• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports Weak Wii U Sales, Cuts Projections by 2/3rds

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Why not just stop with the gimmicks and make a gaming system with current gen technology that's on par with the XBO and PS4? Quit trying to be an alternative gaming platform, that ship sailed when it became cheaper and easier for casual gamers to pickup a smart phone or tablet. Time to go back to the SNES days and aim for the throat of the competition rather than being some sort of sideshow.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Branching into smartphones is a fool's game for Nintendo. That market is Samsung & Apple pounding it out. They will never notice Nintendo.

Might as well lock the doors and send everyone home. Crying or Very sad

Mark Gosdin
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Why not just stop with the gimmicks and make a gaming system with current gen technology that's on par with the XBO and PS4? Time to go back to the SNES days and aim for the throat of the competition rather than being some sort of sideshow.

BePlaystation has been the SNES ever since it was introduced. Sony took the mantle of dominate video game console ever since the Playstation launched. Nintendo is not going to be like the pre-Sony days for consoles ever again no matter what they do because they are no longer competing with less popular companies like Sega and Atari The one market they are the dominate force in is handhelds, which is why I think they are looking at smartphone integration. Consoles are a dying market in Japan, Nintendo is probably smart to focus on handhelds. Even the PS4 is going to do poor in Japan when it launches I would wager. By poor I mean sell less than the PS3.

Right now the market is very clear cut on which systems to buy. The preference between Playstation and Xbox boils down entirely to if you prefer Japanese or American games. Meanwhile ever since the N64, Nintendo has been a console for Nintendo games. Nintendo has the highest first-party sales compared to other consoles and all the top selling games on Xbox and Playstation are third-party or cross-platform games. I have a Wii-U right now solely because I wanted Nintendo games. I will get a PS4 when it starts getting Japanese games for it. I have no interest in western games so I will pass on the Xbox. I think the market is very distinct on what to get right now and has segregated itself into convenient categories.
_eternal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
This makes me happy.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
When I see the words "Nintendo considers smartphone market", I don't see it as meaning "We's gonna make Angry Mario for iOS!", I see it as meaning, "Hey, we're gonna look into how and why this industry is so beefy-like, 'kay?"

I don't understand why people argue that Nintendo needs to follow Microsoft's or Sony's business model. Look at them: they're both redundant consoles that are outstripped by PCs: loaded with anti-consumer add-ons, and with a shaky focus. The 3DS and Wii U are the only dedicated gaming consoles, and they're the better for it. Heck, the 3DS is the most stand-out console on the market, in terms of library.

Nintendo's issues now are nothing like Sega's problems with the Dreamcast. Their problem is that they lack a sense of connection with their audience. It could also be that people expect too much of Nintendo: most of the problems people have with the Wii U come from comparing it to every other console.

That said, I hear it's a pain to develop for. Not cool.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I am not happy Iwata is not getting fired or "resign". It would be one less old fart (thou 54 is still kinda young but its rotten by old practices) preventing new blood from making much needed changes for current times.

With current circumstances a first step for Nintendo would be to drop forever its goddam region locking. But I know it snot happening anytime soon.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
It's about time. That 9 million figure was a farce from the start. Their strength obviously seems to be the portable market. I mean, they can kill any competition no matter how much better it is in terms of specs/games/etc (see Game Gear, PSP). That is the market they should capitalize on. Or I guess they could try another gimmick for the console and hope it catches fire again.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised that the WiiU isn't faring all that well. The design of the console is pretty hard to get accustomed to- having to direct your attention to both the TV and the WiiU's Game Pad screen can make gameplay really uncomfortable.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I think 3DS success is enough for Nintendo
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised. The Wii U quite honestly seems like a piece of crap. I just don't understand the system's appeal. I'm not sure why I would chose it over any other system out there. Too bad I guess. I don't think Nintendo can really survive in the current console space. It's basically the Cube again, where their properties will only get them so far. Except it's doubtful they will even get them as far as they did with the cube. So I'm not even sure making a system that's comparable to other current systems would be a good idea. The WiiU's gimmick also didn't do anything.

Sure they have the 3DS, but it's not like that has set the western world on fire and with tablets and whatnot I'm not sure the next 3DS would do at as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't make them cancel the pending release of Super Mario Bros 3 for the 3DS download in North America, since it's already available in Japan and other parts of the world. It would be a shame to have the other Classic NES Mario games and not be able to complete my library, especially since SMB3 was what I grew up on.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This really doesn't surprise me... Luckily Nintendo is large enough to come back from this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

I don't understand why people argue that Nintendo needs to follow Microsoft's or Sony's business model. Look at them: they're both redundant consoles that are outstripped by PCs: loaded with anti-consumer add-ons, and with a shaky focus. The 3DS and Wii U are the only dedicated gaming consoles, and they're the better for it. Heck, the 3DS is the most stand-out console on the market, in terms of library.

I really don't know, and at this point I stopped even trying to understand it because it's just too much bs to sift through. I think it's mostly people still festering that bizarre, irrational Nintendo hate even though they should have dropped it years ago. At this point I think Nintendo should just drop the "hardcore" and go back the Wii mentality of trying to get new people into gaming. So far the "hardcore" market has proven to be fickle and unreliable. Best to just stop trying to please them and move on.

As for Nintendo, they've been through worse. It's about time people accept reality: Nintendo and Iwata are here to stay AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT THAT. To keep complaining about it is insane

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's the "hardcore" market that is driving the PS4 and X1's huge success in sales right now. I don't think that's the issue here.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm not sure why I would chose it over any other system out there

No other system has Nintendo games on it. If someone wants to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc, you buy a Nintendo console. Plus they get the occasional cool third-party exclusive like the Operation Rainfall trilogy on Wii and now X/Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, but thats just a side bonus. Main draw is Nintendo titles
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11