• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki: The Problem With The Anime Industry Is It's Full of Otaku

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
So he's saying that animators should learn to draw real people first. Or just "people watch' to learn how people move.
Paradox295

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
lol this guy is so senile now. First, he says his movies aren't anime even though they are animation made in Japan

That's a metaphor. He means the things he makes aren't a part of the current "state" of Japanese animation.

RyanSaotome wrote:
and now he's saying that people funding the industry is the problem with it.

Yes. They are.

"Otaku" in this context, refers to the large portion of the fandom who are "reclusive" and prefer to spend their time with fictional, animated people, than real life ones.

This gives them a warped idea of what "real people" are, and since those types of people go on into the industry, the characters portrayed in "otaku-based" Japanese animation slowly become less and less realistic in terms of the characters and their interactions.

Even in fantasy shows with scenarios that couldn't possibly take place in the real world, the characters and their interactions need to be realistic. The characters need to have psychology and motivation behind their actions.

Without the realism of human interaction, anime devolves into unrealistic human interaction, where a socially inept guy somehow gets half a dozen girls around him, who have D cup tits and no personality outside of their sex drive.

And then the people who watch this shit think this is real life. They go out into the world, expect girls to fudge them, then complain about the non existent "friend zone" when it doesn't happen.

Which brings me to your final point...

RyanSaotome wrote:
It would be a lot better if all the companies went bankrupt and there was no anime at all, right old man?

...as I've described above, the problem with "otaku-based" anime is that the characters aren't representations of actual human beings. That's a fact.

Rather than being a fantasy with dragons and magic. It's a fantasy of human behavior. The people who watch it watch it to escape the harsh reality of their real life, to watch socially inept people, not unlike themselves, live the life they wish they had.

Then those people who watch them then go on and make those same shows.

...and it's not just Japan. Those same socially inept types in America, and to a lesser extent, the UK and other English speaking countries, wear the name "Otaku" as a badge of honor and scream about how "western animation is so inferior to anime", some even going as far to denounce all live action content.

When the reality is that their beloved "anime" is also, if not even more, flawed than that. Barely offering anything outside the aforementioned "otaku-based" shows. The most notable being Attack on Titan, a show that while has managed to capture an extremely vocal mainstream audience, doesn't do anything that every shonen and mecha show already has. Plus Kill la Kill, which is an excellent show with a visually stunning artstyle, but can't go 60 seconds without showing copious amounts of flesh or underboob, because the vast majority of people in Japan who watch "anime" are, again, the "otakus", who's attention span is dictated by how long the show keeps their dick hard.

You can keep your escapism shows. Leave the mainstream viewers like me, (aka "filthy casuals") out. Fine.

But don't complain to me, when those "otaku-based" shows fail to capture a market outside the socially inept "otakus", which will result in "all the companies going bankrupt and there being no anime at all".

Last edited by Paradox295 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Heaven forbid that anime should be made by people who really love anime.

Enthusiasm is no replacement for skill. There is no doubt that people who actually enjoy anime will enjoy making it, but that doesn't say anything about the quality of the anime that will be made. At best, they will just be recreation of the tropes already defined by the genre.

The only problem I have with the article is that the title sounds like consumer Otaku is also part of the problem, when Miyazaki probably only referred to the Otaku who are making anime. The title made is sound like me and a million other anime lovers out there are responsible for degrading the level of anime made.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't really relate to what he's talking about here, even though I don't like the stuff he's lamenting. There's plenty of shows that cater to the more serious crowd every season. I've watched more new anime in the past 2 years than the 4 years before that. There's 3 shows I watch week to week right now, which is the most I've done at any one time since like 2008.

So while I can see and understand where he's coming from, I don't think it's as big a problem now, as it was say 3-4 years ago.
Paradox295

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
So he's saying that animators should learn to draw real people first. Or just "people watch' to learn how people move.

No, not the character's physical movements. The characters personality and psychology.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Paradox295 wrote:
You can keep your escapism shows. Leave the mainstream viewers like me, (aka "filthy casuals") out. Fine.

Mainstream stuff IS escapism. Avengers, Harry Potter, Harold and Kumar. If you think that stuff is any more realistic than the anime you hate then you're in for a rude awakening when you go to Hogwarts.

Quote:
But don't complain to me, when those "otaku-based" shows fail to capture a market outside the socially inept "otakus", which will result in "all the companies going bankrupt and there being no anime at all".

Dude, those 'otaku shows' are the highest selling ones out there. Those shows are literally saving the industry. Real saving, not that ironic meme 'saving anime' which people usually apply to artistic shows no one but a small group of self proclaimed intellectuals like which bomb hard and lose money.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Paradox295 wrote:

Those shows have been doing just fine for the past 2(or 3?) decades. In fact, the majority of new anime is aimed at those so called Otakus. Its not done because of the Otaku within the industry, its done because its the otaku spend a lot of money on anime/manga/merch/games/LN's/VN's

I won't bother with the rest of your post, since its just filled with generalizations, and it'd be pointless to argue with you on those points.

Last edited by Rederoin on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
'stupid wish fulfillment harem and fanservice anime' have existed for decades and is nothing new to begin with.

You know, like these comments from him, which are slight variations on things he's said a few times before.
jkphantom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny how he hates the iPad and compares it to masturbation gestures...
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
i think that saying otaku in general "love the art form" might be overstating it. some do, but plenty of them are just garden-variety fanboys who like shows that cater to their tastes and howl like apes when a company (say, KyoAni) "betrays" them by making shows that don't target them (Free, for instance)

KyoAni is one of the more revered studios in terms of animation quality and fans recognize this, so it's kinda ironic to use them in your example. Getting animated by KyoAni is seen as a boon because of their talent so those fans recognize the art form in that regard. Also otaku love Free so I don't know what this 'betrayal' thing is about. Was a pretty fun show.

Last edited by Mister Ryan Andrews on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
If otaku want to enter the grueling no-pay long-hours NOT-GHIBLI-REMOVED-FROM-REALITY-FANTASY-LAND industry, let them make what they want, not what old-man-has-sycophantic-yesmen wants. Otaku make anime for other otaku, and those consumer otaku determine what sells and what doesn't. It's almost turning into a larger scale Comiket that runs through official channels. Like, monster girls are hot, so a mangaka like Okayado can draw and publish two manga featuring them simultaneously, and the market bears it, hopefully to the end of them getting anime produced. Don't blame otaku for what essentially is an otaku industry for not diversifying enough.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
If you can't make something because you love the art form, then what should you make it for? Money?

According to every fanservice anime and manga creator, yes.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This article was very poorly translated from Japanese.
What he actually said was about animation. Animators no longer spend time watching real humans move (because they hate humans), so they don't really animate it realistically anymore. It didn't have much to do with otaku.

He waits to use the word "otaku" until the end, when he specifically uses it as a summary word for the "people/animators" he described above.

「だからオタクの巣になるんだよ」

"And so [the industry] becomes a breeding ground for otaku."

ANN has good translators, even if they occasionally miss/don't cover certain details. As someone who knows Japanese, I guarantee that you can trust them 99% of the time with what they say. =3
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I get that Miyazaki isn't happy with the way things are animated these days. That's fine, but does he really need to envoke that stereotype that all otaku are socially incompotent shut ins?

You do realise that the birth rates in Japan are in dangerous decline because so many young men are indeed socially inept and would rather spend time with virtual girls then real women, no? Not to mention the horrendously chauvinistic culture that is exacerbated by most anime anyway...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
If you can't make something because you love the art form, then what should you make it for? Money?

i think that saying otaku in general "love the art form" might be overstating it. some do, but plenty of them are just garden-variety fanboys who like shows that cater to their tastes and howl like apes when a company (say, KyoAni) "betrays" them by making shows that don't target them (Free, for instance)

Free has been financially successful AND has tapped into a territory that at the time was not overly saturated.

The follow up project KnK was ironically based on the "dime a dozen" approach by adapting a VN that had a subject that was popular, urban fantasy, yet KnK has effectively been a failure in comparison to Free' response.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31