• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any interest in an out of print manga list?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly sure TP managed to release all of Peach Girl.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yes, Tokyo Pop released the first 8 volumes as Peach Girl and the later 10 volumes as Peach Girl Change of Heart. They also issued a three volume Sae"s Story. I can dig them out if you need any details.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Thank you to everybody who is contributing information.

Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
Parasyte continued by Kodansha Comic Del Rey

Actually, Del Rey did re-release the whole series (that's the editon I've got), they just stumbled when they tried to reprint it years later.

Quote:
Pet Shop of Horrors 8 of 10 volumes were released Tokyopop

Nope, 10/10 Smile

Quote:
SaiKano 6 of 7 volumes were released Viz

Was finished, but volume 7 is very hard to find.

Quote:
Summit of the Gods, The 3 of 5 volumes were released Fanfare

Volume 4 came out last year. I'm pretty sure Fanfare plans on finishing the series.

Quote:
Swan 13 of 21 volumes were released CMX

15/21

Quote:
Zodiac P.I. 1 of 4 volumes were released Tokyopop

Was completed.

I will change Swan and remove the others.

st_owly wrote:
I'm fairly sure TP managed to release all of Peach Girl.

Alan45 wrote:
Yes, Tokyo Pop released the first 8 volumes as Peach Girl and the later 10 volumes as Peach Girl Change of Heart.

I had not realized that the title had changed.
Since Peach Girl was completed I will remove it from the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DSX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Fantastic list!

Here's a few suggestions in alphabetical order:

- 3x3 Eyes had only 8 of 40 volumes released by Dark Horse.
- Alien Nine Emulators was released. It was one volume, and complete.
- Bastard!! - Viz stopped publishing this series at volume 19; it's 27 and ongoing.
- Boogiepop Phantom novels were only partially released here: 4 of 14 were released, so this can be added to the list.
- Cantarella: 10 volumes of 10 were released here, but then the author released 2 more volumes in Japan after Go! Comi had closed doors, so it's incomplete.
- Deadman Wonderland can soon be removed from the list, as it was license rescued by Viz.
- Dirty Pair novels: 2 of 8 released by Dark Horse, so it can be added.
- DNAngel was "completely" released by Tokyopop at the time (13 volumes) but now the author has continued it, and it's at 15 and ongoing.
- Drops of God can be added to the list. I believe Vertical announced they weren't continuing it. 10 of 40 volumes released.
- We sadly have to add From Eroica With Love to the list: 15 volumes were released here; it's an insane 39 volumes and ongoing in Japan.
- Full Metal Panic novels: technically 5 were released here, as the fourth volume was an omnibus containing novels 4 and 5.
- Kino no Tabi - Tokyopop published only 1 of the 17 novels.
- The Mardock Scramble novel on your list is a giant omnibus that contains novels 1-3, so they all were released.
- Miracle Girls was completely released, all 9 volumes
- Peach Girl: the other replies are correct, all 18 volumes were released with 9-18 containing the subtitle "Change of Heart".
- Pet Shop of Horrors: 10 of 10 volumes of the original series were released. However, only 8 of 11 volumes (and it's ongoing) were released of the sequel series, Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo.
- Saikano: all 7 volumes were released.
- Saiyuki Reload: 9 of 10 volumes released by Tokyopop.
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei - Kodansha seems to have stopped publishing this at volume 14 of 30.
- Slayers novels - Tokyopop released 8 of 15.
- Sorcerer Hunters: all 13 volumes were released in flipped format. Tokyopop then re-released 1-10 unflipped. However, it *has* all been out in English.
- Steam Detectives had 8 volumes released, not 7
- Suppli - 5 volumes released here by Tokyopop, with 4&5 combined into one omnibus. The series is 7 volumes long.
- Tsubasa: Those With Wings was completely released here. We got the 'bunkoban' 3-volume edition.
- Two Flowers for the Dragon: only 6 of 7 volumes were published - it can be added to the list.
- Your and My Secret: 7 of 8 volumes were released by TokyoPop.

Hope this helped. So much incomplete manga in my collection...

Edit: (Various additions)

Last edited by DSX on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 7 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
@DSX
Thank you for all of the information.
I will be updating my local copy of the list throughout the day. When I have made all of the changes that have been contributed I will upload it to replace the current file.

There is one thing that I want to address now:
Quote:
Full Metal Panic novels: technically 5 were released here, as the fourth volume was an omnibus containing novels 4 and 5.

I was uncertain about how to list this.
I decided to say that 4 volumes were released because that is the number of different volumes that Tokyopop released. I was afraid that if I said that 5 volumes were released then some people would go looking for a volume 5 from Tokyopop.
EDIT: I am going to add a note saying "Tokyopop volume 4 contains Japanese volumes 4 and 5."
That should cover it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
With just a quick look at the list I see a couple of things to add or correct. I'm going to have to bounce your list against what I have.

In most cases, I'm sure of what was available here but not of the total. A case in point. Bastard!! Viz released 19 volumes. The encyclopedia lists 27 volumes as of February 2012 but does not indicate if the title has completed.

I'll post additional changes if I find them.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
A few minor corrections now I've had a chance to have a proper look:

Blood Alone was first published Infinity Studios, then resuced by Seven Seas, but it changed Japanese publishers and SS lost the rights. They (SS) published 6 volumes.
B.O.D.Y is 15 volumes in Japan not 14.
Gakuen Alice is complete in Japan at 31 volumes.
Haou Airen by Mayu Shinjo was licensed by Viz but cancelled before release because they didn't realise how rape-y it is.
Kodomo no Jikan was licensed by Seven Seas but never released
Junjou Romantica is still ongoing in Japan.
Rozen Maiden changed publishers in Japan after the 8th volume and was rebooted under the title Rozen Maiden II. That is complete in Japan at 10 volumes, but has not been licensed.
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi was licensed by BLU/Tokyopop but they didn't manage to release it before closing down.
Seven Seas released an omnibus of all 3 Strawberry Panic novels. The manga was cancelled in Japan after 2 volumes. SS have released all that was published.
Tokyopop's release of Tsubasa: Those With Wings were 2 in 1 omnibuses, so the release is complete.
CMX released a series called Venus Capriccio by Mai Nishikata. They managed to release 4 of 5 volumes before they shut down.
Vertical have stated that they'd like to continue Drops of God in the future, they just can't get the rights yet.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
A case in point. Bastard!! Viz released 19 volumes. The encyclopedia lists 27 volumes as of February 2012 but does not indicate if the title has completed.

I think that Bastard! was never on the list because nobody was sure if Viz was done with it.
Since it has been nearly five years since volume 19, and volume 20 was apparently never published, I think that it is safe to add it.
I will list 27 Japanese volumes. That can always be changed.

Thanks again.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Rozen Maiden changed publishers in Japan after the 8th volume and was rebooted under the title Rozen Maiden II. That is complete in Japan at 10 volumes, but has not been licensed.

I am going to keep it simple and just say that 8 of 10 volumes were released.

I will make the other changes that you listed.

Thanks
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
st_owly wrote:

I am going to keep it simple and just say that 8 of 10 volumes were released.

I will make the other changes that you listed.

Thanks

You're welcome. Thanks for making the list! Rozen Maiden II is 10 new volumes, so 18 volumes in total. (Original 8 + 10 of II)
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
You're welcome. Thanks for making the list! Rozen Maiden II is 10 new volumes, so 18 volumes in total. (Original 8 + 10 of II)

I understand now. I will list it that way.

Thanks again.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
A couple of changes:
I have 6 volumes of Aria from TokyoPop
I have 6 volumes of Battle Club from TokyoPop so this is probably complete
I have 5 volumes of Galaxy Angel from Broccoli so this is probably complete.
I have 8 volumes of Never Give Up.

Additions:
Bound Beauty 3 of 8 volumes Go Comi
Cannon God Exaxxion 5 of 7 Dark Horse
City Hunter 5 of 35 Raijin
Dark Metro 2 of 3 TokyoPop
Dazzel 10 of 13 TokyoPop
Desert Cora 3 of 5 ADV
Doors of Chaos 2 of 3 TokyoPop
Dragon Sister 2 of 5 TokyoPop
Drakuun 3 of 5 Dark Horse
Eat Man 2 of 19 Viz
Fist of the Blue Sky 4 of 22 Raijin
Four Eyed Prince 3 of 4 Del Ray
Foxy Lady 3 of 5 TokyoPop Note: volume 4 appears to have been solicited, I can't tell if it actually was issued.
Genju No Seiza 8 of 14 TokyoPop
Geo Breeders 5 of 14 CPM
Go Go Heaven!! 9 of 13 CMK
Hitohira 3 of 7 Aurora
I am Here! 2 of 5 Del Ray
I hate You More Than Anyone 9 of 13 CMX
Initial D 32 of 48 TokyoPop
Kid's Joker 1 of 6 ADV
Maid Shokun! 1 of 4 TokyoPop
Notatsu Junkie 6 of 16 TokyoPop
Oh! My Brother 2 of 4 CMX
Orifina 8 of 12 CMX
Papillion - Hana to Cho 6 of 8 Del Ray
Pineapple Army 1 of 8 Viz
Platinum Garden 7 of 15 TokyoPop
Polyphonica Cardinal Crimson 1 of 4 CMX
Ray 3 of 7 ADV
Reiko the Zombi Shop 6 of 11 Dark Horse
Shinobi Life 8 of 13 TokyoPop
Short Sunzen! 2 of 5 TokyoPop
The Stellar Six of Gingacho 2 of 10 TokyoPop
A Tale of an Unknown Country 2 of 3 CMX
Three in Love 2 of 5 Go Comi
Vampire Yui 1 of 5 Iron Cat
Yuozajura Quartet 5 of 14 Del Ray

I have been trying to check these against the Encyclopedia here, but I think there are some listed that were offered but never actually issued. Does anyone know if the third volume of Bogle from Go Comi ever came out??
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DSX wrote:
- Boogiepop Phantom novels were only partially released here: 4 of 14 were released, so this can be added to the list

This is very confusing.
I have found, so far, mention of 15 different Boogiepop novels with 15 different titles, and five other novels set in the Boogiepop universe.
For now I am going to take the easy way out and just put Boogiepop off until later.

EDIT: There are many more additions and changes than I was expecting so this is going to take a lot longer than I thought.
Please understand that I am not complaining about this. I want the list to be as complete and useful as possible.
So keep the information coming.Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
@Alan - I Am Here is 5 Japanese books published as 2 omnibuses so it's complete.

Another addition:
The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko - 2/3 Tokyopop. Sequel Koi Dano Ai Dano unlicensed.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly
Thanks for the correction. I'm working off my notes.

I was going to list The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko. I only have the first two volumes. As far as I know TokyoPop did not publish the third volume, however it is listed here in the Encyclopedia as published. I think it was just solicited but I'm not sure how to prove a negative. I ran into this on several titles, especially with Go Comi, TokyoPop and CMX all of which had abrupt ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3