• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akame ga KILL! Dark Action Fantasy Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Yes finally!! I can't wait!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
girl brainwashed as an assassin

eh, this is not exactly right unleash i forgetting something
Dreyc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Edsese Edsese Edsese~

Be still my beating heart...
nothealer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
YES my favorite manga got an anime Very Happy
i only have 1 thing to say (please don't rune it)
GiriOni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ooooh! Interesting... with all the attention it has been getting I'm not surprised, but pleased nonetheless.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Oh my gosh best news this week. I'm so excited to see this happen, and I expect it'll be insanely huge seeing the success of shows with the same theme.

I wonder what studio is going to pick it up, that's going to play an important role.

Other than that, I'm super excited to see Esdese get animated. I sincerely hope they don't censor some of the brutal scenes.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
YES! My favorite ultraviolent manga is going to be an ultraviolent anime!

Or, at least it will be on DVD and Blu-ray. Our luck, the entire screen's gonna be blacked out watching this series. Let's hope some leniency is shown for a change.

Now, who's animating it? Gainax?
blindworm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
this can give them a chance to fix a lot of the flaws in the manga, and actually expand on the things they set up but never follow through with
Mr_42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
Hell Yes!Now just don't try and censor out the darker elements okay?!
Keep it dark, bloody and visceral. Anime hyper

blindworm wrote:
this can give them a chance to fix a lot of the flaws in the manga, and actually expand on the things they set up but never follow through with

I'm curious, which part are you referring to Question
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
It sounds kinda bland but the reactions seem pretty positive so I guess I'll look forward to it with higher hopes than normal.
Skullface

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
rrizqiw wrote:
Quote:
girl brainwashed as an assassin

eh, this is not exactly right unless i'm forgetting something

The summary itself of the plot is rather... bad and incorrect. I mean it doesn't even talk about Night Raid who are fundamental to the plot. Akame is only one character in a pretty big cast. Though I shouldn't expect much because some of ANN's summaries in the past have been even worse.

To fix/expand on the summary, (pretty minor spoilers) spoiler[Akame was previously brainwashed by the Empire, but got away from them a while back. She now works with a group of assassins named Night Raid, who are trying to take down the Empire. Tatsumi doesn't just meet Akame, but the entire group Night Raid, who he then later joins after they 'show' him why the Empire is not the happy place he thinks it is.]

I don't know the other summary I feel gives some misconceptions. Just for anyone who wishes to know more about the actual plot.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
It's definitely a lot more detailed than the description gives off.

It has very interesting characters, a plot that's not afraid to do a bit of GRRM storytelling, and a very compelling world.

The best I could compare it to, though I hate doing comparisons like this, is that it's even darker than Shingeki no Kyojin is. There is stuff like brutal torture and mass murder of tens of thousands at a time.

It also deals equally with the storytelling of both sides, and neither are truly "good" or "bad".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
The designs look fantastic and that expanded plot and other comments about the story sounds interesting and promising with a lot of praise, looking forward to this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
There's a certain flaw in all of this as here's the first question that popped in my head when reading the article's synopsis:

"What Empire?" Oh, The Empire, yeah, makes perfect sense.

Sure, great character designs, probable violence and rebellion against, whatever, but even Star Wars has enough sense to say "Well, here it's the Galactic Empire."

Context, setting and character motivation beyond "The Empire is evil!" would much appreciated. The idea that the rebellion gets named while the "land" does not makes me wonder about some things.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
There's a certain flaw in all of this as here's the first question that popped in my head when reading the article's synopsis:

"What Empire?" Oh, The Empire, yeah, makes perfect sense.

Sure, great character designs, probable violence and rebellion against, whatever, but even Star Wars has enough sense to say "Well, here it's the Galactic Empire."

Context, setting and character motivation beyond "The Empire is evil!" would much appreciated. The idea that the rebellion gets named while the "land" does not makes me wonder about some things.

Anything more is not needed. It's insanely nitpicky and stupid to have anything added. It's like being angry that a peasant says "Down with the King!"

Would you then be like, "What King? You have to add context or I won't understand what you mean! It doesn't matter that you probably mean the King of which country we are currently in. The least you could say is the Galactic King! Else I would have no clue of what you mean!"

Long story short, "The Empire" is perfect. It would actually be incorrect to refer to it by its name because that would make the reader assume that they are talking about a different countries Empire.

Things don't have to have a name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3