• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magi - The Kingdom of Magic Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
After struggling a bit to make it through the first season I had to drop the second season after five episodes. It was just too silly, too messy and far too repetitive to find enjoyment in. Watching Alibaba wallow in self-doubt yet again for the thousandth time was just groan-inducing, and the pirate mini-arc was pretty poor. While I'm sure I will miss out on some good scenes by dropping the show I don't feel like I will ever regret it.
SthRandom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
After struggling a bit to make it through the first season I had to drop the second season after five episodes. It was just too silly, too messy and far too repetitive to find enjoyment in. Watching Alibaba wallow in self-doubt yet again for the thousandth time was just groan-inducing, and the pirate mini-arc was pretty poor. While I'm sure I will miss out on some good scenes by dropping the show I don't feel like I will ever regret it.
I didn't like the pirate arc either but I'm glad I kept watching because what comes after is pretty good, at least in my opinion.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
The second season has been so much stronger than the first. I wasn't even going to pick it up after how disappointing season one was but I am glad I did.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
I honestly enjoyed the first season better. The second season feels like they just drew up a bunch of assets with no cohesiveness once so ever. Aladdin suddenly wanting to go off on his own when HE was the one who cares so much about not losing his friends and always wanting to be with them so badly just felt unnatural and forced.

I know normal humans wouldn't be able enter the academy with him but still. I've kind of gotten over Alibaba lacking self confidence because honestly just about every shounen has a character act like this at some point so it's not a big issue for me. I'll admit he's not nearly as bad about this time around though. And of course Morgiana is stilll my favorite character Laughing

Oh yeah and who the hell thought it would be cool to make this show have a witch academy? It doesn't fit the setting AT ALL. Gladiators, Magicians and Metal Vessels all work for the environment imo. But this is just kind of like a cheap way to make Aladdin retardly stronger in just a few episodes. I'd say things have been picking up in the past few episodes but making it to this point wasn't exactly easy for me.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The last four or five episodes have been fantastic with their mixture of action, emotion, and political intrigue. I would say they are as good as or better than the first season. Yes, the pirate arc was pretty bleh, and the first couple episodes were a bit devoid of action, but the series has gotten right back into form at this point and I am having a blast right now with Magi.
Miniicy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I really love s2 of magi. Its a shounen, but it feels..deeper.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
All of you are right, if combined.

The first season was good, but had some incredibly annoying events in the middle.

The beginning of the second season -- if the pirates arc was then -- was pretty damn bad.

But lately, the anime is pretty great.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the pirates arc just fine...Maybe I just keep different expectations for a shounen show than for other types of shows? Or maybe I just appreciated a bit more development for Hakuryuu. The Kou stuff is pretty intense for a kids' show!

Balbadd's still my favorite arc so far, but I'm loving the Magnostadt arc as well^^ My friends and I have turned watching the new episode into a weekly ritual. Shounen's nice and easy to keep up with.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
SthRandom wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I didn't like the pirate arc either but I'm glad I kept watching because what comes after is pretty good, at least in my opinion.

Pretty much this.

The first few episodes also took me some patience to get through and I wasn't a fan of the Pirates Arc at all (even the manga). The World Exploration arc and later on lately with the spoiler[war arc] about to be animated should be even more interesting to watch.

I just sure as hell hope it will remain faithful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I liked the pirates arc just fine...Maybe I just keep different expectations for a shounen show than for other types of shows? Or maybe I just appreciated a bit more development for Hakuryuu. The Kou stuff is pretty intense for a kids' show!

Balbadd's still my favorite arc so far, but I'm loving the Magnostadt arc as well^^ My friends and I have turned watching the new episode into a weekly ritual. Shounen's nice and easy to keep up with.

Piractes arc was blatantly stupid, lame writing using pathetic excuses for events to happen (I still have no idea whether it was filler or part of the manga). But after that, it was great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1