• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sgt. Frog/Keroro TV Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justice_94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
The art looks amazing compared to the original series
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
this is the opening, so it's not a complete representation of the quality of the series itself, but... if the short episodes are like this, they may not be so bad after all.

Also... SHIN KERORO! I know next to nothing about him, so... I guess I have to finally finish the last few episodes of the original series and then return to reading the manga, when he appears! =3
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to find where in the manga that guy appears in, but it'll at the very least be nice to see exactly who he's supposed to be in the show. The trailer is really reminding me how much I wouldn't be watching this if it weren't for keroro though Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I'm still trying to find where in the manga that guy appears in, but it'll at the very least be nice to see exactly who he's supposed to be in the show. The trailer is really reminding me how much I wouldn't be watching this if it weren't for keroro though Laughing

Shin Keroro appeared in more recent-ish volumes--#22, I think? It came out Summer 2012, I believe. He is spoiler[a clone of Keroro] and becomes one of the main Shoutai members.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this!
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
the art is terrible actually, well its flash and shorts so I wasn't expecting much. still gonna watch it. Cool
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
The art style matches Yoshizaki's much more. Then again, it is a Flash series so that can easily be done.

Is it just me or did Aki's bust size shrink? Might just be the angle. What? I don't like my continuity errors!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
the art is terrible actually, well its flash and shorts so I wasn't expecting much. still gonna watch it. Cool

And the original series sort of spent itself out once it got past Episode #200--
Jokes that were just sort of improvisatory ref-gags (the Galaxy Express stop, Keroro's insatiable curiosity about banana peels) now became permanent running jokes to add to the show-bible, like supporting characters on the Simpsons.
I can't imagine that doing the series without Junichi Sato's odd taste for whimsy would make them any fresher.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:

And the original series sort of spent itself out once it got past Episode #200--
Jokes that were just sort of improvisatory ref-gags (the Galaxy Express stop, Keroro's insatiable curiosity about banana peels) now became permanent running jokes to add to the show-bible, like supporting characters on the Simpsons.
I can't imagine that doing the series without Junichi Sato's odd taste for whimsy would make them any fresher.

From the looks of it, they're going more off the manga, which is still episodically silly, but avoided being extremely repetitive and offered more plot than the anime (though I enjoyed both anyway).
Jex2193

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Meh I don't like flash animation, and I haven't really gotten the chance to get into Keroro Razz
But oh hey! Mayumi Gojo sings this Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
From the looks of it, they're going more off the manga, which is still episodically silly, but avoided being extremely repetitive and offered more plot than the anime (though I enjoyed both anyway).

So, no more annual beach-comedy contests, then? Razz
NeonZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Personally, I kind of feel like that was more like 100-200. The third director in the beginning reused many jokes and it often wasn't really executed well. Starting from the 5th season and on though, he seemed to find his footing. Only the MushaKero and KeroZero episodes were constantly disappointing, since they never seemed to get the humor to work well in stories without the main human cast members to play off with the Keronians.

Quote:

Junichi Sato only really directed the first season of the anime though. He also often toned down some of the darker jokes from the manga, something that later seasons, especially the last one, have over the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1