• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Looking to Smartphones for Game 'Awareness'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Make smartphone users aware of Nintendo games but not putting games on smart phones. How exactly will they do that? More ads?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
I think it's too late for Nintendo to make these moves as a way of salvaging their own console sales.

The problem is that consoles, as such, aren't going to be the force that they have been and three major platforms may be - no almost assuredly are - too many for the market.

No, it may be that beating a retreat to handhelds and putting out their money maker titles on other platforms, console & smartphone / tablet, is the way forward.

Mark Gosdin
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Raising game "awareness" isn't going to help when the console has no games. I'd hope this means raising awareness for what the WiiU is, because there's been very little marketing for it and it's also confusingly branded.

Anyways, I'm wondering what will happen when the big games (Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, etc.) come out. Because it's really the games that sell the console.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
I just find it funny how Nintendo has to keep telling people this. It's amazing at how certain people just can't get it through their skulls that Nintendo isn't interested in smart phone games
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I just find it funny how Nintendo has to keep telling people this. It's amazing at how certain people just can't get it through their skulls that Nintendo isn't interested in smart phone games

Because the company is losing money and placing first party NES games on the Apple and Google stores is a license to print money? Not to mention it would combat the presence of emulators flat out being sold on Google's store for Nintendo consoles.

But hey, if they don't want to, it's their call. But they can't cry foul if other companies make money off of them.
isoge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
So, nintendo wants to just raise awareness of the games? I know about the wii u, and I know of its games. I have seen the commercials. I have seen the gameplay videos. I am aware. I still wouldn't buy.

What I am getting from this is that they want to put up mario apps or zelda apps where you read about zelda or link or mario or whatever. But nothing more than that.

This stinks of so much failure I can't even begin to describe it. Way to go, Nintendo. Way to go.

By the way, wouldn't a pokemon game on the ios or android be really cool? I know I would buy, and I guess I'm not the only one because of the popularity of the fake pokemon yellow game that appeared on the app store and managed to sneak in to the toplist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1