• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Concept Art Revealed For Stalled Live-Action Akira Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexander55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Concept art looks great but I can't entrust the project to someone who has very little experience with Anime and Manga. And this isn't Akira without having Tetsuo, whom is exceptionally important to the plot. I can't imagine him being played by some black dude named "Cyrus." Its just doesn't provide the same experience.

And besides, Hollywood isn't good with dealing with Anime/Manga series. They should just stick with their actions, drama, and superheroes.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
And besides, Hollywood isn't good with dealing with Anime/Manga series. They should just stick with their actions, drama, and superheroes.
Nope, never seen any of those come out of Japan before.

I really don't care what happens as Akira never entertained me but I would like it if more people from the source material's country were involved in projects like this.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
Concept art looks great but I can't entrust the project to someone who has very little experience with Anime and Manga. And this isn't Akira without having Tetsuo, whom is exceptionally important to the plot. I can't imagine him being played by some black dude named "Cyrus." Its just doesn't provide the same experience.

At least they're actually making it look like the source material, unlike Dragonball Evolution.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Concept art looks great but I can't entrust the project to someone who has very little experience with Anime and Manga.
Yeah, I guess experience making movies means nothing.

Quote:
And this isn't Akira without having Tetsuo, whom is exceptionally important to the plot.
Yeah the name is whats important, not the actual character and what he does in the story, because I mean they changed the name and that means in no way will the named character be able to fill the same role in this adaptation.

Quote:
And besides, Hollywood isn't good with dealing with Anime/Manga series.
Hmm... How many of those have thier been?

Astro Boy-A co production as imagi was from Hong Kong. It mostly retained the look and feel of the manga/anime.

The Guyver-Is this a Hollywood movie? I doubt it, but it dosen't matter because these two are solid adaptations.

Fist of the North Star-I don't think this is a Hollywood movie. At least not with the level of production values that Akira would receive. It's bad, but I don't think this should count.

Oldboy-More based on the movie and it's main flaws being that it was too much like the original Korean movie.

Speed Racer-Kind of a perfect adaptation. Captures the feel of the American version, but the look of the anime unlike any other Japanese movie.

Dragonball-Yes it's bad.

And thats it actually. Things like Blood don't count as those are for sure not American movies. It really just comes down to Speed Racer and Dragonball. Speed Racer being a perfect adaption made with care and budget and DB being DB. Seems kind of silly to judge everything based on Dragonball especially in this age where this material is treated with much more respect. Look at comic book movies. It's a different time from crap in the 90s. These properties are serious business and are cared for a bit more. Things can go bad, but it's hardly some automatic thing.

Quote:
They should just stick with their actions, drama, and superheroes.
And their sci-fi movies, thier romance movies, thier family movies, sports movies, war movies, historic movies, and so on. Hollywood has produced some fantastic movies. Not sure why everyone is down when thier isn't even that much of a precedent to go on and whats there is pretty positive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
gojira89 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tetsuo? O_O

Looks like it and the other guy looks like Chris Evans.

Oh no. That's terrible. Confused And (though I don't normally complain about this sort of thing) not a single Asian in the cast. Not even for the character named Kaneda. You're disgraceful, Hollywood.

Well, they aren't officially casted yet.

Just the concept art alone shows that they aren't interested in an Asian cast. But who knows. This could have been made awhile ago and JUST MAYBE they'll actually cast this right. Doubt it though.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
when I saw the fist two concept images I was all Smile

when I saw the images for the characters and read this line in the article linked by AnimenexuS

Collet-Serra: I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don’t think the main characters are the protagonists. What I’m hoping is to bring characters.

Collet-Serra: Nobody’s interesting. Tetsuo’s interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That’s part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They’re used as a way to move the other philosophy forward."

I was all
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Tetsuo's face looks blatantly copied from Joseph Gordon Levitt's from the Mysterious Skin poster: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b8/Mysterious_skin.jpg/220px-Mysterious_skin.jpg

I know this isn't intended to be used for a whole lot, but still.

And Kaneda just looks strange, but the rest of this doesn't look awful.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Pacific Rim has Asian cast. (How many of ya guys have seen that?) Wolverine?
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
Are you ready talking bike?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does Kaneda look white if he's the only whose name isn't changed?

And from the look of it, why were they going to cast Mike Myers in the role?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does Kaneda look white if he's the only whose name isn't changed?

And from the look of it, why were they going to cast Mike Myers in the role?

What's funny is that even though Tetsuo had his name Americanized, he still looks somewhat Asian.

If the black guy really is Yamagata, spoiler[it'll prove once again that Hollywood loves killing off the brothers].
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Concept art is nice and all, but it's almost never an indication of how the final product will turn out. Even for the films with great set design, like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, the concept art was usually even more fantastical and unbelievable. It's basically a way for the artists to show their stuff, but usually not fully realized. Then again, these are just some urban streets, nothing too fancy.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The two first concept art are actually okay, but the character design looks out of place.

By the way, I'm suprised that no one has linked to this video yet. Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
another last airbender incoming?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3