• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sankarea: Undying Love BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I ended up dropping this when the show got really serious about her abusive father, apparently I didn't miss much. It was just so cartoonish, I really think they should have only hinted at it and never actually spend any time on it, I was never quite sure if I was suppose to laugh at how ridiculous the situation was, kinda like a really bad horror movie where all the actor are so unconvincing you can't help but laugh.

And I'm glad it was pointed at how fan service was so…. hypocritical in this context. Hate it when anime try to have this whole "don't see women has sexual object" and yet turn around and give tons of fan service. I can't see people being like "argh her father's a monster for taking naked picture" and all the while being excited at the prospect of seeing those very same picture. Anime watcher aren't that dense, right?

It could have been interesting if instead of romance, the lead character realize what it actually entail to date a zombie, and actually became slowly disgusted by the idea, all the while feeling like he had an obligation to help her.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Rea's father is evil and quite depraved. The show wasn't going for a anti sexual objectification vibe. Just about a girl that wanted to be free of her depraved father's attention.

Most anime are not 'message' shows.

Rea has been reborn, and wants to have a normal life as any other teenager, within the limits of her condition.

@meiam
Might be interesting, but pretty depressing. Hattori Mitsuru is not known for writing depressing stories. Though in a way you are right, Chihiro already suspects the worst. But love will probably pave the way.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Gotta admit, the bit with Chihiro filming Rea at the mall absolutley screamed "Look at the parallels, please!" but entirely ignored it. Is that the way it is in the manga? Bizarre.
The show's a weird dichotomy of unusual tact and skill (Chihiro's cousin), and flat, tasteless pandering (maid-induced photoshoot). I also thought the opening and closing themes were quite good.
Quite good is an understatement IMO. It was quite possibly the best OP/ED combo of 2012. Best thing about the show for me was his sister, cat, and the music.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as "poor" and "drivel," but I must admit that the bunny suit business was more than a little ridiculous.

Okay, "drivel" is an exaggeration, but I definitely stand behind my assertion that the second half was "poor".
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Rebecca, I'm curious why you would take the time to review this recalled release instead of waiting for the re-release. While it's unlikely, there is always the possibility that Funi will do more than just change the video to the home version from the broadcast version. And while I haven't seen the show, I would imagine that having the gory scenes uncensored may give a different impression on those parts of the show, whether positive or negative.
Were you planning on revisiting the show with the re-release and updating the review (like an addendum or something) if there's a significant difference in the release or the way the show plays out uncensored?

This was the review copy I received. I'd love to revisit it with the extra episode(s) and the uncensored gory bits, although it is likely that since I already reviewed this version, someone else (I guess Carl or Hope) would review an uncensored re-release. From reading the manga, yes, seeing the gore does change one's reaction - just look at the cover for volume 4.

ajr:

Yes, the Rea fanservice is in the manga too. I sometimes got the feeling from the first couple of volumes that Hattori didn't really know what kind of story he was writing.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Yes, the Rea fanservice is in the manga too. I sometimes got the feeling from the first couple of volumes that Hattori didn't really know what kind of story he was writing.

That's interesting. Yeah, this is an excellent example of what a dark light-hearted supernatural romance ero-fanservice offbeat comedy drama looks like, although I guess I can't say I've really seen one before. It's kind of fascinating just trying to figure out what went wrong where, and how it could have been fixed without messing up the portions of the show that charm, especially because I think there's some overlap between the two.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Zombies are moe now? Really?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

This was the review copy I received. I'd love to revisit it with the extra episode(s) and the uncensored gory bits, although it is likely that since I already reviewed this version, someone else (I guess Carl or Hope) would review an uncensored re-release. From reading the manga, yes, seeing the gore does change one's reaction - just look at the cover for volume 4.

Ah, well that makes sense. You gotta review what you're given. Can't exactly put it on hold for the possibility of a review copy of the re-release.

Regardless of who reviews the re-release, if you don't, I hope you'll share your thoughts on the new release in the forums at that time Smile

And yeah, that's a pretty striking image.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Sankarea's ending is a deliberate cliffhanger that seems to imply a second season that we never got. Luckily you can simply pick up the manga at volume three to find out what happens next...

I kind of despise shows that are really just elaborate advertisements for the original material.

I can't claim to be principled in that regard, though; I happily bought Princess Jellyfish, which pulls the exact same stunt.

not just those series. a majority of series ( Deadman Wonderland,Tokko,Vampire Knight,Claymore,Soul Eater,Blue Exorcist ) and OVAs (Angel Sancutary,Bastard ) which are all good , but get cut massively short with very disappointing and incomplete endings as a very bad mean to advertise their manga counterparts which are much longer.

its those types of series that really annoys me to hell and a handbasket when their series committee's does this type of BS.

Other than that, its ok. but unless there is a second season, this will have to be an uber skip it for everyone else so they wont suffer the same bad taste in their mouth where they have to resort to going to the manga to continue the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Ah, well that makes sense. You gotta review what you're given. Can't exactly put it on hold for the possibility of a review copy of the re-release.

Regardless of who reviews the re-release, if you don't, I hope you'll share your thoughts on the new release in the forums at that time Smile

And yeah, that's a pretty striking image.

I'd be happy to. Very Happy I definitely want to watch an uncensored re-release should one pop up - I'm not a big gore fan, but in a zombie story, it really does seem necessary.

jr0904 wrote:
so they wont suffer the same bad taste in their mouth where they have to resort to going to the manga to continue the series.

I'm not trying to antagonize you, but I am curious - why do you dislike the idea of reading to finish the story? I admit it can be irritating, but it wouldn't stop me from watching.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm not trying to antagonize you, but I am curious - why do you dislike the idea of reading to finish the story?

I can only speak for myself, but there are two reasons. The first is that anime should stand on its own. The second is that I don't read manga at all and so will not be able to know the end except from Wikipedia or the like.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't read manga at all

Why not?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but there are two reasons. The first is that anime should stand on its own. The second is that I don't read manga at all and so will not be able to know the end except from Wikipedia or the like.

I can see how it would be a problem, then. I'm more a reader than a watcher (although obviously I still watch a lot...), so I get annoyed when it goes the other way - like Itazura na Kiss, where you have to watch the anime to get the author's intended ending. (Poor Kaoru Tada, dying before she got to finish...I know I can't blame her for it, but I wish I could've read the ending as she did it.)
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I can see how it would be a problem, then. I'm more a reader than a watcher (although obviously I still watch a lot...), so I get annoyed when it goes the other way - like Itazura na Kiss, where you have to watch the anime to get the author's intended ending. (Poor Kaoru Tada, dying before she got to finish...I know I can't blame her for it, but I wish I could've read the ending as she did it.)

That's very rare though. The vast majority requires you to get the source material to continue and while it's available in English for Sankarea, many others are not, especially if they're novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3