• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
@gilnokoibito: Magical girl stuff...
Yeah, I get what you mean, funny thing though, a legit DVD set for the (4kids) dub TMM/MMP (26 eps) did make its way into South Africa for some reason.

@PurpleWarrior:Very high hopes...
Same here, I know its been a decade+ since the Sub and almost 9 years since the dub aired. But it would be nice if the Anime version of TMM did get a re-release and a re-dub, but chances for that are real slim, I mean, at least there's the Omnibus Manga's to hold off for the time being.

And yeah, I guess no one bothered to even license out Shugo Chara, but hey, at least Crunchy has it available for the time being.

And I think we've already got plenty of answers regarding the Mermaid Melody thing, so yeah.

Lastly, shame about Cromartie for the Manga version canned partways because ADV went under, good series though in both ways, but a show to be not taken seriously, even though its a comedy. Anime dazed

Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Ren-Ren#1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
WHAAAA?!! I hadn't noticed that Viz took down the stream of Full Moon! Too bad... Well, at least I still have my fansub CDs packed away somewhere if i get the urge to rewatch it (and, yes, I purchased Viz's DVD releases as they came out too).

More than with Full Moon, I was super sad that Hikaru no Go was never fully released on DVD. That's my absolute favorite show ever and I rewatch it every few years. Luckily, Viz hasn't taken down that stream yet...I'll cry if they do. I would buy the second half on iTunes, but it looks like only the dub is available. Knowing that the stream could disappear, I might actually buy it anyway, just to be safe.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Guess I would count as one of the rabid Conan fans hoping it comes back to the US. I can see it being successful on something like Crunchyroll or huge subtitled only box sets, perhaps using the AnimeSols business model. That way the rabid fans can put their money where their mouth is.

I know I would be first in line.

However, without a drastic change in business model, it's hard to honestly believe it can come back.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Eric12 - I believe the lack of JP credit music on Kodocha had more to do with it being a Johnny's show when it came to the music. Funimation even had to cut music used in-show because of that issue. [Johnny's is a nick name for Johnny & Associates - a very powerful music music company in Japan that is said to pretty much refuse to allow the things they have control of to be licensed outside of Japan; or at least to North America; or at least throws up enough road blocks to cause a lot of problems for everyone in the general world entertainment industry to try to steer clear of them if they can. Not sure what is really going on with them other than I do believe there is a legit problem and it extends way outside of anime music licensing being the sole issue (and it's more than just asking way too much money, as well). ]

It's true, Sentai also had issues with them as well since their release of The Skull Man had the opening replaced by a trailer due to the song being performed by one of their bands (in fact, it was the same band involved with Kodocha). The same happened with FUNi's release of One Piece where for season 4, Ending 14 (episodes 207-230) was replaced because the song was also by a Johnny's band and the shocking thing about that one is that they somehow got to use Opening 8 (episodes 284-325) from that same band for season 5 so FUNi had to have paid a ton for that. Speaking of paying a ton, Discotek's release of Lovely Complex has all of the Opening & Ending themes which is still shocking because those songs were performed by not one but two Johnny's bands. Shocked

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
It has been months since Funimation released Aquarion EVOL part 1 and we've still no word of Part 2.

Will we be seeing Aquarion Evol in a future article like this?
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, who do you suppose bought the last couple of volumes of Sohryuden from U.S. Manga Corps?! It wasn't me, that's for sure.

More than you'd think, actually. They still beat the majority of the more disastrous releases from Geneon and ADV, from what I remember.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Nanto wrote:

I do buy US DVDs...there are quite a few series (Captain Harlock, Famous Detective Holmes, Dunbine and many others) that I'm delighted to own on R1 DVD. But there are also many others (His & Her Circumstances and the Studio Ghibli catalog come to mind) where the "official" DVD releases feature subtitles that are vastly inferior to the fan subtitled versions. I'd love to give those companies my money if they just did a better job.

Maybe should read this: "What are the technical differences between creating subtitles for DVDs and Blu-ry Discs? And were HD-DVDs any better or worse?"

Anyways, an economics concept that some people may be missing is opportunity cost - the value of the best alternative forgone, in a situation in which a choice needs to be made between several mutually exclusive alternatives given limited resources. E.g. it's not that a company can't put resources on something, but it's that there's something else they can put that limited resources on, that would yield better return of investment. Sure they can put resources on finish releasing your favorite series, but what if they can instead put those limited resources to work on a new series that would get them more money, particularly when time is of the essence (such as releasing something while it's still hot - further delay start losing sales). Just something to consider.
Preacherofdoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
how do you write an article about this subject and not mention Toriko? it's the biggest anime to recently only be partially released. funimation put out about 50 episodes in 4 sets the last of which was almost a year ago. the show has maintained good ratings in the top ten in japan and continues way past where the 4th set leaves off.

most of the animes mentioned only have a niche following while toriko is pretty popular. talk about "dropping the ball" on your own article.

Last edited by Preacherofdoom on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol: I had the impression the complaint was about the quality of the translation rather than the technical quality of the letters on the screen, but I could be wrong.

As for spending money to release something while it's hot, that doesn't seem to be in the calculations of Viz at least, which sat on Monster for 2 years after they acquired it, and the series had been over in Japan for almost 2 years before that.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
When it comes to unfinished anime released in the US, The Red Jacket Lupin series always pops up in my head cause only 79 out of 155 episodes were released in the US. Had Geneon not lost the rights to the series we might of seen at least a Volume 16 DVD, but even if they did continue releasing the DVDs there probably would of been a halt after the company went under in 2007. So either way the English dub of the entire Red Jacket series became incomplete. Which was a shame cause I did enjoyed the English dub with all of the inserted pop culture jokes. Only time will tell if there will be a re-license on that series to at least see both the dub episodes and the non-dub episodes get released on a couple DVD box sets.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
When it comes to unfinished anime released in the US, The Red Jacket Lupin series always pops up in my head cause only 79 out of 155 episodes were released in the US. Had Geneon not lost the rights to the series we might of seen at least a Volume 16 DVD, but even if they did continue releasing the DVDs there probably would of been a halt after the company went under in 2007. So either way the English dub of the entire Red Jacket series became incomplete. Which was a shame cause I did enjoyed the English dub with all of the inserted pop culture jokes.

Shocked

Uh, okay, how about the script's "Freakin' crap!" case of Tourette's Syndrome?
(A medical condition where shouting obscenities is not only frequent, but unexplained...)

Quote:
Only time will tell if there will be a re-license on that series to at least see both the dub episodes and the non-dub episodes get released on a couple DVD box sets.

Of course, that's more of a chicken-and-egg situation, where we'll never know where the true fault was.:
The dub on Geneon's Lupin--specially made for CN broadcast deal--was ALMOST as obnoxious as Sgt. Frog's (and for the same reasons), but it tanked in the ratings, and those a little too paranoid of pre-90's animation said "Guess they thought it was too old! Sad "
The Geneon disks continued up through Vol. 15, past the TV series run, but how much longer would it have run without an obnoxious condescending, slot-sabotaged Adult Swim deal to pay the bills?
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Uh, okay, how about the script's "Freakin' crap!" case of Tourette's Syndrome?
(A medical condition where shouting obscenities is not only frequent, but unexplained...)
You have to be in the right mood to laugh at the episode where Lupin expresses his inconvenient trip to Disneyland.

Quote:

Of course, that's more of a chicken-and-egg situation, where we'll never know where the true fault was.:
The dub on Geneon's Lupin--specially made for CN broadcast deal--was ALMOST as obnoxious as Sgt. Frog's (and for the same reasons), but it tanked in the ratings, and those a little too paranoid of pre-90's animation said "Guess they thought it was too old! Sad "
The Geneon disks continued up through Vol. 15, past the TV series run, but how much longer would it have run without an obnoxious condescending, slot-sabotaged Adult Swim deal to pay the bills?
If you hate the English dub for the Red Jacket Lupin & Sgt. Frog then you must also hate the English Shin-Chan. Plus if Fist of the North can get released on four DVD box sets despite only having several episodes dub in English, then there is a chance that Discotek might release the Red Jacket series in that same type of release. But until the series is officially re-license I'll purchase whatever Lupin titles Discotek has recently obtained.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

If you hate the English dub for the Red Jacket Lupin & Sgt. Frog then you must also hate the English Shin-Chan.

Wellll, now that you bring it up... Rolling Eyes
Wanna throw Ghost Stories in there too?
chibmomo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
The problem I feel comes down to money and of course sales of said dvd/ product. And this isn't just anime in general but with manga as well. A lot of manga have been dropped or put on the back burner because the company gets hold of a more popular series that will bring in more money.

It can also be said that downloading could also be a reason that certain series are dropped due to low sales. Considering that many times fans do not want to wait for the next DVD to come out or are short on cash, which is understandable. I myself watch anime and read manga online. But that is only to make sure I want to invest in that series before shelling out the money.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Cool article. I HATE it when that happens to a series I like. I was one of the many people who waited years for Sailor Moon Stars.

Viz Media and 4Kids were some of the biggest offenders, though.

Viz Media only released like a quarter of Prince of Tennis and MAR on DVD, and they never finished Hikaru no Go's DVD run, despite the whole series (except maybe the TV special) being dubbed.

They also never finished releasing Blue Dragon on DVD, and they really screwed over Mega Man fans: They only dubbed the first two out of five seasons for Mega Man NT Warrior (and only the first season got a DVD release), and they dubbed only half of the first season for Mega Man Star Force (with no DVD release).

Don't forget Zatch Bell!

With 4Kids...where do I start? Yu-Gi-Oh! GX? Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's? Tokyo Mew Mew? Tai Chi Chasers? Magical DoReMi?

Understatement of the year.

and cause of the horror that was 4kids, none of these series will ever get a proper english dub like one piece.

But what Viz Media did ( hack them to make them kid friendly ) to Eyeshield 21,Blue Dragon, Prince of Tennis , MAR , and especially Gash Bell was GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL! You cant be surprised they drop them in a hurry cause those abomination releases nearly ruined their reputation towards the otaku community and nearly became this close to being compared to 4kids.

Also the writer forgot about Maccross.

ADV also released uncut english dubs for that series.

hell they even went so far and hire the japaneese VA for Lin Minmay to voice the english dub.

how that series was never completed is beyond me, but i have a nasty feeling that harmony gold (who rewrited the series as robotech) have something to do with it which is why even to this day macross frontier haven't been licensed in the US.

and it was the same time they (ADV) did the uncut saint seiya releases. Dont know what was it that made it a bust, but the newer series definitely should have gotten releases. But releasing only english sub version of sailor moon season1 and 2 was insane on ADV's part.

and speaking of which, its high time that series get a US license. especially the sailor stars series since THIS IS NO LONGER THE FREAKING 90'S!! its the 21st centry for christ sakes and the content from the stars series is not gonna cause some mega controversy that will ruin the franchise's reputation. especially now that the whole manga series is out.

and no one should NOT be that surprised that detective conan didn't do well in the US. all of those americanized editing as well renaming the series doomed the series from the start. However cutting bait with Kodocha is have to be the biggest head scratcher that Funimation did ever. that is until they decided not to get season 2 of Hell Girl as well as Shuffle Memories.

Also the writer also forgot about Card Captor Sakura. that series got the short end of the stick by getting licensed by Nelvana who is JUST AS BAD & TO THIS DAY HAVE BECOME EVEN WORSE THAN 4KIDS!!!

Though Pioneer/Geneon did a sub only release , and let bang zoom do the movies (thank god) that is still no excuse for a very popular and well known series like that to still to this day have no US license and given a proper english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9