give sports shows a chance even though I don't care for most sports (if only figure skating were a popular anime topic, at least during Olympic season). The manga REAL by Takehiko Inoue is excellent, but wheelchair basketball aint the average sport. I'm curious: what would you consider to be a quintessential sports anime?

I agree! Orange is the New Black is really good. I can't wait for the second season.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Bamboo, if your planning to check out Netflix shows, I highly recommend Orange is the New Black.

Very high on my list! I'm gonna make it happen!

Quote:

What I love about anime and manga is the diverse amount of sports covered. I mean, there's even a curling manga. For older series, I have a soft spot for shows like Yawara, but I think some of the best sports anime out there include Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I think some of the best sports anime out there include Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21.

Not disputing your choices, but as much as I LOVE Eyeshield 21, it has a fatal flaw in that the mangaka did a GREAT job building to what is essentially the MIDDLE contest. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making all the games following that one successively less interesting despite (or maybe because of?) the consistent increase in challenge.

I also have a soft spot for "Whistle" which does a good job of not making the main character and wunderkind that has inexplicable skill, but still keeps him compelling. It also fits with your assessment of what constitutes victory. Wink
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Regarding Girls und Panzer, I'd much rather see the story of how this particular matriarchal society came about than all this tankery chicanery.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I feel somewhat betrayed by all of those who claimed that this show was bereft of moeblob fanservice, those who backed up that claim by spreading the tale of the director stopping the animators from sneaking in panty shots and such, as episode 2 features a moeblob swimsuit & wet t-shirt sequence. Lines like "if my shirt gets any wetter you could see through my bra" must have been forgotten by those who made the "no fanservice" claims. I like prurient fanservice, but not when the subject of the fanservice is moeblob characters who look as though they could be mistaken for being only 50-75% as old as their given age. That just ain't for me.

Also, what the hell happened with the dub?! Sentai completely failed with this one. This is a show that is zany and absurd and it knows it and the Japanese dubbers know it (though they lack verve in implementing it) but the Sentai dub lacks soul and takes the show far too seriously, as if Sentai's dubbers didn't know it. Did Janice Williams somehow miss that this wasn't a super-serious "feels" type of show (ie:what she has directed in the past)? This is rather like a Bang/Zoom dub, though Bang/Zoom did a heck of a better job on the similar (and better) K-On!. As a Sentai fan this pains me greatly, especially as Sentai dubbed similar shows well. As a dub fan it all but kills me that the subtitle track on this, weak as it is (and make no mistake, it is weak), beats the living daylights out of the dub (at least as far as ep 3).
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Bamboo Dong-san

I am sorry to see that you feel your slangy relaxed and "cool' approach to reviewing is what we the readers and appreciators of Anime might enjoy. Frankly I find your manner and your style crude, immature and quite shallow. For my main focus your review of the outstanding series Girls und Panzer was as far off the mark as is almost possible.

The series is superb in almost every way, being a jewel of anime development style, art and story. The Characters, ALL of them are well done and balanced with the focus and scale of the project. They did a strong single season and did it well. There was not time for an in depth development of the main characters but we get enough of each of them to love them all. The show is unique almost in that it in fact develops ALL of the characters to a degree if you watch it carefully and gives them life and strength to stand as a group.

The focus of the story is NOT the tanks they are the least important part of it, it is the team work and the group effort and the love of their school that is the real story. It teaches much about character, and life and friendship which is the goal of much of Japanese School life and of much of anime. As a westerner and a Gaijin you show your bias and your lack of understanding which comes out in your approach and the casual and demaning way you dismiss much of what is really good about this show.

The art style and the characters are crisp, artistic and well done, they use the latest of anime style but don't push it, and don't make the mistake of trying to make "art" into faddish far outness. The setting is Ourai yes but it is much more, it focuses on the heritage of WWII for Japan which is very strong still and nothing for them to ashamed of, and the expert who advised them on the tanks also did the background for another very well known series featuring WWII military ships and planes.

The use of the various nations as background for the school ships was very clever and well done, never going too far in the parody and was a fun part of the show.

Overall I consider it a classic and the Japanese audience thinks so too, which is the primary audience and standard for anime. I am glad westerners enjoy anime as much as they do but many of them including you could learn a lot more about how to appreciate what is good and what is great about anime in depth, scale and in value.

I hope in time you will take the time to watch the series again several times and I hope that your appreciation will deepen. Mine does each time I watch the series and I have watched it now about 6 times and plan to do so again soon. A movie will come out soon to help extend the series and I hope for another season.

Oh good god, this post belongs on /r/cringe....

GuP is an entertaining, feel good show that follows typical underdog sports team tropes. There is no shame in loving it, but putting it on a pedestal like that....and also saying Japan has "nothing to be ashamed of" from WW2 is a bit pushing it.

I mean, the series has historical shout-outs that made me squee like a fanboy...but it didn't really "delve" into WWII (which is the right decision IMO, good god you don't want to open that can of worms). Also, please honorific/Japanrish. You do realize this is an English speaking forum.

Its makes it that much harder to take such a wunderbar post seriously.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
You don't like a series that I like, so I'm going to insult you and then go on a rant hyping up a show that's actually 'very good' at best.

The only thing that made me want to finish GuP was the tank battles. I couldn't connect with any of the characters (except possibly Miho)because they weren't actual characters but merely some tropes with a few tweaks thrown on the screen. It reminds me of urban fantasy books where you get slim details about characters and that's it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

The series is superb in almost every way, being a jewel of anime development style, art and story
No...just no. Maybe it is something to like-many do, but I'm not among them-but if it is a "jewel of anime development" then the Japanese might as well just throw in the towel on this whole anime thing.
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
it focuses on the heritage of WWII for Japan which is very strong still and nothing for them to ashamed of, and the expert who advised them on the tanks also did the background for another very well known series featuring WWII military ships and planes.
If this show focuses on that Japanese heritage then it should have had all of the tanks representing the applicable Allied powers get beaten initially by the Japanese, only to come back and beat the Japan senseless (we're talking ROFLstomp here) and it should have had the Japanese really screw over the Germans. BTW, being in a state of constant retreat once the US started waging its war in the pacific is something for the Japanese to be ashamed of. They fought, sure, but they never really won. Not that I, as a proud American, am complaining. Wink
phia_one wrote:
I couldn't connect with any of the characters (except possibly Miho)because they weren't actual characters but merely some tropes with a few tweaks thrown on the screen.
I couldn't agree more. I feel as though I saw this very same cast of characters before in K-On!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Regarding Girls und Panzer, I'd much rather see the story of how this particular matriarchal society came about than all this tankery chicanery.

What makes you think it's a matriarchal society?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
trilaan wrote:

What makes you think it's a matriarchal society?

Because thats clearly the only reason girls would be interested in tanks, amirite?

Anyway, there is a whole history of Sensha-do provided in supplementary materials. Its translated...somewhere, I forget.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5