• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki: The Problem With The Anime Industry Is It's Full of Otaku

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ProjectLEAF wrote:
Learn how to debate.

But I'm not debating. I'm asking you 3 questions.

Nayu wrote:
U mad bro?

No, but I am confused. I'm starting to think he may not be all there...

I'm pretty sure that using his insane troll logic, he's winning. I'm pretty sure anyone who doesn't subscribe to insane troll logic is terribly amused by his "I'm taking my toys and leaving" tantrum cause he can't answer your simple question. Smile
Raspberry'Gynoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
In a way, we were in a semantics argument to begin with. Moe is a buzzword, and otaku is a broad concept that extends to military and train fans.

And that would be hard to avoid, since the term otaku, at least, was immediately invoked in the article title. And moe was soon to follow thereafter.

But for where the argument has taken, I think that things could be far more civil if we could talk in specifics about matters. At least people might be able to find some common ground. It seems like people like talking in broad strokes, because it makes it easier to degrade and other rather than to understand their perspective.

A higher degree of understanding, rather than blanket generalizations, elitism, closed mindedness, and general intolerance for other people and their tastes and circumstances.
ProjectLEAF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
There's more troll-logic in ignoring points and proceeding to ask irrelevant questions.

What can I say? I don't have time to sit here chase my tail with this guy. You're either going to think for yourself and argue my points or not.

There are entire posts of mine he's disregarded in favor of goalpost moving and hair splitting. But yeah if I don't answer his mighty questions then I lose and my points are invalid. Right.

Last edited by ProjectLEAF on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Paradox295 wrote:

Having feelings for a fictional person, isn't having feelings for an actual person. It's having feelings for an idea of a person. You're emotionally invested in a person that you control. They cannot have individual feelings separate from your own. like couples do in normal, real life, healthy relationships.

Also, "drinking alcohol" is not a hobby.

I swear down, for some reason, anime fans and other "niche interest groups" like to paint "normal people" as those who lack "real" interests and hobbies.

My god, you norms sure have it great. Some people have genuine mental problems and can't make social contacts no matter how they try. So in the end they escape to anime to be obsessed in characters or something. As usual most people lacks too much perspective to have the empathy to understand why moe anime is popular to begin with.
Shouldn't they then I don't know look for help? Sounds like this "moe" anime does nothing but hide the problem so you don't have to face it, not actually cure it. They way you describe it makes it sound terribly unhealthy.

Why should our empathy be that which encourages behavior that seems pretty negative and not one that helps anybody. Are you saying you just want people to leave you alone as you wallow in this despair that you-as you make it sound- pretend it is'nt there through fake cartoons that cuddle you and in no way encourage positive change. I guess that positive change is in the eye of the beholder and us other people have no business saying anything right?

All these posts are quite frankly very sad. They all come off as

"relationships are very hard, humans a very hard! So I'll just have fake female anime friends. Don't JUDGE ME!. You don't know! Who gets to decide what is good anyway!"

Well I guess you're right, who does get to decide what is good and what isn't. I don't know though, I feel like the tons of years of humanity would suggest "social isolation" isn't exactly good for people.

"Oh being a shut-in is'nt bad. It's a choice. You don't get to tell me it's bad".

Ok sure, I guess we don't. I guess it's just our warped perspective as social beings to see others who willfully try to avoid any sort of human social activity and replace them with cartoons as negative. Gee, I wonder where we got that idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ProjectLEAF wrote:

What can I say? I don't have time to sit here chase my tail with this guy. You're either going to think for yourself and argue my points or not.

Here's a point for you: Maybe you should take your [expletive] and shove it up your [expletive] while you [expletive] in the [expletive].
Or, you know, you could actually explain yourself and, oh, I don't know, foster some decent bloody discussion in this apocalyptic Hades of a thread.
MR20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to quote what i posted in regards to this on NeoGAF before i got banned (bunch of not-so-nice-people)

Quote:
I love that anime is aimed at people like me.

Anime is big part of my life and I hope the "pandering" continues. I hate real people and relationships, it's one of the reasons why anime is so appealing to me.

The reason for escapism is to get away from boring ole reality. You guys don't have to like it , but there's plenty of people like me that do.

I'll be enjoying my waifus, tsunderes, fanservice, and moe for years on down the line.

I don't need regular "friends" or "relationships". I've never been on a date, I've been a hermit (only leaving the house on occasion for the mental clinic, gamestop' etc) for the past 6-7 years, and I couldn't be any happier.

fudge "reality" and "real life" I don't need friends when I have my video games and anime to keep me company.

If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
That is a GAF troll post if I ever saw one.

spoiler[I sure hope so.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Paradox295

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

Raspberry'Gynoid wrote:
Though I widly disagree based upon knowing human limits yet, and female Olympics, even though their athletics are oppress and marginalized, have beaten world records of men not many years earlier.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that any female athlete could beat the tar out of this guy.
"Inherently physically weaker", sure. Totes.

I never said "inherently". I said naturally.

"Inherently" would imply that it's a consistent characteristic among women, when that isn't true.

People have been selectively bred for centuries. The men who hunt the most, and can fight off attackers live on to continue their bloodline. Likewise with women who are good child bearers.

Now, don't take that to mean "hurr, durr. men are strong, women only used for cooking food and baby making". Those are gender roles. But they were naturally created so that people in pre-modern eras would be successful in breeding. Of course, they're outdated in modern times, but they were naturally developed for a reason.

To deny otherwise is to deny the concept of evolution.

There's a reason that Ronda Rousey doesn't fight Renan Barão, even though they are both the champions of their respective Bantamweight divisions of the UFC.

Wrathful wrote:
Paradox295 wrote:

Having feelings for a fictional person, isn't having feelings for an actual person. It's having feelings for an idea of a person. You're emotionally invested in a person that you control. They cannot have individual feelings separate from your own. like couples do in normal, real life, healthy relationships.

Also, "drinking alcohol" is not a hobby.

I swear down, for some reason, anime fans and other "niche interest groups" like to paint "normal people" as those who lack "real" interests and hobbies.

My god, you norms sure have it great. Some people have genuine mental problems and can't make social contacts no matter how they try. So in the end they escape to anime to be obsessed in characters or something. As usual most people lacks too much perspective to have the empathy to understand why moe anime is popular to begin with.

Not necessarily.

I had to train myself to be social.

I used to barely say a word to anyone except the people I was most closest to.

That was up until, say 18 months ago, when I realized it was an obstacle that was causing problems in my life, which I decided to change.

It's not like you can just get up one morning and say "I'm not going to struggle talking to strangers any more". It takes some effort, but eventually, you will stop being reluctant to talk to new people.

So, the question is. Do I lack empathy towards you? Or do I feel that you have more potential than you believe, and that you gave up too damn early?
ProjectLEAF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
MR20 wrote:
I'm going to quote what i posted in regards to this on NeoGAF before i got banned (bunch of not-so-nice-people)

Quote:
I love that anime is aimed at people like me.

Anime is big part of my life and I hope the "pandering" continues. I hate real people and relationships, it's one of the reasons why anime is so appealing to me.

The reason for escapism is to get away from boring ole reality. You guys don't have to like it , but there's plenty of people like me that do.

I'll be enjoying my waifus, tsunderes, fanservice, and moe for years on down the line.

I don't need regular "friends" or "relationships". I've never been on a date, I've been a hermit (only leaving the house on occasion for the mental clinic, gamestop' etc) for the past 6-7 years, and I couldn't be any happier.

fudge "reality" and "real life" I don't need friends when I have my video games and anime to keep me company.

If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
In GAF's defense this reads like a poorly executed troll.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
snip
If fixing mental problems would be easy, then there would be no institution, there would have been no shut-ins.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-everyone-gets-wrong-about-mental-illness_p2/

This should explain better than I could that Mental problems are not that simple as treating broken bones or cold. And we just DON'T sit on our asses all day. We do look for help from psychologists, we do seek friends to confide in but not many people understand why you're mad or frustrated.

Anyways anime is such a big relief to exterior stress, there is such reasons why quite a number of people gets overly obsessed. The way I see a lot of people likes doing in excess, anime is no different.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ProjectLEAF wrote:

Well, what do you know, you found some free time after all. But you're right, this post you just wrote was much more informative then what you don't have time to write, right?
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This is like all the conversations I've had with staunch hard scifi fans that thinks they know what's way better for industry then rest of the fans that are beneath them. What they know(in both cases) is whats better for their own tastes in entertainment.
ProjectLEAF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ProjectLEAF wrote:

Well, what do you know, you found some free time after all. But you're right, this post you just wrote was much more informative then what you don't have time to write, right?
Are you selectively replying to me or did you genuinely miss my post before this?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
31 pages running in circles and we're basically at the "everyone fling poo at eachother" phase so I'm going to shut this down now and not worry about babysitting it over the weekend.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31