• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Trying to get the platinum trophy on final fantasy 13......I can feel my soul emptying Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I went back to playing Fat Princess again after a break for a bit (not too long a break, mind you, I've had my PS3 less than a year). I finally gave in and bought the expansion pack after those damn pirates kept killing me in the back like 3 times in a row. But yeah, it's damn fun! I must've been playing with good people because blue team rocked! And I often get to be death at the end, but I didn't get it once today (I think I got second place though)
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Just started playing Battle Princess of Arcadias over the weekend. I'm still not too good at the skirmishes and sieges, but I find it to be a really fun game nonetheless. The visuals are really pretty, and the music is good, too.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I like the 999 series on the DS/3DS. Really good games.
LonelySoul 8515

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Right am off the PS3 and xbox 360. Am on rewind mode.

am playing my ps1 games. I'm replaying Valkyrie Profile 1, bust a groove 1 & 2 and Resident evil 1, 2 and 3 right now
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Cursed Mountain - Wii

I'm basically the Macklemore of used games. Had I ever heard of this? Nope. But shit, it was $9.99! It's actually pretty perishable though. Really, its only remotely notable for how flawlessly it apes the presentation style of Resident Evil 4. Like...even the font for the in game text looks identical. Or, they use the exact same colored pillars of light to highlight items. It's almost uncanny. It's not actually very good though. The ratio of walking to actually doing stuff swings heavily in walking's favor and is made all the worse by your character moving reeeeally slowly. Ah well, you never know when you'll find a real gem.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii

I always meant to play this back when it came out but never really got around to it. It's actually a pretty damn frustrating game. There are some things to like but it is marred by some pretty major flaws. Solid mechanics, level design, nice variety including some very fun cart riding or barrel blasting segments. I definitely like the wide variety of bonus items. Much better than just straight "get to the end" gameplay. DK handles pretty clunky though. Too clunky for a relatively punishing game like this. It doesn't support the classic controller, just the Wiimote/Nunchuck or sideways Wiimote. Either way it demands unreliable remote shaking to roll or ground pound. Plus, even shaking aside, DK is generally slow and cumbersome. You have to hold down a button to run (and it is the button right next to the jump button) which feels very unnatural. Also, the rocket boost is kinda rough to use (you don't float you just fall much slower). It feels very imprecise. At best I guess it is better than the alternative. It's a nightmare when you lose Diddy (after only 2 hits) and thus the ability to boost altogether. Especially since, by virtue of having it most of the time, you'll still instinctual try to use it sometimes only to fall to your doom.

Anyway, next I'm feeling like something in a JRPG. Probably something off my pile of PS2 stuff I've been meaning to get to. Xenosage III? Or maybe Valkyrie Profile 2?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Slowly but surely playing through Tales of Monkey Island, which I got from a PS3 flash sale for a mere $0.99 for all 5 episodes! I do love seeing references and humor to the old games, it warms my heart! The third is the only one in the series I never beat, I think I hit a glitch or something (couldn't get that dog to bite me, even with a guide).

I also got Papa & Yo during yet another flash sale. And wow, the story and narrative in that game is worth any platforming hell the game occasionally gave me. I see why it has a following, if you want a unique gaming experience story wise, gotta love indie games.
Robotrode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Still addicted to Marvel Avengers Alliance, though I have personally liked the Command and Conquer series, given the time. And many other classic games, too.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm late to yet another party, but I'm now playing South Park: The Stick of Truth and I am adoring it! The whole look and feel of the game is perfect South Park for one, and there are tons and tons of South Park stuff all over the place (you'll find things like Pinewood Derby car, a Faith +1 CD, and obviously Al Gore is there too). It loves to poke fun at video game and RPG tropes all over the place (the classic "absurdly spacious (and clean) sewer" for example? Not very clean.... at all). They obviously knew the game would be M rated from the get-go so they really got to put things in there that you just know they wouldn't be able to get away with on TV. They also like to have characters post to your in-game Facebook page with hilarious commentary all around.

But it actually works as an RPG too and you can customize equipment to give you boosts and bonuses and such. The combat does involve button timing presses (on both attack and defense), kind of like Paper Mario or something, but you have to pick between X and Square attacks too (and long range weapons vs melee weapons, you have access to both during combat). I also like being able to use an item and attack on your turn (given that you only ever have two characters at most, yourself included, this does help quite a bit at times). There's actually a lot going for it as an RPG, which is a nice bonus, especially seeing how flat past South Park games have fallen on their faces.

And to combine things, all the side quests, which there are plenty, are also full of humor and South Park references and net you good equipment and other items (and can boost your levels or number of friends, both of which gives you access to more spells and more perks)

South Park and RPGs fans should definitely play this if they haven't already, I was waiting for a price drop, which I indeed got.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Well I beat Stick of Truth and yeah, it was really awesome, I loved it! Being a South Park and RPG fan is almost a requirement I'll admit. I went over to my friend's house today and saw how much trouble she having with the game. Bless her heart, she likes games but man does she suck at them. She is literally the only person I've seen who hasn't had gobs of money in a Pokemon game after the first gym. So I modified her equipment to help her out (yeah, she's not good at exploiting game mechanics in the slightest, glad I gave her those visual novels to play instead...)

But one thing that I kept thinking that really really surprised me was actually how awesome the music was in the game. Sure, whenever you'd go into stores or banks, you'd get to laugh at hearing little songs from the show (like "Let's Fighting Love" for example) but then you get into a battle and you're not expecting this. Or this. Or even this. Then you hear the Princess Kenny theme or something (sure, even during boss fights, why not?) but yeah, I think the OST is pretty awesome.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
In b4 Smash...

(totally not going to play it myself. I've popped Project x Zone back in, for a break before going back to Bravely Default chapter 6)
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Vib-Ribbon is one of those weird music games I know about. It came out in Japan and PAL, but never before in the US, but now it's on PSN! I'll need to try out my own CD later (I wasn't sure PS3 could use CDs, it would be stupid if it couldn't, but yeah, safe to check, it can) but neat, I finally get to play it!
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ultra Street Fighter IV Trying to get serious about fighting games again. Still looking for a character to choose as my main so I'm way behind in relation to the group I play with. Of the characters I've gone through so far, Seth and Sagat are fun to play with, but I'm really leaning towards picking Cody.

Persona 3 FES Making my way through The Answer right now. Completed the main game a while ago and I'm also doing a New Game+ run just to complete some of the Social Links I missed the first time around. Might do a 3rd play-through to try and get 100% completion (all errands, Links and Persona).

Persona 4 Arena Just going through story mode right now. No intention of getting good at it since the FGC has shifted to P4AU. I did pick Yukiko as a main, no telling if I'll keep her once I decide to get a copy of Ultimax.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The Legend of Korra game came out on PSN today! You Xbox people will have to wait until tomorrow, mwahahaha!
It's a short game, 5 or 6 hours, but it's still fun with a good combo system and enough challenge to satisfy me. The story was more "meh" compared to the actual show, but it was damn nice to get the show actors in on this and have some animated cutscenes (not quite as good as the show's animation but still nice). Fans of Korra should enjoy this, especially since it was made by an actual game developer this time (as I couldn't recommend the games associated with the original series to anyone, not even fans, renting those for free from the library was bad enough). I'm willing to let things like the water appearing from nowhere slide as it's a game and the show does a damn good job covering its bases on having water present when fights involve them so as long as the show thinks that out, I'm good. But yeah, I was able to beat it on normal and max out all bending abilities in that short amount of time and figure out the combat system quite well (it's all about using the chi)
Not sure how the 3DS game will fare though, different publisher. I'm ok with a different style, but Webfoot isn't really a company with a well established track record of cool either. We shall wait and see.
As for now, I do recommend fans of the show should download this one if they like action brawler games.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Been playing some of the Ratchet and Clank games. I'm on A Crack in Time right now and I am not a fan of Clank's time puzzles. It's not that they're hard, some just took too long and it gets tedious. Other than that, I'm enjoying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17