• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter Meets Goal in Less Than a Day

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
This overwhelming response from fans is what make wonder why companies have not tried to fund dubs through Kickstarter. To me NIS America deciding to dub Toradora! would be a compelling idea. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but I am guessing $175,000 could be enough to dub 25 episodes.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
WHAT????? ARE YOU SERIOUS????? WOW!!!

That is amazing. Way to go. And look they pushed for a dub. And folks didn't think that was going to happen. Like I said in my last post, if a dub is wanted fans will PAY. The days of all that "purist" crap is OVER. It's time to get anime back to the days of the 90's, before the boom. The dub is what sells it now, not the sub.

I'm going to contact them at some point to get an idea of how many extra copies they're expected to distribute through retailers. I definitely want to get a copy for myself and my job needs one as well. Students need to see this.

It's been almost 4 years since this screened at NYICFF 2010 and I never would have expected this to get a release. I'm so happy.

Now if we can get the The Tibetan dog or that story about the "piano" in the woods feature (the one with the 2 boys that was released in Japan some years prior) a release. I want to see more titles like get a chance for a release to fans. If Kickstarter can guarantee a release I say, use it to the fullest.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy that Anime Limited and this release is getting the support they deserve. Pledged 130$ myself, and I can't wait to get the finished product, which will most likely be gorgeous Very Happy! Here's to hoping the dub won't push back the release date (since this kickstarter is very likely to reach $60K) because that'd be a bummer. Especially with Anime Limited saying that they could have promt, high quality releases out in a very short timeframe (as short as 3 months after the initial Japanese release Shocked!) as long as they remained subbed only.

angelmcazares wrote:
This overwhelming response from fans is what make wonder why companies have not tried to fund dubs through Kickstarter. To me NIS America deciding to dub Toradora! would be a compelling idea. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but I am guessing $175,000 could be enough to dub 25 episodes.

This would be rather interesting, as one of the two main reasons I dislike dubs is because they add an additional fee for customers (unless you're Sentai Filmworks and still charge 59.99$ regardless if it's dubbed or not Rolling Eyes ). I could guess that it's only a matter of time before someone decides to try this, and while I would not pledge for it, I would be happy for the company that decides to try it!

@Chrno2,
Quote:
The dub is what sells it now, not the sub.

I'm not too sure AoA & NISA would agree Wink .

As for the story about the piano in the woods I take it you mean "Piano no Mori". While i've only read the manga I remember it as a dramatic & well written story. I wonder how well it would fair with most anime buyers though.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh my that didn't take long I think it would make it dub goal in no time
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Mai Mai Miracle is about 3 TV episodes long in length so the additional $30,000 works out to $10,000 per ep, which has been confirmed as the nominal dub cost. That would mean $250,000 for Toradora. On the low end, Justin had previously mentioned it could be as low as $7,500 non-union, which would be $187,500.

You also need to factor in the additional costs of the rewards themselves if it's something extra you need to create. For example, the reward tier for the Mai Mai Miracle Artbook alone is $75.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
It's time to get anime back to the days of the 90's, before the boom. The dub is what sells it now, not the sub.

Dude, relax. First off, there are at least 2 American companies that will disagree with you on that.
Second, save the "dub is what sells" talk for if the goal is actually reached (60.000$).

Funded in one day?
I guess it was a........ miracle.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Last edited by DmonHiro on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I want to say I read a story about a Japanese company pulling the rights from a show because crowdfunding was involved. Assuming that's reality, it seems there are some Japanese companies that would rather make $0 off of their properties than have to say that they made money but some of it was related to crowdfunding. Over time I have to imagine that the desire of a company to put money it its pocket will trump nonsense like that, but that day has yet to arrive in Japan.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
As for the story about the piano in the woods I take it you mean "Piano no Mori". While i've only read the manga I remember it as a dramatic & well written story. I wonder how well it would fair with most anime buyers though.

Piano no Mori is a great for-the-family film. It doesn't hit nearly as hard as Mai Mai Miracle but it probably bats way better on average.

I get the feeling any kids feature anime films that doesn't have a "ghibli" tag will sell poorly because there just isn't an established base of hardcore buyers that would justify taking the kind of risk necessary, and then on the flip side if you go big, it's way too competitive and way too expensive. I do hope the likes of AtA and Gkids prove me wrong though.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope they manage to fund a dub as this is a movie I'd really like to watch with my son.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I pledged $130 to get the movie and the artbook. Although I generally don't watch dubs, an English dub is worth having and odds look good for making the $60k level. I hope to see additional content (a subtitled commentary from the director, for example) and a soundtrack would be great.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
On the odd chance they're looking for suggestions for stretch goals, there are still a handful of us out there who love it when soundtrack CDs are included with movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, at this point, they should just get the money to finish Satoshi Kon's last movie via Kickstarter...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Honestly, at this point, they should just get the money to finish Satoshi Kon's last movie via Kickstarter...

I don't think money is the problem there. There might be legal problems.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
DKL wrote:

There was an interview with Madhouse producer in which he said that the issue with creating that last Satoshi Kon movie is that he is irreplaceable,without him they really couldn't produce the same results.
You can read that interview here http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Anime-Real-vs-Dream-InDepth-Review-5316.aspx .
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
DKL wrote:

There was an interview with Madhouse producer in which he said that the issue with creating that last Satoshi Kon movie is that he is irreplaceable,without him they really couldn't produce the same results.
You can read that interview here http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Anime-Real-vs-Dream-InDepth-Review-5316.aspx .

That sounds like bs from Madhouse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3