• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Games you own twice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Some of us double dip for anime and manga, so I can't possibly be the only one who has certain games that I own more than once, usually on different systems. It could be nostalgia grabs, re-releases with more shiny extras, just it being on a different system, or a massive Steam sale and you forgot you had it already on you PSN or whatnot.

So what games do you guys own more than once? I'm going to say that the PSVita/PS3 cross buy doesn't count because it's been purposely set up that you get two versions of the game when you buy either.

Psychonauts-I own the PS2 version, I was one of the few who bought that game the first time around, then when I got a PS3, it was only $5 on the PSN. Honestly, the PS2 version isn't the most playable version at times, I haven't played much of my PSN duplicate, but I noticed the definite jump shadow, that to me indicates that it is not a direct PS2 port, and that's a good thing. For $5, it was to get a more playable version.

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile-here's a rare one that I own three times, the PS1 version, the Wiimake, and the PSN once again. It's because I adore the Klonoa games and will buy any repeats because I want to support it!

Pokemon (gens 2, 3, 4)-let's face it, Pokemon Gold and Silver are not significantly different enough to call them completely different games. I own Silver because my sister deleted my game with the shiny Snubull (grrr! I had my friend manufacture one in gen 4 using Masuda method for me to help heal the scar a little) without permission and then I just got them all for Gens 3 and 4. 5 was the first in a while that I hadn't. I'm waiting for an inevitable Z version, I always get the third version of any Pokemon game!

Monkey Island-old ancient computer disc, and the PSN once again. Because Monkey Island. We all love Monkey Island! And it's not like I can exactly play the disc version anymore. Shame the cover got all sun damaged, that annoys me greatly, poor thing.

God of War: PSP-I got the God of War PSP with that game, yet never beat that game, didn't even get the second one because frankly I barely touch my PSP and didn't know it existed. So I got the PSP GoW collection on PS3 when I got a PS3 to take care of the issue.

Persona 3-I own FES and PSP. PSP had the girl's story to be fair. I definitely consider the PSP the superior version, it's probably what I ended up using my PSP most for. I don't have P4 listed here because I don't have a Vita and don't really want one.

Tales of Symphonia-I don't have the PS3 version yet, but we both know I'm going to get it and I already have the gamecube version.

Zelda: Link's Awakening-I have the original and DX. Shocked I haven't gotten it again for the 3DS, honestly. I recently got the battery replaced in the original so I can play it like normal again. I don't really remember why I got DX, must've been cheap somewhere and I went "oh what the hell"

And that's what comes to mind for me, what multiple copies do you guys own and why?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Not many that are exactly the same game:
Dragon Age: I originally bought for the Ps3, but never any of the DLC or the expansion, when time came for Dragon Age II, I wanted to run through it all, and it was cheaper to get an all inclusive set for the xbox 360.

Diablo II Lord of Darkness: couldn't find my key, bought another, found my first key, wound up using both on my home network.

Halo & and the Halo 10th anniversary edition are the same game, you can even toggle the graphics back and forth.

White Knight Chronicles II came with the entire White Knight Chronicles I game again(although using the updated combat system).

Persona 3 FES and P3P were different enough to not be the same game to me, the P3P version uses a lot of stills instead of cg animation.

Persona 4 Golden is a pretty big expansion on Persona 4, but not a major change. I thought they did a good job of getting all the new content in (they basically give you an extra 45 days).
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Other than Pokemon (I have Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Leaf Green, Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver, White, and White2), these are the games I've double-dipped on:

Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis games - I'm not sure exactly which are doubled (or tripled) up, but I have 1-3, S&K, Spinball, 3D Blast (all Genesis) and Sonic CD (Sega CD) in both their original release, the Sega Genesis Collection (which has 2 or 3 of the games) for the PS2, and the Sonic Gems Collection (which has a bunch) for the PS2. There will be an amusing story about the Gems Collection at the end of this post.

Phantasy Star II-III - I own both II and III for Genesis, as well as I, II, and III for the GBA, and II, III, and IV for the PS2. So I've triple-dipped on the middle 2 games (still trying to get IV for the Genesis).

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - This one's a bit interesting. You see, I don't own a N64, but I bought the game to play on my mom's system. However, since it was her system, I let her play it... and she got a lot further than I did! So I told her she wasn't allowed to beat it before me. And she told me I couldn't use her system. So now she owns the disc versions for her GC, and I own the 3DS version, and we can each play our own game on our own system.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons - I've got both of these for the GBC/GBA, and I got Seasons for virtual console for pre-ordering Link Between Worlds. So I bought the Ages virtual console to go with it. Now to find my GBC games and GBA, though, so I can get the rings, beat the linked game, and get the Hero Code, so I can transfer everything to the VC games.

Tales of Symphonia - Another where I never owned the system, my mom did. Except this one wasn't finished because we do multi-player, and the multi-player camera sucks. Don't have a double-dip yet, but the PS3 collection is paid off already.

Kingdom Hearts games - In their original releases, I own Kingdom Hearts (PS2), Chain of Memories (GBA), Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), 358/2 Days (DS), Birth By Sleep (PSP), RE:Coded (DS), and Dream Drop Distance (3DS). I also have RE: Chain of Memories for the PS2, and the 1.5 Remix for the PS3 (KH1, RE:CoM, and 358/2 Days). As soon as it comes out, I'll also be getting the 2.5 Remix (KH2, BBS, and RE:Coded), so I'll have a total of 5 double-dips and 1 triple-dips.

Tales of the Abyss - One of my favorite games, even though I don't think there's even any changes, had to buy the 3DS version.

Devil Survivor/Devil Survivor Overclocked - Considering that this is my favorite SMT game, it was obvious I'd have to buy the 3DS version after already owning the DS version.

Eternal Sonata - Bought it for the 360, then had to get the PS3 version when I got that system, since I'd heard it was better.

Plants vs. Zombies - I bought it for the 360, then got the PC version free last year for Halloween.

I think that's all my double-dips?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden -- Had an original copy for Playstation back when it came out, but made the mistake of letting a friend borrow it, who later lost it. So I bought a digital copy off of PSN a while back. This and part II are my absolute favorite RPGs of all-time right above Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. I love Suikoden's simplistic gameplay, the mural-type character avatars, the masterful soundtracks, and very engrossing stories. It's a shame part III sucked so much from a design perspective that I never continued playing the rest. But I and II have infinite replay value as far as I'm concerned.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting you say that, when I feel that III had the best story and character development of the series (gameplay, not as much). You should try V, though.

Oh, does it count as double-dipping if I have both Suikoden II and Suikoden Card Stories, which covers the same game, but as a card game?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Bastion - Technically my brother owns this, not me, but I played it on his 360 when it first came out. I later got the PC version because of a Humble Bundle. I'm glad, since it's one of my all-time favorite games.

Borderlands 2 - my fiance has it for the 360, I've got it for the PC. Actually there's a bunch of other games we're going to have duplicates of when we get married in a few months...we should probably go through our collections and figure out what we can sell for dish money.

Various Sonic the Hedgehog games - I've got the Gamecube Sonic Mega Collection and ended up buying a whole pack of Sonic games while they were on sale on Steam last summer. I was sort of obsessed with Sonic as a kid (despite being a Nintendo kid, go figure) so the Sonic series has a lot of nostalgia for me.

Both Dragon Age games - Played both on my brother's 360 when he lived with my folks, and I rebought them once I had my gaming PC built. I'm super happy the Dragon Age Keep is happening since it means my first playthrough of Inquisition can be continuing my first playthrough in the first two games but still be on PC.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask - Had both on the N64 originally, later got the nifty GCN collector's edition. If Majora's Mask comes out for the 3DS I'm going to triple-dip, it's my favorite game in the series.

Riviera: The Promised Land - Own both the GBA and PSP versions (although I honestly don't know where the GBA cartridge is). I really loved the GBA version so getting the updated version with full voice acting (in both Japanese and English!) was a no-brainer.

Tales of Symphonia -
Another favorite of mine, the collection is already preordered and paid for. I'm making my fiance play it with me because he's never played it before. I'm preeeetty excited. Hopefully the multiplayer camera won't be TOO horrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Eternal Sonata - I completed it twice on the 360, as it is my favourite game, I bought it on the PS3 due to Crescendo and Serenade being playable characters but my PS3 died before I got chance to play as them. May have to grab a cheap PS3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
There are a few games that I have more than 1 version of.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I bought and played the PS1 version, but wound up somehow losing it, so I bought the PSP version to replace it.

Final Fantasy VII - Owned it on PS1, lent it to a friend that I haven't seen in ages, then rebought it on PSN on the PS3.

Other than those two, all the other games that I own more than one copy of are cases of owning both Japanese and US versions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
For me Mass Effect 2. I bought Mass Effect 2 on PS3 2 years back. Then last week I bought Mass Effect Trilogy which had Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 in it. So yeah I have 2 Mass Effect 2. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. I own the Monkey Island Madness CD-Rom that contains both games for Win 95. And I bought both in their HD Remastered Special Edition forms via Steam.

I also have two copies of Under a Killing Moon (Tex Murphy) on original CD release and digital GOG release that came in a Complete Tex Murphy bundle.

I own Mega Man 4, 5, & 6 on NES, and a have a copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection on PS2. Oh, and I bought Mega Man 1 & 2 on Wii Virtual Console. Some how I've never bought a second copy of Mega Man 3. Even though it is my favorite Mega Man game.

I'm sure there are others, especially where it comes to early/mid 90s Adventure Games and GOG sales (DRM-Free files already set up with DOS box... I'll pay again for that convenience!) But those are the ones I'm remembering at the moment.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I have Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES and then for the Wii. I don't even have a Wii though, the only reason I bought the Wii version is there was a soundtrack CD that came with the specific edition I wanted. While I haven't played the Wii version, I have made use of the CD.

Gears of War 2, in which I have regular edition, and then the limited edition. Being a Gears of War fanatic, I do have the EPIC edition of Gears of War 3, and for a while had the regular version of GOW3 that came with the GOW3 edition Xbox 360, but there was a good trade in value at the time, so I traded the regular one in.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, now I feel stupid! I just accidentally bought Dustforce's Vita version instead of PS3. I don't have a damn Vita, man! Maybe someday... At least it's on sale I guess, but I know I can't get a refund or anything. At least I didn't make this mistake with a $30 game, but a $7 one. Dammit.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Currently owned?

Final Fantasy VII - PS1, original PC release, and Steam download. The Steam download was only $4 and actually works on my 64-bit version of Windows 7 without problems. It's a struggle to get some older games work on modern computers. Sad

Final Fantasy VI - Anthology version and GBA version. I owned the SNES version once upon a time but I don't have a SNES anymore, so...

Chrono Trigger - FF Anthonlogy version and DS version.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 - The original PS2 versions and the PS3 HD version.

Neverwinter Nights - 2 copies of the original game and each expansion for multiplayer reasons.

I think that's it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
I've got quite a few, but not all were obtained on purpose. Let's see...

Final Fantasy VI - Anthology and Wii Virtual Console. Wanted to play the game but didn't feel like hooking up the PlayStation or pushing the NTSC U/C PS2 to read PS-games (he's kinda really old and already died two DRE-deaths; I'm not looking forward to a third), so Virtual Console it was.

Ocarina of Time - For the N64, of course, and the version on the Wind Waker bonus disc.

Tales of Symphonia - Wasn't planning on buying it, but I got a review code so now I have ToS on two systems.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Idem dito. Original copy was a review copy too, so I've never actually paid for it.

Lunar - I have two version of the Silver Star Story, the one for PlayStation and the remake for PSP. Would have bought the GBA version as well if I had had the chance. I love Lunar Very Happy

Persona - On PlayStation and PSP, for good reasons.

Vagrant Story - Got it for the original PlayStation first, but never played all the way through it because my memory card died. I lost not only my save, but also my motivation to finish it. Bought it again from the PSN Store (it was on sale and less than €2) in the hopes that I will someday regain my motivation.

Tales of the Abyss - One of my favourite games on the PS2, so I was really happy when I got to review the 3DS version. Okay, the thing was pretty much exactly the same aside from shorter loading times, but that it exactly was I expected it to be, so whatever. BTW reviewing a game you've already sunken 100+ hours into is weird when everyone else is super excited because it's one of the 'lost' Tales-titles. Oh well, it fit the plot.

Etrian Odyssey - I own both the original and Untold, does that count?

Atelier Escha & Logy - I have both my own copy and a digital copy from a review code. I knew I was going to review it for someone but I bought it anyway because I wanted to support the series.

Tales of Xillia - Same story as Escha & Logy.

Tales of Xillia 2 - Just like the first game, though I did order the fancy limited edition instead of the regular Day One edition this time.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
We've bought the PS3 remakes of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and the Ratchet and Clank series after owning the PS2 versions. We also own PS3 and PC versions of a few games like Dragon Age and FF XIV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2