• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 20-26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
wow, i'm kinda surprised... kabukimonogatari was arguably the worst arc of second season(pacing compared to the novel was apparently terrible... and other stuff).
Now I really wanna see how otorimonogatari will do
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Gotchaman Crowds Discs are selling so much. I thought there would be more people who hate the series. I'm happy this series is doing well but it's at #3 in Japan's animation ranking.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well considering that Gatchaman hasn't sold a single disc until now i can't say that a little over 5,000 is very good. Maye it it surpassed their sales expectations, maybe not but i'm not sure that it did very well overall.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Well considering that Gatchaman hasn't sold a single disc until now i can't say that a little over 5,000 is very good. Maye it it surpassed their sales expectations, maybe not but i'm not sure that it did very well overall.

It was just released, of course it wouldn't have sold anything before this week.

6.5k would have been rather good if it was as expansive as a normal 1-cour series.

Wrathful wrote:
I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Gotchaman Crowds Discs are selling so much. I thought there would be more people who hate the series. I'm happy this series is doing well but it's at #3 in Japan's animation ranking.

It was really cheap, its revenue can be compared to a series that average'd around 3k~.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Either otaku are completionists or masochists. I was under the impression that they disliked the Oreimo 2 ending, but sells say the opposite.

Detrimont wrote:
wow, i'm kinda surprised... kabukimonogatari was arguably the worst arc of second season(pacing compared to the novel was apparently terrible... and other stuff).

Of course it is going to sell well. Monogatari is one of the most profitable franchises of all time. Monogatari Second Season is not selling as well as Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari did, but it will probably average at least 25k per volume.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Of course it is going to sell well. Monogatari is one of the most profitable franchises of all time. Monogatari Second Season is not selling as well as Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari did, but it will probably average at least 25k per volume.

25k?

45k~ is more reasonable. Still a huge drop from Bakamonogatari though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

25k?

That is why I am saying 25k at least (or at a minimum). My hope is that it does 40k. I agree with you that even 45k will still be a huge drop. I actually was kind of shocked when the first volume (Nekomonogatari White) failed to sell at least 60k the first week.

Monogatari is still posting strong numbers, but it is somewhat worrisome that Bakemonogatari averaged 78k (in late 2009), 2.5 years later (early 2012) Nisemonogatari averaged 60k and in just 1.5 years later (late 2013) Monogotari Second Season drops to 40k.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
rederoin wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

25k?

That is why I am saying 25k at least (or at a minimum). My hope is that it does 40k. I agree with you that even 45k will still be a huge drop. I actually was kind of shocked when the first volume (Nekomonogatari White) failed to sell at least 60k the first week.

Monogatari is still posting strong numbers, but it is somewhat worrisome that Bakemonogatari averaged 78k (in late 2009), 2.5 years later (early 2012) Nisemonogatari averaged 60k and in just 1.5 years later (late 2013) Monogotari Second Season drops to 40k.

Thats a pretty standard drop percentage wise for a franchise with multiple series. Franchises always sell less as more and more sequels come out (since they lose fans over the years), but its drop is just more noticeable when you're starting from 78k instead of 10k.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
rederoin wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

25k?

But for it to average 25k the remaining 8 volumes will need to sell below 15k(a drop of 25k). A drop like that between volumes is unheard of(exluding event tickets).
At this point, its pretty much destined to sell atleast 40k. The other volumes have no reason to drop below 35-40k~.

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yowamushi is doing unexpectedly good. Also, I really don't like sports animes generally, but for some reason got stuck following it...

A bit disappointed how Servant x Service scored, thought it was pretty good for a comedy...

Next time will be interesting as we'll finally know how Log Horizon placed. I'd place that among my favorite animes from the past few years...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, 2700 units sold isn't at all remarkable normally, but it is for a shounen sports anime. Though it seems like it sold more DVDs.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Either otaku are completionists or masochists. I was under the impression that they disliked the Oreimo 2 ending, but sells say the opposite.

Detrimont wrote:

Your thinking of sales to otaku too logically, best not to think of it that way.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

IS s2 was also disliked by a lot, it did not stop it from becoming 1/2# of autumn 2013.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The Blu-ray & DVD Set for Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim film sold 1,726 more copies for a new total of 112,011 copies.

Pacific Rim is a definition of cult-hit in Japan.

RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Thats a pretty standard drop percentage wise for a franchise with multiple series. Franchises always sell less as more and more sequels come out (since they lose fans over the years), but its drop is just more noticeable when you're starting from 78k instead of 10k.

When something's still fresh, that's when it tends to peak, before some fans start tuning it out as same-old same-old. S'why it's unusual for a routine franchise to gain interest over the years like Breaking Bad did (started out with 3 million, 5 seasons later ended with 10 million).

Blanchimont wrote:

A bit disappointed how Servant x Service scored, thought it was pretty good for a comedy...

Maybe the older characters.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

It was really cheap, its revenue can be compared to a series that average'd around 3k~.

It's not really cheap... well... it's cheap for japan, 18800 yen for 12 eps... ok.. yeah, definitely cheap for japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2