• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I watched both seasons of Galaxy Railways, and while I was glad the first season was licensed and released, I'm also equally glad the second season wasn't; it was terrible. Not quite Ozma-level terrible, but still... eugh!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
Kodocha second half is not worth watching, but I still wanted it in my collection anyways. Twisted Evil

Think Kodocha suffered the same fate as a few other shows:
Funi had bought it believing they were going to hitch the cart to the horse and drive the dub on into a cable-broadcast deal (hence the JP-free OP credits), the deal never happened, and they shot the horse...Who needs another ungrateful mouth to feed on disk?

Most series that never have a hope of getting on the air, the companies only look as far as sub-dub box sets, and they naturally assume completism.
But after the cable networks says no, the company thinks "What goalposts are we in it for anymore? Sad " and just can't look at the title the same way again...That's one reason why Funi fell out of love with Sgt. Frog so quickly and resentfully.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Here's another one that got missed - The Story of Saiunkoku! I have a friend who was gaga over that one and was seriously miffed it never got finished up. I liked the show as well (but not quite to the extent they did) and at this point I'd take the rest of it un-dubbed just to get to see it or even just streamed Sad .

Also, someone mentioned Mermaid Melody (Pitchi Pihci Pitch was the rest of that ones name IIRC). That's one I wasn't familer with other than from people online waiting in vain back int he day for it to come out (and it never did). I seem to remember reading that ADV actually completed the dub on that one and it aired some place in Asia. I don't think whatever happened to that one was part of the ARM/Sojitz debacle (it went AWOL before then if I remember right). That's another one that would hopefully get picked up someday by someone. As for Case Closed, I've pretty much given up seeing the rest of it, which I find a shame Sad .

Eric12 - I believe the lack of JP credit music on Kodocha had more to do with it being a Johnny's show when it came to the music. Funimation even had to cut music used in-show because of that issue. [Johnny's is a nick name for Johnny & Associates - a very powerful music music company in Japan that is said to pretty much refuse to allow the things they have control of to be licensed outside of Japan; or at least to North America; or at least throws up enough road blocks to cause a lot of problems for everyone in the general world entertainment industry to try to steer clear of them if they can. Not sure what is really going on with them other than I do believe there is a legit problem and it extends way outside of anime music licensing being the sole issue (and it's more than just asking way too much money, as well). ]

Last edited by MeggieMay on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThisGuy010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice article it was a good read.
When Bandai decide to quit putting out there releases a nice few series got brought to a hault. I would love for all of Star Driver to come out on blu-ray.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The thing that irks me with a certain unfinished anime, Sgt. Frog, is that it could've been very successful in North America. ADV was in strong talks with Nickelodeon with airing the show and selling merchandise, then they kicked the bucket and FUNi decided not to give a shit what Nick wanted and make the dub Shin Chan lite instead.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
^ I think it was a case of Nick simply no longer being interested after ADV's financial troubles. You never know. While I doubt regular Nick will be interested in Sgt. Frog, I could see Nicktoons maybe being interested. Also while Sgt. Frog's dub has similarities to Shin Chan's, it's considerably tamer (enough for a TV-PG rating), made no visual alterations (other than the usual opening/ending text), and the DVDs are bilingual.

Apparently Season 2 of D.Gray Man is expensive. That's the official reason I've heard why FUNi didn't get it, at least at the time.

Cyborg 009 is similar to Monster in that it has a completed dub, but no complete DVD release (only the first 8 episodes are out on Region 1 DVD). I think it got a complete release in Australia though. I have fond memories watching that show on Cartoon Network when I was younger.

Mermaid Melody was licensed and fully dubbed by ADV so it could be conveniently aired on TV, but when it failed to find a buyer, I think the Japanese yanked the license. All that exists of this dub is a sales pitch trailer, which gives us a preview of Brittany Karbowski and Luci Christian's performances, and footage of one of their song recording sessions (apparently the songs were dubbed too). Chris Ayres was the ADR director. This was back when ADV was trying to get into mainstream anime licensing ALA 4Kids. Unfortunately that didn't really go anywhere. Mermaid Melody never found a network, Sgt. Frog went to FUNimation, and Super Milk Chan was shown rather quietly on [adult swim].
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ThisGuy010 wrote:
When Bandai decide to quit putting out there releases a nice few series got brought to a hault. I would love for all of Star Driver to come out on blu-ray.

Star Driver was fully released on BD. Unless you mean how the movie is unlicensed.
r_strata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
My second series was Sailor Moon. Later got hooked on Lupin III, Saint Seiya, and Detective Conan.

I stopped collecting and watching anime for a long time after those series weren't completed.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
Kodocha second half is not worth watching, but I still wanted it in my collection anyways. Twisted Evil

Think Kodocha suffered the same fate as a few other shows:
Funi had bought it believing they were going to hitch the cart to the horse and drive the dub on into a cable-broadcast deal (hence the JP-free OP credits), the deal never happened, and they shot the horse...Who needs another ungrateful mouth to feed on disk?

Thing is, they must have given up on the TV deal very early on. Like before the DVDs ever made it out the door. The first three episodes of Kodocha's dub were clearly intended to air on TV, or at least get shopped around to the networks. Compared to the rest of the dub, they're sanitized (e.g., Sana calls Rei her boyfriend rather than her pimp; Akito is a "monster" instead of a "devil") and they have a completely different writing team. Then, from episode 4 onwards, "pimp" and "devil" are back in, and John Burgmeier handles all the scripts. There was an obvious gap in production, but episodes 1 through 4 all premiered together on the first DVD.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
When reading this article the first series that popped in my mind was Hikaru no Go! but the first poster already caught that. I have also posted on Funimation's board hoping to see a release of Kiddy Girl-and (the sequel to Kiddy Grade) but that doesn't seem like it will ever happen.

Finishing shows are not the only concerns I have. There is also the re-release of older Anime titles that are nearly impossible to find on DVD now, especially those that came out on VHS/DVD. I've written to a couple companies on the re-release of Pokemon Johto (yes, I like Pokemon) which released on both VHS and DVD when VHS was still the popular choice. While the original series re-released in boxsets the Johto episodes have not.

In the meantime, I have become a big fan of Crunchyroll.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
This has been an issue with many fans. I have a friend that complains on a regular basis that the final volume of Blood+'s singles wasn't released (volume 5, I think). Sony switched to a boxset format and abandoned the plans to release the final single volume. The first boxset included the contents for volume 5, so those collecting singles had to pay for the 1st boxset for the few episodes that were only available in boxset and not in any R1 single release.

I've been lucky that all of the anime I have purchased as singles finished releasing, and the only close call I've had was Fate/Stay Night's volume 6, at the end of Geneon's term.

I honestly have issues with anime being released here with no intention of the source content being complete, completely not the R1 distributors fault (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Negima, XXXholic, Silent Mobius, Love Hina and many more). Now if only someone would license Zero no Tsukaima's seasons 2-3, Free!, Hunter x Hunter OVAs, Negima OVAs, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movies, and Nanoha StrikerS...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Eric12 - I believe the lack of JP credit music on Kodocha had more to do with it being a Johnny's show when it came to the music.

No, I KNOW about the lack of Seven O'Clock News, I was referring to the "clean" lack of kanji on the OP credits for the dubbed episodes, as usually happens for series that are pitched to non-disk watchers.
Would've been nice, too; it's just too bad there's only one network that even looks at broadcast anime, and the potheads there won't even crack open a window to look at kid's titles or mainstream comedies.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
.... the second season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni remains unlicensed to this day with little hope of it happening. This is especially noteworthy because the second season is where all the crazy, screwed-up events of the first season are finally explained and resolved.

Of all the shows they didn't finish in NA, this would have to be the top on my list as well. Really surprised the article didn't mention it even once.

The series just isn't complete with out this second half, and to me may have been the failing of the first season, as no one wanted to buy a series that would never be explained for having such violence. Off the first season alone, it's just a series of short stories with gratuitous violence and that's it. Through word of mouth more people found out that the series gets an explanation in the second season, but by then it was too late as far as licensing and companies were concerned. So a lot of people are still left with the many questions of the first season: "Why?"

Unless seen through other means, it seems many will never know.

Mune wrote:
.... Nanoha StrikerS...

Would have also made my list since the other two seasons were finished. Granted StrikerS is as long as both the first two seasons combined.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to correct something about Case Closed 7 of the 130 episodes were taken out of Longer episodes notable examples are episodes 11 and 96 by the japanese run ep 11 was an hour long special and 96 was I think a 2 and a half hour special so by the count Case Closed only got to episode 123 about 8 ep shy of finishing the fifth season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Bright Starsong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ThisGuy010 wrote:
Nice article it was a good read.
When Bandai decide to quit putting out there releases a nice few series got brought to a hault.

Turn A Gundam was aborted. North America was so close to getting it. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9