• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monolith Soft & Xenoblade Staffers Show 1st Gameplay from New Wii U Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, this looks absolutely amazing. Xenoblade was hands down the best JRPG of its generation and this looks like an excellent pseudo-successor.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well it's a shame it's on the Wii U, hopefully when it comes out that console will have plummeted in value. I very much doubt this comes out this year.

Still, none of the footage shown so far has said for sure if it's a full single player game. I really don't want any Monster Hunter esque co-op in the game, if there is that would be a huge turn off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Xenoblade wasn't though. And it had essentially the same party structure. I mean, it's possible this could be co-op but until someone says so I would assume not.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of PSO2.... that needs to be released here
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Xenoblade wasn't though. And it had essentially the same party structure. I mean, it's possible this could be co-op but until someone says so I would assume not.
I know Xenoblade wasn't, thats why I don't want this one to be. No they haven't said it will be, they haven't said anything really. Still, all the footage has'nt exactly been "look at this awesome single player". It's been models that easily look like character custom models fighting big enemies with a hud featuring "Player 2,3,4".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I know Xenoblade wasn't, thats why I don't want this one to be. No they haven't said it will be, they haven't said anything really. Still, all the footage has'nt exactly been "look at this awesome single player". It's been models that easily look like character custom models fighting big enemies with a hud featuring "Player 2,3,4".

Yeah, same here, I want to it be single-player focused.

Either is still possible I guess, but hopefully them namedropping it playing like Xenoblade but improved means that it will be just as single-player focused. I think those character profile images look too detailed and premade to be that (they also look kind of drawn to me rather than CG from a character creator), so hopefully those Player numbers are just there so that they don't have to give away the names of the playable characters since we all know JRPGs (and anime) love to have announcements and trailers specifically to announce character profiles.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a mech game to get behind on! Surprised

It would be cool if it does support local co-op such that one player controls the character on the TV screen while the other controls his or her own character on the gamepad and thus getting rid for the need for splitscreens! I've also noticed the human characters have types similar from Shulk, Reyn, Sharla, and spoiler[human] Fiora.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Pretty sure that, as this is a Nintendo exclusive action game, it's going to have a heavy single player focus... Anyway, looks absolutely fantastic, can't wait!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Pretty sure that, as this is a Nintendo exclusive action game, it's going to have a heavy single player focus... Anyway, looks absolutely fantastic, can't wait!
What does that have to do with anything? Xenoblade at it's core is unlike Nintendo's typical fare. The WiiU can go online. MH Tri was decently played online on the Wii. The game can really go anyway it wants.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Given this is developed by Monolith Soft, a group that has almost exclusively given us single player experiences in the past I can't imagine the leap to full Co-op especially if the game really is slated for this year.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
You mean the same Monolith Soft that went from three games of super linear turn based cutscene heavy jrpgs to an extremely open world with fully scaled environments and a focus on exploration with MMO like combat and quest structure jrpg.

Yeah, I don't think anything is quite impossible.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Looks like WKC or FF 12 to me. When this and Persona x FE comes out I will probably get the Wii U.
bin1127

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
The footage looks pretty cool. Nintendo is really trying hard, especially from the guy trying to pronounce each english word correctly.

The non-mech battling seems like star ocean type system where everyone is just there doing their own thing and your 'party' only has one character to control. But the graphics is very nice and the mech transitioning should make for some interesting gameplay.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
Given this is developed by Monolith Soft, a group that has almost exclusively given us single player experiences in the past I can't imagine the leap to full Co-op especially if the game really is slated for this year.

yeah, even with Xenoblade's radical change in structure from their previous games it was still a single player experience. The thing is we can still only speculate about what the game actually is because we know so little about it. They still haven't gone very in depth about explaining what's really going on.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone translated any of the chatter during that battle. Maybe there could be hidden clues about the characters, setting, and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2