• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Alley to Offer Free On-Demand Streaming Starting in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
• Shows in sub will be up in their entirety, while shows in dub, depending on the title, will only have a certain number of episodes up at a time, similar to how their Catch-Up service is now.

What the hell? Is it that hard to ask for a full anime series uploaded to Hulu dubbed? Especially shows that have been dubbed for a long time (and in Ranma's case, two decades now...).
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
• Shows in sub will be up in their entirety, while shows in dub, depending on the title, will only have a certain number of episodes up at a time, similar to how their Catch-Up service is now.

What the hell? Is it that hard to ask for a full anime series uploaded to Hulu dubbed? Especially shows that have been dubbed for a long time (and in Ranma's case, two decades now...).

Pretty sure they still want people to buy disc releases, and having everything available for free would make people less likely to do that.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

They said that some titles might be available in dub in their entirety.

In Ranma's case, however, they're probably wanting to focus on the brand new bluray release, so I doubt they'll put the whole show up at once. With other shows, though, like Buso Renkin or Nana, I can see them sticking the entire dub up all at once.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I mean... the shows are still up in their entirety subtitled. I can understand why they do that (except when they refuse to release a show to DVD...), but people can still watch the show for free subbed. That must not matter to them?
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Having mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm glad I won't have to pay for it, glad I can watch on my Wii and Wii U if I decide to since my PS3 is unreliable. On the other I will miss the live stream, I've watched it nearly every Friday night for almost a year and a half now and it's become almost as much of a ritual for me as Toonami Saturday nights and it feels it'll just be Viz's normal Hulu streams only with Dubs.
Butterflea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I have Hulu+ and the viz shows (tv at least, naruto/bleach movies, for example - no) have been there in their entirety, for quite some time (years). They have been the subbed versions only. So the only change will be adding some dubbed versions. The main question is how many dubs they will make available. I am concerned that they may really limit that end. But time will tell. I've been waiting for NA to land on Roku and Android before subscribing. Was hoping to one day be able to stream some of my favorite dubs. If there are enough of them, this is a fair solution for me. Though I would prefer a service without ads. If they only put up a handful of dubs for a show or half a series even, I'll be pretty disappointed.

There was an interesting Answerman a few months ago that might give some insights on Hulu/streaming: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-07-26
vegetta2976

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
So this happens April 1st. Is this some kind of early April fools joke?
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Jeez I feel like some kind of defender of Hulu Plus whenever it comes up. People always complain about the ads. Sure, I'd prefer if there were no ads too, but you have to understand why they're there.

Hulu is a very frequent updater of new shows, both popular and niche. The rate that they add stuff is pretty significant. This often includes simulcast or slightly delayed anime. And how do they get this constant stream of shows (beyond the network shows they have access to through their owners)? Ads! By offering payment as a portion of the ad revenue, Hulu can add shows with little risk. If no one watches a show, no big deal. Netflix on the other hand is much more picky with shows since they have to pay for each one. Just look at their anime sections. Hulu Plus destroys Netflix. Besides their original content (which Hulu Plus also has, but Netflix is way better), all the content Netflix gets is older.

If you compare Hulu Plus to Crunchyroll, well that's not really fair since Crunchyroll only focuses on anime (and Korean TV, but that's a separate fee) and Hulu Plus has much more content.

Also the length of Hulu ads seems crazy exaggerated on here. Compared to cable/broadcast it's much shorter. And of course there are a bunch of commercials during a movie. Shit is long. Have you guys ever tried watching a movie on cable? Takes forever.

I have Crunchyroll, Hulu Plus, and my Netflix sub I turn off and on. I think all three are great with each having their own strengths.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
^ The ads generally don't bother me. Neon Alley has ads too, although it helps that most of them are trailers for anime, RightStuf, Cardfight Vanguard, etc., instead of luxury car and soap commercials.

What bothered me the most about Hulu Plus when I used it was the constant freezing and skipping. It totally ruined the experience for me. Freezing I can somewhat tolerate as it waits to buffer, but skipping I simply CAN NOT STAND. I *HATE* having to rewind to see a part I missed because the stream suddenly decided to skip ahead a few seconds. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I certainly hope they've fixed the issue since then, or else the fine folks and Viz and Neon Alley will be losing one of their paying customers.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
My thought on Hulu Plus and the ads: Ok, I "get" why some people don't want to pay for service that also has ads. I'd be with them in a perfect world but this one isn't and we're stuck with this system. I do wish that if we have to have the ads we could also get more streaming content that isn't just web exclusive, i.e. stuff streamed to PS3 and Roku that isn't just available on the HuluPlus - things like Face Off. That seems to be messed up via cable companies and network rights but it ticks me off all the same. However, it is more of a non-anime show issue so I'll move on.

Something that has come to mind since yesterday about this move is that by going to HuluPlus (that is one thing by doing this - there are a number of reasons I can think of here) Neon Alley will not be in direct competition with Funimation, The Anime Network, and any upcoming combo from Sony (i.e. Playstation Now). The first two have subscription based VOD style services with no commercials, as well as download to own options, and by allowing their shows on NA they've been theoretically taking away subscribers/buyers from their services. Manga has a Roku app that has some of their stuff, plus Nozomi/TRSI stuff with I think commercials (been a while since I've used it) and a no commercial for 99¢ rental option (might be higher - like I said, been a while since I used it). On Playstation all seem to have Download to Own options (DTO).

That most likely made getting content for NA harder and harder to do. The problem here, IMO, isn't Funi and the other U.S. distribution companies involved per say but more the Japanese companies they license from. If what I keep hearing about this issue is true, the Japanese do not understand the way U.S. consumers use streaming verse DTO. The Japanese companies want sales figures in a way that seems to make streaming not work for them. They want unit sales verses however streaming sales work. Hulu, however, was set up by U.S. TV networks and most likely has some way of tracking things that much clearer than some of the other companies in the U.S. have. They also have name cache with Japanese companies who more likely think more highly of NBC and Universal than the smaller companies like Funimation and Sentai (heck, your average American is like that, as well). So going with Hulu is going to theoretically make the Japanese side of this much more happy.

Which just makes me just as ticked off at TAN as I was last week. DTO doesn't work for me, particularly with my PS3. I haven't bought into the Cloud model yet so I don't have space to go that route, plus I don't have a tablet. At the rate my life is going, I'm not going to have a tablet for a long time yet either (I've been trying to save up for one for at least two years now and not made any headway) Mad The DTO doesn't work for me and I want TAN dubs available to watch on my living room TV verse on the computer. If they'd just get a Roku or PS app or allow more of their shows on other services, maybe my frustration level would ratchet back down a little (I'd still have the cable provider blockage issues to deal with though) Sad .
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
, will transition to a free, ad-supported service affiliated with Hulu and Hulu Plus starting on April 1.

How will this work? You can't watch Hulu streams on any non-PC device unless you subscribe to Hulu+. Will this be restrained in that manner as well? Neon Alley never interested me for both the delivery method and the content but I'd but I'd be interested in testing it out if it was on consoles for free.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I hate to correct the article, but when Neon Alley announced they are going this way, they said they would inherit all the VizAnime.com content and that VizAnime.com would be shutting down. They also said they will still act as the premiere group for many of the series they are airing. So the part about VizAnime.com being teamed up with Hulu needs to be removed since VizAnime.com will be mreging with Neon Alley.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would be nice if they clarified the point on whether they were just becoming a Hulu channel or are keeping a separate interface and using Hulu/+ for the long-haul up until the last few feet. The original announcement reads even more strongly toward the former, which leaves my opnion of it at almost the same place as pre-transition.
vegetta2976 wrote:
So this happens April 1st. Is this some kind of early April fools joke?

... and then there's this issue.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time viewing it as some practical joke given how that would likely piss a lot of people off; it would be suicide to announce this and then go "April Fools!"
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Also the length of Hulu ads seems crazy exaggerated on here. Compared to cable/broadcast it's much shorter. ...

Compared to the cable news that I watch sometimes it is, but then I normally watch the cable news on DVR so fast forward through the commercials, so from my perspective, its more ads on Hulu. Compared to the cable shows I normally watch, its much more ads on Hulu, since the only ads on HBO are ads for other shows on HBO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4