• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Collet-Serra Hopes Live-Action Akira Will Be His Next Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Why cant they just kill this all ready its all ready going to suck
Lann

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
God I love reposting this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
S127

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Either get Alex Proyas to have some semblance of a chance to be decent or get any a******, get it done, watch it fail and then I can stop reading these crappy articles about it.
blindworm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
looking at his credits, he's not bad. not many things but they were rather well received; except his earlier work. though judging from his movies it will likely have liam neeson...why does that sound kinda awesome?

still, "never make strong characters". what a way to piss off fans on the internet. they make interesting characters, flawed characters, psychological characters AND weak characters. it's a verity of characters

i want a live action akira to be made, just so it can be done and over with. attention towards the animated movie and original manga will rise and the world will be better for it. and it will be done with the development hell it's been in for around 20 years
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Why can't they just kill this all ready its all ready going to suck
Why is it going to suck?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the concept art that has been posted, I still don't understand why they were going to change Tetsuo's name to Travis but keep Kaneda called Kaneda.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
What a complete prick for saying that tripe. As angryasianman would say, "That's racist!"

What was WB thinking in hiring this hack after hearing him making that statement? This is a bad PR move!

I am sure many anime/manga fans strongly disagree with him on that horrid "That's a part of Japanese culture, they never have strong characters" quote and yeah, brilliant idea saying that to get fan support and that's definitely going to go well with the creators from Japan.

I mean seriously, it sounds like that this prick just doesn't get anime/manga and really hasn't done any good research to convince me that he's right for this job and judging by how WB wants to slash the budget and the changes that is only making it an "In Name Only" adaptation, this will never end well.

Once again, why can't this project just die already?!
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
No one here knows what hyperbole is? It's laughable that everyone is jumping all over him in some misguided sense of discrimination over something so obviously not meant to be taken literally. Grow up. Does he honestly believe Japanese stories "never have strong characters"? Odds are, no.

To be honest, I tend to agree with him. I've always seen anime as a story-centric media where the characters are kept intentionally bland so as to act as the viewers vehicle into the story. Is this universal? Of course not, but it is very prevalent it the storytelling in manga and anime.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
No one here knows what hyperbole is? It's laughable that everyone is jumping all over him in some misguided sense of discrimination over something so obviously not meant to be taken literally. Grow up. Does he honestly believe Japanese stories "never have strong characters"? Odds are, no.

To be honest, I tend to agree with him. I've always seen anime as a story-centric media where the characters are kept intentionally bland so as to act as the viewers vehicle into the story. Is this universal? Of course not, but it is very prevalent it the storytelling in manga and anime.

He stated that the characters of Akira are not strong characters they are just there to exist to spout philosophy. He isnt talking about in general, he stated that Kaneda is not really the protagonist which is obvious BS.

If he has so little respect for the source material than this is very bad news for the Akira movie.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Can't we just be semi-happy with Chronicle?

seriously! such a great movie and the akira references were very cool. goes to show that even with a small budget, you can make a great movie with a reasonably large scope. it would be amazing if they even got the same director as chronicle to work on akira!
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

Regarding Akira, I agree with your perspective. I recently finished reading the manga and there wasn't all that much character development. After having watched the anime, I was hoping to learn more about the characters and fill some of the holes but that didn't happen. Most of the characters are fairly one dimensional. Most of the emphasis is put on the story and moving from one set piece to the next. It is very bombastic in its approach. Despite the fact the characters are not well developed, they are certainly really memorable which is a strange thing to say. By making their motives simple and easy to understand, it allows us as the audience to root for them and grow attached in a way. Akira is a rare example where the ideas, events and sheer scope of it all is enough to carry the story on its own.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Quote:
That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters.

Wow way to sound about as insulting as possible! I know a lot of anime characters are done in broad strokes but did you have to say Japanese characters are never strong?
Omfg lol. I can list so many strong characters. Goku, Alucard, the dude from Kaze no Stigma is pretty OP the entire series....Mentally strong is even easier. This guy clearly has no idea wtf he's talking about....and his movies all have sucked so far so I don't think I want him touching it.

Well compared to comic book characters, anime and manga characters are ants in comparison in terms of "power".
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It seems he meant strong as in very interesting protagonists.

Oh, thanks Sherlock. I'm sure no one would have figured that out without your wisdom. Hopefully it'll have at least as good and engaging characters as House of Wax, the masterpiece, which has been compared to Dostoyevski's novels!
nynextew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Why is it going to suck?

I can only assume this is based on Serra's track record. None of his movies have been stupendous....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Why is it going to suck?

I can only assume this is based on Serra's track record. None of his movies have been stupendous....

Non-Stop might scrape by with Liam Neeson's presence, but I'm more worried about creating the world of AKIRA on what's likely to be a meager budget. More than likely, you'll just wind up with a dull action film like the Total Recall remake: no buzz, no lasting presence, and whole lot of "why was this even made?"

Then again, the director is only hoping, wasn't this project stalled out because they wanted an even lower budget? Even these unwanted Verhoeven remakes still get over $100m, and I believe Dredd 3D's success was owed to the filmmakers realizing their money limits and focusing on the small scale in an intelligent fashion, whereas AKIRA is a city-wide romp with fantastic (expensive) sequences.

Anyway, the worst part about remakes isn't that they're made, but as Brad Jones alludes to, you now have to start referring to the original one as "The Original".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3