• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Current one is spoiler[Marie relaying Soma's feelings to Sergei as they part ways in Gundam 00.]

That is correct.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
That doesn't matter, as he identified who was speaking the bolded line.

And people have absolutely gotten utterly anal about this before.

I once gave an answer like "Character A is ____ Chracter B is ____ from ____ and was told that I didn't give proper context because I didn't have it phrased like "This is XXXXX talking to XXXXX"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And people have absolutely gotten utterly anal about this before.

Only when they've been mislabled. Since Character B is the bolded speaker, identifying the one speaking is the same as identifying Character B anyways.

rosebrook11 wrote:
I once gave an answer like "Character A is ____ Chracter B is ____ from ____ and was told that I didn't give proper context because I didn't have it phrased like "This is XXXXX talking to XXXXX"

The rules do say you need context. Simply listing off the characters and show is unacceptable for the same reason you can't make list threads: it's just plain lazy. Saying "A talking to B" is the minimal requirement for me, although I also think that's a lazy answer (one which I'm not above giving myself). The trade off for this to me is that you absolutely need to have the right characters. If you have the speaker right but the addressee wrong, I'd still give it to you if you provided a proper description of the context.

In the end, rule 10 says the quote poster is the one who decides what sort of answer to accept.

Fansub:

Character A: And he fires a single shot! A power certain to kill! Its name is...!

Character B: Yeah! Hit 'em in the face!

Character A: Its name is...! Its name is...! Its name is...! Its name is...! Its name is...!

Character C: [ITS NAME]!!

Make sure you answer in the most hot blooded way possible Wink
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
so, read the answer in Nobuyuki Hiyama's voice?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga, the rules also state that simply naming the addressee is good enough for context. So demanding an answer in "X talking to Y" format is not only anal retentive it is also unfair, since rosebrook11's answer already contains context.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I interpret that rule to be like what I said: You can use the addressee as context, but that means you have to present it as context.

If simply listing the characters and show are enough, why does anyone even bother with the context?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If simply listing the characters and show are enough, why does anyone even bother with the context?

It's not like people are leaving the context out; naming the addressee IS giving context.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's unreasonable to want people to put a bit more effort into it than that.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why slightly rearranging the sentence structure counts as "more effort," and I definitely don't see how demanding it increases the fun level (which was the point, I thought). "Fun" is also the same reason I typically put in unnecessary context, though, so meh.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd like also to point out there are cases in which people manage to figure out quotes without having watched the show used for the quote so they will not be able to provide [the proper] context.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I always thought context (sometimes going down to listing the exact episode) was just for bragging/showing-off rights or smth. I know the rules say the person who posts the quote can demand as much specificity as they desire, but I honestly think it's pretty anal to say an answer is not sufficient due to the insignificant variation rosebrook mentioned
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm not sure why slightly rearranging the sentence structure counts as "more effort,"

Best to ask a teacher why they insist that answers be made in complete sentences, or why they tell you to show your work instead of just giving the answer.

Yttrbio wrote:
and I definitely don't see how demanding it increases the fun level (which was the point, I thought). "Fun" is also the same reason I typically put in unnecessary context, though, so meh.

Yes, well it certainly decreases the fun a bit for me when I put effort into finding and transcribing a quote, only to be given a half-assed answer in response.

I agree that it's not much extra effort... Which is exactly why it shouldn't be a problem to do it that way.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Best to ask a teacher why they insist that answers be made in complete sentences, or why they tell you to show your work instead of just giving the answer.
I was a teacher, and the answer to that question was certainly not "for fun!"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[This is by far the most iconic giant robot attack of them all.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
I think this is from spoiler[episode three of Shin Mazinger Z Shogeki! Z Hen!!. The hot-blooded narrator [A] (does he even have a proper name?) is getting all excited at seeing Kouji Kabuto [C] use the rocket punch for the first time. Juzo Kabuto [B] is also cheering the boy on.]

Sorry I couldn't answer in a manly way; I'm simply a sensitive snowflake who would surely melt from the use of such hot-blooded words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 101