Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamen Rider War Film Lets Fans Vote on Ending




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5058
Location: Fresno, TX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on the issue. While Showa era is no doubt classic, Heisei era has Kuuga.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Saphiro01



Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Posts: 55
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm in North America and my vote did count (Classic Riders naturally because that includes my Rider Black). I'm not sure if they will scrub the voting based on region, but for now on the main page, North American fans can vote. It's two simple buttons as shown in the article. So far there are barely 6000 votes total (as of February the 8th) but I would imagine that will go up by quite a bit by March. I'm going to bookmark the front page for the movie and see how this goes.

I hope that Japan realizes there is a small but VERY loyal group of Rider fans here in the US. That and if I was able to ask I would want the other filmed ending as Value added material on a DVD/Blu release but I can't have it all or Kamen Rider would air legally in the US like Power Rangers Anime smile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 3975
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
I'm in North America and my vote did count (Classic Riders naturally because that includes my Rider Black). I'm not sure if they will scrub the voting based on region, but for now on the main page, North American fans can vote. It's two simple buttons as shown in the article. So far there are barely 6000 votes total (as of February the 8th) but I would imagine that will go up by quite a bit by March. I'm going to bookmark the front page for the movie and see how this goes.

I hope that Japan realizes there is a small but VERY loyal group of Rider fans here in the US. That and if I was able to ask I would want the other filmed ending as Value added material on a DVD/Blu release but I can't have it all or Kamen Rider would air legally in the US like Power Rangers Anime smile.


Yeah it suck that Japan doesn't recognize international fans for tokusatsu, I mean Japan is not taking their international fans seriously unlike South Korea where K-pop and K-dramas has gotten a huge audiences outside of Asia. I say this as a 7 year anime fan and I became a K-pop/Hallyu fan last year and as a long time anime fan, South Korea play this pop culture export game better then Japan.

I'm sorry Super Sentai/Kamen Rider (the same goes for J-dramas in huge #) aren't streamed in the US like Korean and Taiwanese dramas, I wish Japan can ride on this and give Tokusatsu the same global push.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5058
Location: Fresno, TX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Saphiro01 wrote:
I'm in North America and my vote did count (Classic Riders naturally because that includes my Rider Black). I'm not sure if they will scrub the voting based on region, but for now on the main page, North American fans can vote. It's two simple buttons as shown in the article. So far there are barely 6000 votes total (as of February the 8th) but I would imagine that will go up by quite a bit by March. I'm going to bookmark the front page for the movie and see how this goes.

I hope that Japan realizes there is a small but VERY loyal group of Rider fans here in the US. That and if I was able to ask I would want the other filmed ending as Value added material on a DVD/Blu release but I can't have it all or Kamen Rider would air legally in the US like Power Rangers Anime smile.


Yeah it suck that Japan doesn't recognize international fans for tokusatsu, I mean Japan is not taking their international fans seriously unlike South Korea where K-pop and K-dramas has gotten a huge audiences outside of Asia. I say this as a 7 year anime fan and I became a K-pop/Hallyu fan last year and as a long time anime fan, South Korea play this pop culture export game better then Japan.

I'm sorry Super Sentai/Kamen Rider (the same goes for J-dramas in huge #) aren't streamed in the US like Korean and Taiwanese dramas, I wish Japan can ride on this and give Tokusatsu the same global push.


Blame Power Rangers. The sentai fad of the 90's pretty much killed any chances of that stuff ever getting a serious release in the US. I really want someone to pick up Garo. That would be huge overseas, especially with an anime coming out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 3975
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Blame Power Rangers. The sentai fad of the 90's pretty much killed any chances of that stuff ever getting a serious release in the US. I really want someone to pick up Garo. That would be huge overseas, especially with an anime coming out.


I wouldn't blame Power Rangers since that show got dubbed and shown in Japan too (yeah I know it's weird, but then again Japan is full of weirdness). But I think I know why Super Sentai and Kamen Rider can't be subtitled and stream on sites like Hulu, Dramafever, and Viki and the same applied to J-drama according to Answerman.

Answerman articles wrote:


Michael asks:
In a previous column you mentioned that Japanese Dramas are hard to licence. I've actually been interested in watching Jdramas and have noticed that they are almost never available on streaming services like Crunchyroll, DramaFever, and Viki. On the other hand, those three services all have plenty of Korean dramas. What exactly makes Jdramas harder to licence than anime or Kdramas? Is there perceived to be no English language audience for them by Japanese licencors, or is there another issue that makes them difficult to licence? Do large networks like Fuji TV, NHK, and WOWOW even attempt to shop their hit dramas to foreign distributors?

Basically, the Japanese talent agencies make it impossible. They usually co-produce, or at least have some major controlling interest in every series their major star is in, and their standards for how that show is to be disseminated in a major market like America is unrealistic. They demand license fees that nobody could ever recoup, insist on ridiculous limitations on artwork and availability, and basically make life hell for all who might attempt to work with them. It's a non-starter.

Japanese talent agencies are also so spoiled for the level of control they have in Japan that they pretty much don't know how to play well in other markets. Agencies are used to writing marketing disguised as content DIRECTLY for publications, dictating how, when and which photos of their stars can be printed where. The agencies use the threat of withholding access to their stars to enforce these demands, and they get surprisingly little blowback. Some agencies also have yakuza ties, just in case someone was considering screwing with them.

In the case of TV dramas, the agency known as Johnny & Associates (Johnny's Jimusho) is thought by many to be one of the most difficult. Johnny's controls Japan's most popular boy bands and their members, from SMAP and Tokio to V6 and Hey! Say Jump!, and get those guys placed in pretty much all of the popular dramas. Johnny's requires approval on every step of the process, and have a reputation for being so difficult that many companies in Japan refuse to even attempt to work with them. To give some indication of how ridiculous they can get, Cyzo Magazine reported earlier this year that with SMAP's Takuya Kimura reprising his lead role for the Space Battleship Yamato live action sequel, the agency is demanding that all the space battles and CG be ditched in favor of human drama with lots of close-ups.

Every once in a while one of these agencies attempts to do something with an American media outlet, and is quickly taken aback and insulted when Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone either a) doesn't care about their pop star that doesn't speak English; and/or b) uses an image in a way they consider improper. And then they take their toys and go home.

Movies tend to be easier to license, as the contracts involved give the talent agencies less say over international deals. But for TV dramas? Forget it. Even if you could navigate those disgusting, fetid waters far enough to actually get to release something, the amount you'd have to pay to license it would surely bankrupt you, and the approvals process would probably prevent you from even getting a DVD out. Not worth the trouble, not worth the expense.


I understand your pain, it's not only Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Tokusatsu that are having hard time to be stream, but J-dramas too, only quite a few can be found on legal streaming sites. Would I like Dramafever and Crunchyroll to stream Super Sentai and Kamen Rider alongside K-dramas? Sure, I would love to see that but seeing how Japan is not playing fair, I guess we're not going to see Super Sentai and Kamen Rider in their subtitled uncut form anytime in the future. So I'm sorry. Crying or Very sadAnime cry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saphiro01



Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Posts: 55
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@mdo

Now that I think about it after having read the same said answerman article that is a very good point. There are a LOT of young J star actors and even some voice actor talent that end up rangers/heros/kamen riders. That and there are a ton of J-Pop songs that are in the background of a lot of episodes let alone intros and endings Anime cry.

Darn. I would rather enjoy a good intact fansub of the tv broadcast then have an official version subtitled but scrubbed of audio ala some anime releases like Kodocha and Zeta Gundam. But to be fair an official release is something I would support.

edit: Holy crap V3 got an official US region 1 release!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 3975
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
@mdo

Now that I think about it after having read the same said answerman article that is a very good point. There are a LOT of young J star actors and even some voice actor talent that end up rangers/heros/kamen riders. That and there are a ton of J-Pop songs that are in the background of a lot of episodes let alone intros and endings Anime cry.

Darn. I would rather enjoy a good intact fansub of the tv broadcast then have an official version subtitled but scrubbed of audio ala some anime releases like Kodocha and Zeta Gundam. But to be fair an official release is something I would support.

edit: Holy crap V3 got an official US region 1 release!


Yeah it stinks that Japan could've ride on the drama fad that K-drama caused by putting Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, J-dramas, and etc on legal streaming sites like Dramafever, Crunchyroll, and Hulu but no Japan didn't cash in on it. At least Taiwan and their dramas cashed in on the fad K-dramas caused. I can find quite a few J-dramas on Dramafever, Viki, and Crunchyroll which sadden me. I mean it's like Japan is not putting any effort to cash in/ride on on the Asian drama fad. Japan could've allowed Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and other tokusatsu on legal streaming sites alongside Asian dramas, but Japan seem to not to take this seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
medama_oyaji



Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
I voted Showa! Any news on this legal tokusatsu streaming site?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 3975
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
I voted Showa! Any news on this legal tokusatsu streaming site?


If you didn't read one of my post on that article, it's not going to make it sadly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
medama_oyaji



Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Oh, you're right! Sorry, I should have dug a little deeper and the answer would have been right there Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 3975
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
Oh, you're right! Sorry, I should have dug a little deeper and the answer would have been right there Embarassed




Well sadly, I don't think we'll ever see those tokusatsu show on legal streaming sites unless Japanese entertainment industry realized they're falling behind on a international level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewizardninja



Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Come on, let's face it - there's no way any of the Heisei Riders besides Kuuga would be able to take out any of the Showa Riders. I know where my vote's going.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levitz9



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 652
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
This probably won't end well. Fan-decided votes tend to end in disaster.

I don't care about Showa or Heisei winning, I just want a cool story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessa
Baka RangerBaka Ranger


Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 2240

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
I voted Heisei (sorry, W is my favorite), but I suspect that this will play out in the Net Movies, and that the actual film will have them joining together to beat the actual villain. Because heroes fighting each other always ends up that way in toku (unless Decade is involved... but we won't go there).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group