• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Friendship is Magi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I don't love the casting choices for Magi. The choices for the main characters are fine, and they do a fine job, but a lot of the side characters fall into that weird cartoon trap where everyone has to have some kind of bizarre affectation. It's like everyone's trying to do a bit from the early 90s. I don't know why that's still so prevalent now, especially since it doesn't really add to the characters, and all it does is make some of the characters unnecessarily cartoonish.

It's hard to describe, but for instance, some of the guards have that "I'm speaking in a thin, reedy voice so you know I'm kind of a bad guy, but that also maybe in a previous life I was a sorcerer for a Ren Faire" affection, while some of the nomads have this "I'm trying to sound foreign but also trying really hard not to do a racist white-guy-doing-an-Asian-voice" affectation. It drives me nuts. Just do a normal voice.

Sigh, Bang/Zoom strikes again.

While I'm sighing, why do you consider it racist for a "white guy" to do an "Asian voice" (a phrasing and an outlook that, ironically, sounds rather "racist")? I had hoped that Family Guy had gotten us past the misplaced outrage at voice acting "blackface" and the like. SMH.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Yowamushi Pedal is definitely one of the best series of the season. Onoda is so adorable and easy to root for.

IIRC the second half of Magi veers from a original source material a bit but it seems to have gotten back on track in the second season. Things are pretty intense in the manga right now. Sinbad... *____*
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I don't love the casting choices for Magi. The choices for the main characters are fine, and they do a fine job, but a lot of the side characters fall into that weird cartoon trap where everyone has to have some kind of bizarre affectation. It's like everyone's trying to do a bit from the early 90s. I don't know why that's still so prevalent now, especially since it doesn't really add to the characters, and all it does is make some of the characters unnecessarily cartoonish.

It's hard to describe, but for instance, some of the guards have that "I'm speaking in a thin, reedy voice so you know I'm kind of a bad guy, but that also maybe in a previous life I was a sorcerer for a Ren Faire" affection, while some of the nomads have this "I'm trying to sound foreign but also trying really hard not to do a racist white-guy-doing-an-Asian-voice" affectation. It drives me nuts. Just do a normal voice.

Guess I'll need to give it a listen for myself then. Thanks for your input.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3