• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - The Flowers of Evil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm definitely gonna have to get this manga!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned all the Vertical releases a week ago and was blown away. You did a great job capturing what makes this series so addictive and unique. I can't wait for the next volume.

One thing that many lesser writers would have done was spoiler[end the story with the characters in middle school.] I was pleasantly surprised that we got to see spoiler[the aftermath of the middle school events.] Most writers wouldn't take it that far.

Another thing I appreciate is how the covers are drawn in a completely different style every three volumes almost like a triptych.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I got 4 volumes of this series and its really really good so am looking forward to more.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I only started reading this manga to laugh at it. I thought it was over the top with some of the stuff they had going on. (Like the gym clothes under the regular clothes part)

But honestly, I'm really enthralled with it now. I'm rather impressed with how the author is able to set a tone or hit you with a feeling, with using so little words. (in some chapters there are maybe 5 lines of dialogue)

I never watched the anime, but the manga is pretty good.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The manga is so much better than the visual abortion that was the anime.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Now I really wanna read this!
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

I loved the anime, and thats what got me readin the manga.

Really is a great series, great article about it Very Happy
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll not be the first to have noticed this, but Flowers of Evil reminds me uncomfortably of Onani Master Kurosawa. Both have socially uncomfortable and sexually frustrated protagonists, manipulative sociopaths who find out their secrets, a buttload of misunderstandings, a female creature of infatuation for our main character, and a slow descent into madness brought on by the very subject that began our story.

Only difference? Flowers of Evil is about the shame associated with repressed feelings brought on by puberty and the tarnished reputation Kasuga could suffer if his crime is ever found.

Onani Master Kurosawa is about masturbation.

Embarassed
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
then read chikan otoko / molester man, it's by the same artist as onani master kurosawa aka fap note; but since the characters are much older (no immature teenagers this time) it takes an even more amusing turn of events. it also references densha otoko which should be a general culture piece for anybody into more serious anime/manga/ japanese culture.

about aku no hana, I liked the manga a lot and started reading it when the anime just got announced, boku wa mari no naka is anotehr manga by the same author which I am actually enjoying a lot as it is to body swap mangas what aku no hana is to harem ones.

one can argue that the author is not that unique or the feelings he evoques can be found in other manga but I find his works to be a nice intro to the slice of life seinen genre which is where you can find more works like his, kind of like attack on titan is a good intro to action seinen. even though technically both are shounen, I guess that is why they work as a bridge between shounen and seinen.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think he snuck into the girl's locker room. I thought he just went back to the classroom because he forgot his book, and saw Saeki's gym bag on the floor.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
I didn't think he snuck into the girl's locker room. I thought he just went back to the classroom because he forgot his book, and saw Saeki's gym bag on the floor.

You're right.

One thing I always wondered about the scene...The gym uniform accidentally fell out. Kasuga saw it and was entranced, but I always got the feeling that he took it because he thought someone would walk in and get the wrong idea. In other words, he was more or less an innocent person who panicked when he thought he would be misunderstood. How do others interpret the scene?

I'm not saying that he doesn't have a dark side, but I never got the feeling that he stole the clothes so much as he was afraid about what others would think.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Nayu wrote:

I loved the anime, and thats what got me readin the manga.

Excellent. Welcome to the superior product.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
delete

Last edited by Bloodgod on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Meygaera wrote:

You're right.

One thing I always wondered about the scene...The gym uniform accidentally fell out. Kasuga saw it and was entranced, but I always got the feeling that he took it because he thought someone would walk in and get the wrong idea. In other words, he was more or less an innocent person who panicked when he thought he would be misunderstood. How do others interpret the scene?

I'm not saying that he doesn't have a dark side, but I never got the feeling that he stole the clothes so much as he was afraid about what others would think.

I finally created an account to agree here. He didn't purposely steal the gym clothes or even plan to. Her bag was laying there and he picked up the clothes and was staring at them (okay sure, perverted) when he heard a noise and panicked. He only took them to avoid getting caught doing what he was.

I forget how I learned about this manga, but once I started reading it I was hooked. The facial expressions and almost melancholic nonverbal communication in it are excellent. The plot getting especially interesting after the time skip. The latest chapter... oh man.

I've read some pretty messed up stuff, like Ichi the Killer as an extreme example. But I have to say this is the first time I've seen spoiler[a girl rape a guy] in... well, anything.
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a Manga that would please Slaanesh....right blood god.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2