• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki: The Problem With The Anime Industry Is It's Full of Otaku

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
There is, and has never been a moe genre.

Maybe not a genre in terms of "seinen, shoujo", etc. but couldn't you definitively cherry pick particular slice of life/comedy shows as being "shows deliberately designed to evoke feelings of moe"? That seems to me to be just as sound as "shows designed specifically for titillation", which works just fine for hentai and ecchi.

Go to Crunchyroll, click on shows, then click on genres, and you will not find moe listed because it is not a genre but a feeling. It's hard to cherry pick particular shows as moe because, again, what one person finds moe another person does not. Even if the anime production staff was trying to evoke the moe feeling from the audience in the anime, that would not make the anime itself moe.

So, according to you, even the most adorably pouting, wobbly-eyed upward glancing, trying it's damnedest to be the most freaking adorable thing ever kind of show fails to be moe if the viewer themselves does not experience a moe feeling?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Alright, wrong choice of words. Razz But you get the gist of it. Shounen = action, shoujo = rom-com, typically.

Way to cherry pick. Don't mix genres with the demographic. It does not work. Some genres are more specific to certain demographics, but that is not a rule. Comedy, for example, can go to any demographic. So can action.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
[quote="whiskeyii"Alright, wrong choice of words. Razz But you get the gist of it. Shounen = action, shoujo = rom-com, typically.

Way to cherry pick. Don't mix genres with the demographic. It does not work. Some genres are more specific to certain demographics, but that is not a rule. Comedy, for example, can go to any demographic. So can action.[/quote]

Yes, yes, I used the wrong words. Sheesh! My point is, if you can design and categorize shows around the kind of content and/or reaction they are intended to produce, why can't intentionally-moe shows be lumped into that kind of category.
Raspberry'Gynoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Paradox295 wrote:
Right, but the thing is, in moe shows, those girls are emotionally helpless.

I'm not going to get into an argument about what women are capable of physically, that would derail the topic a lot. Though I widly disagree based upon knowing human limits yet, and female Olympics, even though their athletics are oppress and marginalized, have beaten world records of men not many years earlier.

Also, even if that were the case, being physically weaker on average does not mean physically helpless. Though I think that the entire world underestimates women's physical abilities. Though I should avoid this line of very complicated biological discussion. Or your opinions about Anita Sarkeesian, and so forth, as that will only derail the topic.

In moe shows, the girls are far from depicted as emotionally or physically helpless. They may not be tough badasses who lift everyday, but they live in peaceful settings where that is not necessary.

The characters of Non Non Biyori are not emotionally weak or helpless. In fact, they're quite realistic for their age. And if anything, most moe characters tend to be more mature mentally, than their age suggests.

The characters of K-On! may not be that disciplined, but are not what I would call "emotionally weak". Occassionally irresponsible, but not more so than many bands in real life.

Nagato Yuki is a very intelligent, though quiet character.

And Mio and Yuuko are only unrealistic and immature for their age, in-so-much-as it comedic how wild and crazy they and their lives can be.

Tomoko of WataMote could be seen as immature, especially by your standards. But is a pretty realistic, if not exaggerated portrayal of what life could be like for a young fujoshi.
ProjectLEAF

sonic720 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
There is, and has never been a moe genre.

Maybe not a genre in terms of "seinen, shoujo", etc. but couldn't you definitively cherry pick particular slice of life/comedy shows as being "shows deliberately designed to evoke feelings of moe"? That seems to me to be just as sound as "shows designed specifically for titillation", which works just fine for hentai and ecchi.

Go to Crunchyroll, click on shows, then click on genres, and you will not find moe listed because it is not a genre but a feeling. It's hard to cherry pick particular shows as moe because, again, what one person finds moe another person does not. Even if the anime production staff was trying to evoke the moe feeling from the audience in the anime, that would not make the anime itself moe.
This is BEYOND ignorant.

If you don't know what is generally considered moe at this point then you're not equipped to even debate the issue.

Seriously how disingenuous can some of you be?
DmonHiro

ProjectLEAF wrote:
Another example of goalpost moving. Refer to my last post replying to you, please.

I did. You didn't answer the question. It's a yes or no question. It should be simple. Do you not want to be entertained by anime you consider superior. There are two possible answers:
1. Yes, I do.
2. No, I don't.

You may add a ", but...." after each one, if you feel like excusing your answer.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally I feel very moe for Spike in Cowboy Bebop.

On a serious note, talking about this shit is impossible, because it's hard to even bring up examples because the goalposts keep getting moved.

So let me address it right now. A moe show is a show where the author's intent, from episode 1, is to get you to feel that way about the characters. Moe may mean a subjective emotion, but art can be emotional manipulative. Writers, directors and artists have been using storytelling to manipulate the emotions of their audience for as long as art has existed.

Shows made with the sole purpose of producing the feeling of "moe" in it's audience are "moe shows".
sonic720

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
So, according to you, even the most adorably pouting, wobbly-eyed upward glancing, trying it's damnedest to be the most freaking adorable thing ever kind of show fails to be moe if the viewer themselves does not experience a moe feeling?

Yes, because moe is the feeling an individual viewer has not a core, or even universally accepted, aesthetic. There are things designed to be cute that I do not find cute, just as there are cute moments in anime I don't find moe.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
My point is, if you can design and categorize shows around the kind of content and/or reaction they are intended to produce, why can't intentionally-moe shows be lumped into that kind of category.

Because moe isn't a type of story. You can say "I'm going to write a comedy", and people will know you want to write something funny. If you said "I'm going to write an action tale", people will know you want to write something with lots of battles and conflict. If you tell someone, anyone "I'm going to write a moe story", their first reaction is going to be "What do you mean?". You probably mean you want to write something with lots of moe characters, but that says nothing about the type of story itself, since moe can be present in every gernre.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ProjectLEAF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ProjectLEAF wrote:
Another example of goalpost moving. Refer to my last post replying to you, please.

I did. You didn't answer the question. It's a yes or no question. It should be simple. Do you not want to be entertained by anime you consider superior. There are two possible answers:
1. Yes, I do.
2. No, I don't.

You may add a ", but...." after each one, if you feel like excusing your answer.
What you're asking is irrelevant, or a simple method of you moving the goalpost to better suit your own point. I won't be arguing it. Everything you need to know about my stance is stated in that post. I don't mention "superiority" at all so I see no point in arguing it now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ProjectLEAF wrote:
What you're asking is irrelevant, or a simple method of you moving the goalpost to better suit your own point. I won't be arguing it. Everything you need to know about my stance is stated in that post. I don't mention "superiority" at all so I see no point in arguing it now.

So, you can't answer a simple yes or no question. I haven't moved my goalpost. This is the 3rd time I ask the exact same question, and the 3rd time you refuse to give an answer. Your stance seems to be you want better anime to be produced, but you refuse to admit you want that better anime for your entertainment. There is nothing else you could possibly want it for anyway.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
My point is, if you can design and categorize shows around the kind of content and/or reaction they are intended to produce, why can't intentionally-moe shows be lumped into that kind of category.

Because moe isn't a type of story. You can say "I'm going to write a comedy", and people will know you want to write something funny. If you said "I'm going to write an action tale", people will know you want to write something with lots of battles and conflict. If you tell someone, anyone "I'm going to write a moe story", their first reaction is going to be "What do you mean?"

I'm not saying moe is a type of story. It's a descriptor. Just like how you can have, say, a "black" comedy. It's still a comedy, it's just dark. You can have a comedy, and make it "moe". Or just replace "moe" with "cute". "I'm going to make a cute show" implies a use of cute stuff. So why wouldn't "I'm going to make a moe show" have the same kind of implications?

(Oh god, is this where I start arguing semantics and definitions?)

I'm just saying, I don't see why "I'm going to make a hentai show" is any different from saying "I'm going to make a moe show" in concept.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm not saying moe is a type of story. It's a descriptor. Just like how you can have, say, a "black" comedy. It's still a comedy, it's just dark. You can have a comedy, and make it "moe".

And that's exactly it. "black comedy" isn't really a genre either.
The eleven original genres are comedy, drama, epic, erotic, nonsense, lyric, mythopoeia, romance, satire, tragedy and tragicomedy.

A black comedy would be comedy. Hentai would be erotic.
To be more accurate, the black comedy is a sub-genre of comedy.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
ProjectLEAF wrote:

If you don't know what is generally considered moe at this point then you're not equipped to even debate the issue.

Moe, to me, means "things to HNNNNNGH about".
What are you using it to mean?
Raspberry'Gynoid wrote:
Though I widly disagree based upon knowing human limits yet, and female Olympics, even though their athletics are oppress and marginalized, have beaten world records of men not many years earlier.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that any female athlete could beat the tar out of this guy.
"Inherently physically weaker", sure. Totes.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm not saying moe is a type of story. It's a descriptor. Just like how you can have, say, a "black" comedy. It's still a comedy, it's just dark. You can have a comedy, and make it "moe".

And that's exactly it. "black comedy" isn't really a genre either.
The eleven original genres are comedy, drama, epic, erotic, nonsense, lyric, mythopoeia, romance, satire, tragedy and tragicomedy.

A black comedy would be tragicomedy. Hentai would be erotic.

So it's a sub-genre. A genre within a genre. In other words, a descriptor of a genre. Isn't that what I'm saying? That you can have a moe action/comedy/romance/slice of life show that is still a subgenre of moe?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 31