• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Suspicious Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
The only thing about the Oscars is that it's the members of the Academy that vote on the films and not the general public. So it would not surprise me to see Frozen get snubbed. It just depends on how the film played with those members.

As far as Funimation's corporate sibling, do keep in mind that not all Anime fans are "liberals" - whatever that word means these days - and may or may not have a problem with what other types of films go out thru the Funimation distribution channel.

Mark Gosdin

True story. I recall an old question from several years ago, during Zac's term as Answerman, where he answered a question to that effect. The media you consume isn't necessarily connected to political ideologies.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Christian audiences have been considered an underserved market by Hollywood ever since they turned out in droves to see Passion of the Christ...

Compare to Christian audiences turning out in droves to protest and heckle The Last Temptation of Christ. In response to the protests, Blockbuster refused to carry it.

Gibson's Passion is practically straight propaganda compared to Scorsese's thoughtful Temptation. It's sadly another example that what sells is different from what is well-made.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
... the ousting of co-founder and president Bobby Downes and chief global strategist Christopher Morrow last fall ... was followed by the company suing both of them after ... a "full-scale chest-thumping match" between Downes and Santorum. After the two were fired, the company alleges they engaged in a smear campaign to get partners to cut funding to the company, and for a weekend, hijacked the company's Facebook page.

If the two companies are really sharing personnel and production facilities, I can't imagine that people who started working for Funimation think favorably about being caught in the middle of this stuff.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
No mention of CPM's release of Project A-ko, Justin? =P
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
So Troy is concerned that Funimation may refuse to release titles that don't share their values and, if not, that he may refuse to deal with companies that don't share his values.

Thinking about it, the world would be an interesting place if everyone refused to do business with anyone of a different political, religious or cultural persuasion.

True enough. I always get mildly concerned when I see news like this because the last thing I want is for "religiously inappropriate" content that I love(like RIN) to stop getting licensed, but that usually goes away as soon as I remember that this still is somewhat of a capitalistic society and as long as there is an audience for it, someone will license it. From what I've seen so far, this seems to be a business move, not a moral decision, so I don't expect Funimation to start acting "holier-than-thou" any time soon.

Last edited by relyat08 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rextyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
So Troy is concerned that Funimation may refuse to release titles that don't share their values and, if not, that he may refuse to deal with companies that don't share his values.

Thinking about it, the world would be an interesting place if everyone refused to do business with anyone of a different political, religious or cultural persuasion.

The US Supreme Court has basically ruled that money equals speech, and so it's called voting with your feet. Rick Santorum is obsessed with using a certain segment of the populace as his personal/moral punching bag. Why on earth would people who are members of that group/their allies want to help put money (speech/political influence) in his pocket?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Wind Rises (haven't seen it yet, but I can guess what another mature Miyazaki might look and feel like) may have had a good shot at the Oscar gold among a field of very weak American entrants, but Frozen's just too fantastic. I did enjoy Princess and the Frog's human parts, and even the frog parts, immensely, and Wreck-it-Ralph was half of a great film, but I think Tangled and Frozen are a truer return to form.

Sven Viking wrote:

We live in a world where rich megalomaniacs can toss $100 million at a candidate of their choice, so the idea of not wanting to give them your money tends to feel more real when it can actually affect your life and community.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Whenever the debate comes up over whether the Wind Rises has a chance for an Oscar, it's either neglected or forgotten that Shuhei Morita's "Possessions" is nominated for Best Animated Short Film. Here's an anime that seems to have an actual chance of winning but it doesn't matter? I know winning Best Animated Short Film won't make a big splash like Best Animated Feature, but a Oscar's an Oscar right?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
An Oscar for a short is a sidenote. Yeah, I've seen that House of the Small Cubes short, it's good, but it's still just a short, no one really remembers them like they do the categories that matter. And I hope whatever happens, that Mickey Mouse one doesn't win.
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll say it again: Miyazaki won't win this round, but look for him to take home a Lifetime Achievment Oscar (either for him or for Ghibli) someday.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
halo: I think Morita and the Sunrise people are just happy to be nominated, knowing how tough it is for non-Ghibli anime to get in. I don't count Cubes and Mt. Head as "anime", because they're more artsy and clearly not designed with the anime "aesthetic" in mind.

TG: He might get a Lifetime Achievement Oscar this year.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As of January 19th the film has grossed over 3/4 of a billion dollars worldwide so far and still going strong, yet has an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not like you can take Rotten Tomatoes seriously.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
As of January 19th the film has grossed over 3/4 of a billion dollars worldwide so far and still going strong, yet has an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not like you can take Rotten Tomatoes seriously.

Not all the time. I don't like how it calculates scores purely on the PASS/FAIL system which doesn't reflect the real average that critics would score a film, but Frozen's earned written praise from many nonetheless.

TG72 wrote:
I'll say it again: Miyazaki won't win this round, but look for him to take home a Lifetime Achievment Oscar (either for him or for Ghibli) someday.

Can people not named Woody Allen get away with ditching award shows? I thought the committees take that stuff personally.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
It kind of sickens me that Funimation is even in the same business as Rick "let's compare condemning social welfare programs to fighting apartheid" Santorum, let alone so close to each other. People of his dominionist ilk are destroying the country with their civil rights blocking and anti-science thought process, and if I thought I was contributing to him by buying Funimation releases, I'd not only stop buying their products, I'd sell the ones I already have.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I might have to check out Frozen after seeing all the accolades it gets yet I'm not all too keen on "strong" female characters just because a good amount of the time is spent on them shoving their independence to your face to the point that it's a lightly veiled feminist propaganda. We'll see how this one does it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
The Oscars do like honoring the old guys who are bowing out, but Frozen is not just competition, it's a cultural phenomenon.

The same could be said about Beauty and the Beast. But it still didn't win Best Picture. Anything can happen.

Not an equivalent comparison, since B&B was competing in the "big boy" category, and not the Animated category (which didn't exist at the time). Besides, B&B's competition was hardly weak; Silence of the Lambs is one of only three movies to ever sweep the top five awards (Movie, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay).

And for PaiPrince: I have seen Frozen, and I think claiming that it had any kind of "lightly veiled feminist agenda" is a real stretch. And while I wasn't overwhelmed by the movie, it was well-made and did have a good story with some unconventional (for Disney) twists and characterizations. I can easily see how it's become a juggernaut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6