• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I did end up watching it and enjoyed it quite a bit. One of the top few shows of the season even. And it was the best selling show of the season, so good odds of getting a second season at some point.

Really? That's certainly great news. Judging by the complete lack of discussion about it on the internet, I figured it was a flop. Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see the data for this, I want to know what other series did well last season.

Anyway, I agree the beginning of Arpeggio is pretty slow compared to the rest of the series. I don't drop anime, but I did definitely stall on it after the first episode. When I went back to watch it, it ended around the Maki arc, and by that point I was beginning to like it. Then the last third of the series was phenomenal.

I even started reading the manga for it. (And Coppelion, which works A LOT better in manga form) I wonder how they will make a second season though since it did end up differing from the manga quite a bit. How long does it take to make a CG show compared to a typically animated anime anyway? Anyway I'd love to see more!

Agreed, great news, I'd love for more to be made!

Loved the show, I think my main nitpick was one of the things brought up, I would ofcourse have enjoyed learning more about our crew as well, it should have been longer, perhaps there'll be time to work those in a bit more with a second season.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I did end up watching it and enjoyed it quite a bit. One of the top few shows of the season even. And it was the best selling show of the season, so good odds of getting a second season at some point.

Really? That's certainly great news. Judging by the complete lack of discussion about it on the internet, I figured it was a flop. Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see the data for this, I want to know what other series did well last season.

This site is your friend for JP sales data.

MyssaRei wrote:

[url=http://forums.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/showthread.php?t=109699&page=2]Reference[/url]. Thanks to the stat obsessive people over at Asuki for it.

Links to that site won't work (notice what the url was automatically changed to).

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly not the best selling of the season though. That will undoubtedly go to The Basketball That Kuroko Plays Season 2 once its sales figures get released in a week. Arpeggio is the best selling non-sequel though, which is quite impressive. Especially when so many on here keep thinking for some odd reason that Seiji Kishi is a bad director which is just baffling.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's certainly not the best selling of the season though. That will undoubtedly go to The Basketball That Kuroko Plays Season 2 once its sales figures get released in a week. Arpeggio is the best selling non-sequel though, which is quite impressive.

Aaargh, right, forgot about that. Best selling show aimed at traditional otaku-audiences though. There was also IS2, which I also forgot about. But yeah, best selling non-sequel still.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Good review. I enjoyed Arpeggio a lot, but I agree, they really should have fleshed out Gunzo's crew (and probably Gunzo himself). Does the manga expand on them? I've read a bit of it, but I'm waiting to buy it, strike witches, and girls und panzer when it is released here. The animation was pretty impressive, although weren't the character's always CGI rendered? And what I found interesting was that the backgrounds themselves looked hand-painted and not CGI like the rest of the animation.

I'm curious about that as well regarding the crew in the manga, since it would be great if it is in the manga that they could at least try to incorporate a bit more about them in a potential second season amidst the continuing story now that they'd have more episodes to continue.

Yeah, I believe it was always CG too, and I also thought it was pretty impressive looking most of the time.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
An interesting read, given that I'd made up my mind that the show started strong and got weaker later on, with a stronger last episode to end on. I think what it is is that the show is really at it's best in the battles, what with the strategies and such. I thought the weakest episode overall were the ones in the middle; maybe my interest just waned some when it became more harem-y. I haven't read the manga, but it seemed kinda like they knew there wasn't going to be a second season, so they decided to gauge how a Kan-Colle anime might do.

On a related note, this show was worth watching solely for the assorted "shipping" puns it yielded on Crunchyroll.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Shocked WTF! How in the hell did Infinite Stratos 2 sell so well, it had practically no progression and was generally pretty bad. By all right Arpeggio should have blown them out of the water, and that does not even bring up some of the others did.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Shocked WTF! How in the hell did Infinite Stratos 2 sell so well, it had practically no progression and was generally pretty bad. By all right Arpeggio should have blown them out of the water, and that does not even bring up some of the others did.

Yeah it's odd how even the sequel of IS is selling, despite the mess its been through... Although not completely weird, as it has an established fanbase, and makes good material for doujins... lots and lots of doujins *fpfpfpfpf*

I'm actually more surprised about Arpeggio selling as well as it did, I really don't hope that upcoming space CG anime sells remotely close, because that could mean that other publishers may consider CG studios for their adaptions. And to be honest, CG anime does not look good. This may have looked good for a CG anime, but as for the standard of regular anime this was anything but good.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I'm actually more surprised about Arpeggio selling as well as it did... ...This may have looked good for a CG anime, but as for the standard of regular anime this was anything but good.

Well, it had a good story. And say what you will of CG, in my opinion it was miles better than a lot of others that has been used in anime. ...And it had immerse pulling help from the KanColle franchise (which will have it's own anime later on).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Yeah it's odd how even the sequel of IS is selling, despite the mess its been through... Although not completely weird, as it has an established fanbase, and makes good material for doujins... lots and lots of doujins *fpfpfpfpf*

Tell me about it, there's a doujin I need from an artist who did Infinite Stratos, and I'm barely a fan of that series. Sometimes you just gotta be a fan of the artist for his art, not the source material.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Great review.
However, i think it's a mislabeling to call this anime a harem since only Takao is in love with Gunzo while Iona is more like subordinate-superior.
The rest of the mental models are just neutral or dislike him.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The 3D is different but you get used to it and forget it's in 3D most times. This series was a surprise of the year for me. The first 3 episodes are boring but after that it really picks up steam and fun to watch.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry pipe in late. I love the Manga, i was surprised the Anime was as well done as it was given what was said of the company who did the animation it. Original plot deviation in the anime made complete sense, given that seems the budget they had was limited to so many episodes. I wished they had been expand on it, the final episode seem certainly change things bit if they should expand the story. A second season would be radically different, but there still room to maneuver with the plot.

I'm glad their doing good sales, wise. I hope the Manga can keep trucking along. Its suppose to be brought to the North American market this year, i just hope not too much is lost in the translation.
Dr. Cakey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You know how user reviews are always terrible, because most people seem unable to count to a number lower than 7? Theron Martin is kind of like that, only he can only count as low as 8.

I mean Christ, if you can't give a bad score to Arpeggio of the Blue Steel, what can you? That's like the epitome of bad anime. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this series after only the first episode. It looked pretty, but I was really put off by: (1) the bizarreness of the main character's crew, which for some reason I sensed wasn't going to be developed properly, and (2) the fact that the female lead appeared to be a clone of every other "amazingly hot girl who is an alien/AI/android/angel/demon/some other type of emotionless life form" and falls into the ownership of some bland self-insert male. It worked great with Outlaw Star in this sci-fi context, but I guess maybe I wasn't really interested to see a re-tread here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3