• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Alley to Offer Free On-Demand Streaming Starting in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cambria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the Funimation channel, so dubbed and a linear format was not so bad. But then again, I just DVR'd everything, so that does not count as much.
With as few subscribers as Neon Alley had, I'm sure there will be even less now with everything going through Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
flackenstien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So it's not going to be a 24/7 channel anymore?
Bleh.. there goes the tiny bit of interest I had in it.

I might aswell get it though, since it'll be free now.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
been happy with NA since day 1. glad to see they can expand to this. though, the on-demand availability will still vary from show to show

Same here, been happy with it ever since it started.
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Took 'em long enough.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Kinda have mixed emotions on this. On one hand, Im happy to see them expand, which is cool for them. But I've been using Neon alley on my PS3, and that app wont be used anymore.

I don't have Hulu Plus, so I'll basically stop paying for one service only to pay for another. On one hand, making it free doesnt mean much for me if Im paying for something else. On the other, one of the reasons I did get hulu plus is because of all the other monthly services I've already been paying, so I will gain a new app with nothing else really changing.

I guess I'll have to wait for April 1st to see I really feel about all this

I have mixed emotions, as well. I've been a Neon Alley subscriber since Day 1 and have really liked the service. I liked the idea of a linear TV stream, as well as the added "Catch Up" VOD service, which gave it a best-of-both-worlds feel. That said, I can't say I am terribly surprised that they went this route after the VOD implementation, which likely saw higher use than the stream. Giving the hosting duties to Hulu might have been the even-cheaper and less resource-intensive route.

I am happy to see them "expand", but doesn't this basically make Neon Alley more of a "brand" than an actual service (or more like aggregate "VizAnime.com" than the current version of NA)? What makes NA all that special, then? Is it going to be a special sub-section of Hulu or just another content provider (or even merely just replacing Viz's names on the videos there)? They are just putting dubbed & subbed videos on Hulu like everyone else.

I like the folks at NA and all and don't mean to rain on their parade, but I really don't get the point of NA's existence beyond Apr. 1st, I guess because it will look like a shadow of its former self by then and be merely a name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I am not so happy about this for a few reason, but he major concern I have is that Hulu Plus is a paid service and still has ads. If Neon Alley becomes free, will it have a paid subscription still available without ads?

I have Crunchyroll and I love not having ads and don't mind paying.

But, what will happen to Neon Alley's service on the PS3 and X360 and how will it be affected? Will it offer the paid service as usual, will it replace the paid service with free, will it have both, or will it no longer have service for them?
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed Neon alley when I could and didn't mind the 'channel' set up it had before. The new deal with Hulu though is going to get mixed reactions, depending on how it goes. The thing I like about Neon Alley is that the ads they had there were connected to the anime being played; Hulu on the other hand probably won't have something like that. People will have to sit through car, detergent, and who knows what other kinds of ads.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
I have Crunchyroll and I love not having ads and don't mind paying.

But, what will happen to Neon Alley's service on the PS3 and X360 and how will it be affected? Will it offer the paid service as usual, will it replace the paid service with free, will it have both, or will it no longer have service for them?

I suspect we'll still have the app, but they'll change the service to the new policies.

I don't mind Crunchyroll with ads either--I didn't get an iPad until last Christmas, and didn't know CR had a free web service. I don't have a lot of budget for more than one streaming subscription a month, and since up until now my PS3 and smart-TV apps only tapped into the Premium service, I kept thinking I had to wait for another free promotional month to finish up Outbreak Company and Kokoro Connect.
(Although it would be nice if we didn't keep seeing literally the exact same ad twice in a row, or three times in a row if we're joining a show in the middle.)

partysmores wrote:
Took 'em long enough.

Yeah, that was my reaction when I first saw the free trial:
"Scheduled TV? Really?? Confused Ever heard of this new stuff called 'On-demand Streaming'?--'Ranma 1/2 on Friday nights', that is SO Broadcast-cable!" Razz
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why Neon Alley wasn't on demand from the beginning. These days I don't think people care to be restricted to watching shows at specific times.

I certainly hope Neon Alley can be successful in the new format.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't get why Neon Alley wasn't on demand from the beginning. These days I don't think people care to be restricted to watching shows at specific times.

I certainly hope Neon Alley can be successful in the new format.

I think their channel dates back to the days when it was hoping to be an optional cable/satellite channel, just like Anime Network.
I remember those days. But I don't still live in them.
(Oh, sure, I still like to watch the same Netflix show on the same day every week, just for old time's sake, but I don't really do it--I haven't had to be right there to tune into watch a show on 8pm Tuesday since I dropped Agents of SHIELD.)

These are people who have seriously NOT read recent trends about "Cutting the cord". And double that if they're expecting to pitch it to the game-console/tablet crowd.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Really hope to see this make it's way to PS4
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It's depressing that we live in a world where everything revolves around advertising, even if we pay for it otherwise. They make no money off me with ads. Their ads for me are almost always LUXURY CARS that I will never be able to afford, or Axe Bodyspray which I can't stand the smell of lol.

Oh yes they make money off you, from views/ratings they get paid from sponsors.

Even with paid subscription, Hulu still has ads since subscriptions alone don't cover the typical costs from majors. Without the ads, the subscription prices would be higher. Maybe they should offer that 3rd option: an even higher subscription price for no ads at all.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
Kinda have mixed emotions on this. On one hand, Im happy to see them expand, which is cool for them. But I've been using Neon alley on my PS3, and that app wont be used anymore.

I have mixed emotions, as well. I've been a Neon Alley subscriber since Day 1 and have really liked the service. I liked the idea of a linear TV stream, as well as the added "Catch Up" VOD service, which gave it a best-of-both-worlds feel. That said, I can't say I am terribly surprised that they went this route after the VOD implementation, which likely saw higher use than the stream. Giving the hosting duties to Hulu might have been the even-cheaper and less resource-intensive route.

I am happy to see them "expand", but doesn't this basically make Neon Alley more of a "brand" than an actual service (or more like aggregate "VizAnime.com" than the current version of NA)? What makes NA all that special, then? Is it going to be a special sub-section of Hulu or just another content provider (or even merely just replacing Viz's names on the videos there)? They are just putting dubbed & subbed videos on Hulu like everyone else.

I like the folks at NA and all and don't mean to rain on their parade, but I really don't get the point of NA's existence beyond Apr. 1st, I guess because it will look like a shadow of its former self by then and be merely a name.

I've also got mixed emotions here (another first week or so subscriber - btw, did anyone else get their pin? Very Happy ). The Hulu Plus app on PS3 has issues. Last update made it so you have to re-set your PS remote control (if you have one) every time to get it to work right and the subtitles for their anime content, or at least the one show I've tried watching there lately subtitled, is messed up. Yellow text on a black box background - come on! Not only did I have problems reading it blocked out part of the picture (the yellow font I'm not big on but the black box was more of a problem IMO) and I couldn't figure out how to change it. I ended up having to move over to my Roku just to watch the show and the Roku Hulu Plus app for Roku 2 2012 (not the current Roku 2 - there's one that came out just before Roku 3 that isn't quite the current 2 and not quite the Roku 3) is bleh (but then again the PS3 one isn't much better even without the issue with the remote).

Sigh - I was missing the liner channel as it was (I've had to move and interstitials content (i.e. the shorts, music videos and wackiness). I hope ANNCast can get someone on in a few weeks and talk to them about this change (I'm all for letting Neon Alley/Viz have some time to hear feed back first before ANNCast might want to interview them).

My personal take on this sudden announcement is that there is more to this than just going the easy route with having Hulu Plus take over the technical side (not that ANNCast is going to mean we find out what is going on exactly - I'm just changing gears here Laughing ). The fact the app wasn't on PS4 even thought it was originally shown to be coming to that system has had me wondering what is going on in general with PSN. Toss in that PS Now is coming and that may also have streaming entertainment content and I have to wonder if this move has something to do with that issue as well. I guess the main thing we can maybe take away from this is whatever is going on with PS Now might be about to happen in April. That would be a interesting thing to look into/forward to, if so. (I may post again some more later - I just need to cut this short and get some dinner Smile ).
Contagiousmiley!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I myself also have mixed emotions along with everyone cause I've been with NA since the beginning and enjoyed some of the shows they put on there like K and Nura clan. But these days I only watch Naruto shippuden cause they have just been starting shows over to the beginning and I just suddenly lost interest in watching the channel daily but onces a week cause of the constant repeats
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
ShinRPGamer wrote:
Well seeing as I'm from Canada and we don't have Hulu I'm wondering what Viz is going to use as streaming for Canada. Crackle maybe?

This is what I'm curious about too.
This makes me scared if anything.

I've ranted on about VIZ's 'video player' for a good while now and how they don't have any outside-of-US service. Seriously curious if this will end up a US only thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4