• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I realized that might only be obvious to me. I love that show. It got me back into anime after a slow period. Just watched a couple episodes over Christmas. I Probably wouldn't have needed the hints if you had used the sub dialogue.

next-

Fansubs:

Character A: [*****] is my first companion.
Character B: He gave me a frog.
Character A: I got one too.
Character B: [Character A], did you eat it?
Character A: Yeah. How about you?
Character B: *laughing* It's still in my pocket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
hint 1:
spoiler[It would make just about as much sense to say Character B was Character A's first companion. B seems to be just about the most important person alive to A and the very first person close to Character A's age that A had ever met. But it is true that, until this point, A & B haven't spent much time together and A and ***** had been together on a journey for at least a couple weeks.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
hint 2
spoiler[There are similarities between the major supporting character that A & B are talking about and a supporting character in an anime made many, many years later in 2010 that is connected by a partial creator of both. Both characters are hunter-gatherer types who tend to offer strange wild game to those they want to be friendly with, and both have a similar looking wild character design. ]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Took some effort, but I think I tracked it down based on the clues: spoiler[A is Conan, B is Lana, and they're referring to Jimsy, at some point after Lana is rescued from Industria in Future Boy Conan.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Correct.

I figured they had to be significant clues for a 35+ year old unlicensed (in NA) show. Although the biggest clue was that I mentioned it last week in the "What are you watching" thread and its still on the current page there.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Actually, I thought the clues were excellent. The second one gave just enough information for someone who wants to do the research to puzzle out the series (without it being obvious) and the first did the same for the specific characters. Of course, the fact that I knew that spoiler[Miyazaki was involved in making Future Boy Conan] off the top of my head didn't hurt, as once I pinned down spoiler[Spiller from The Secret World of Arrietty] as the lookalike character being referred to in Hint #2, pinning down the true series was mere process of elimination.

Anyway, this quote shouldn't require anywhere near as much effort. From the dub:

Character A: "Hey, Character B, are you all right?"
Character B: "Gh-"
Character C: "Gh-?"
Character B: "Ghosts are worse than having to wake up early!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Character A is the effective leader of the club all three are in, while Character C is one of the first girls to befriend her at her new school and Character B is involved in the club essentially because she got bribed.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
I may know this one, based on how much Key loves it.

spoiler[I think this is Mako Reizei (B) to Miho Nishizumi (A), Girls und Panzer. The other girl (C) would be either Hana Isuzu or Saori Takebe; both talked to Miho on the first day of school.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I assume that you're being sarcastic with that first comment?

Anyway, the answer is essentially correct, even if it does lack context. spoiler[C is, indeed, Saori, and this took place in episode 8 when the trio was looking for wayward crew members who got lost in the bowels of the school ship.]

Open turn.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
No sarcasm in pointing out how your real-life adoration for that show helped me to figure out where the quote was from.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I was, of course, referring to your claim about me adoring the show. (Yeah. . . no.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I do remember you saying in the preview guide how much you liked the way the two friends stuck up for the lead girl and accepted her initial decision not to join the club despite them barely knowing her. You said it made the show lovable or something to that effect. That's why your hint made so much sense to me, with its mentioning of girls who befriend the eventual leader of their club on the first day of school.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Getting this started again. The ellipses will be revealed as hints, if needed. I will require context for reasons that will be clear if you know the scene.

Hmph. The fools. They move about with good cheer in this heat. But even among them, the award for biggest fool of them all goes to XXX. I can read him like a children’s picture book. He comes in here without a … or a … On top of that he’s all smiles. I didn’t need the … to know what he wanted, it was that obvious! It’s idiocy, sheer idiocy! Burning himself under the sun’s damaging rays until his skin peels off when he could be, when he could be here next to me.

Oh, and it's from the official sub.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
This is spoiler[Victorique brooding as she overlooks the students getting ready to go off on summer break. The biggest fool is of course Kujou, who's supposed to go on a trip with Avril, though he ends up staying behind anyways. The blanks are crime, present, and wellspring of wisdom. The show is Gosick.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Impressive, Vaisaga. Your turn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 101