• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki, Rumiko Takahashi Nominated for Eisner Hall of Fame

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that Takahashi is getting recognized for writing the same characters over and over in every manga she's written.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki, eh? Well, there's nothing like a retirement (in name only) to make someone deserve an Eisner! In all seriousness, really: he should have gotten one way back with Castle of Cagliostro. Naussica and Mononoke were too big to overlook for this kind of accolade.

Rumiko Takahashi? The woman is a workhorse. Ignoring Rin-ne, which is pretty much off of the radar, she's produced hit after hit. Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha, One-Pound Gospel, Ranma 1/2... she's very much shaped the romantic comedy genre in Japan, with some of the most influential works under her belt.

Also: what kind of world do we live in where Phillipe Druillet hasn't won an Eisner? A few of my father's family from Colombia sent us a copy of Loan Sloan a long time ago, which is currently a prize jewel upon my shelf. That thing is a work of art. Every page is a feast for the eyes. Some time after, I was graced with a chance to buy Yragael Urm, which now stands right next to LS. Not quite as good, but impressive nonetheless. Druillet ought to be a shoo-in for that Eisner.
Zalene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Good to know that Takahashi is getting recognized for writing the same characters over and over in every manga she's written.

But... But... The male protagonists fits so well with their male antagonist (well, rival) as a pair. Like Ranma & Ryouga, Inuyasha & Koga.

Takahashi-sensei DO deserve this nomination, especially as she is the most recieved female mangaka in Japan. Well, my hat's off for her works and I wish that her newest project (RIN-NE) becomes animated. Seems like a good plot to work out with and the male protagonist have already turned me on.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
If we are talking manga, Rumiki Takahashi is a HUGE Legend compared to Miyazaki, she is way way way bigger as far as manga goes.

There is no greater female mangaka than Takahashi and has demonstrated her talent by making several huge hits, she is known not by one but several huge hits and classics, that speaks volumes of her talent, being able to make hit after hit and classic after classic, that is the real challenge.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
If we are talking manga, Rumiki Takahashi is a HUGE Legend compared to Miyazaki, she is way way way bigger as far as manga goes.

There is no greater female mangaka than Takahashi and has demonstrated her talent by making several huge hits, she is known not by one but several huge hits and classics, that speaks volumes of her talent, being able to make hit after hit and classic after classic, that is the real challenge.

If she didn't INVENT anime comedy in her manga in the 80's (back when manga was fights, spaceships, Doraemon and magical girls for the kiddies), she sure RE-invented it.

Yeah, I think she's a crabby ol' androphobe with neurotic parent issues too (she hasn't come out, has she?), but she took the Japanese comic idea of every ensemble character having their own looney feet-of-clay, and made it music.
Albeit, not as much as Mamoru Oshii or Kazuo Yamazaki did (like Holmes says, she may not have genius, but she inspires genius in others), but where would anime comedy be today without its heavily armed mega-billionaires, cute psychotic bi-polar girls, or college students with humiliating bad-luck streaks?
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Takahashi-sensei is my FAVORITE mangaka! Her works brought me into the world of anime and she definitely deserves this recognition! It's also awesome how Miyazaki-sensei has been nominated too! There hasn't been a single thing he's created that I haven't liked!
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Reading the other nominees, I think Alan Moore is going to be no-brainer (Watchmen, anyone?).
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Pretty sure this will be included in Miyazaki's acceptance speech. Followed by a pelvis thrust.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
Reading the other nominees, I think Alan Moore is going to be no-brainer (Watchmen, anyone?).

The three standouts are Moore, Wrightson, and O'Neil. All hugely influential creators in their own right. Moore is of course the biggest name on that list, though if Moore won I don't know if he would accept it. He basically hates the industry these days and wants nothing to do wit it, so I can see him turning it down. If that were to happen, I'd want it to go to O'Neil. The stuff that man was doing at DC in the 60s and 70s was nothing short of magical.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan (don't judge). She deserves this!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
This is a great achievement for these 2. I'm glad to see Rumiko Takahashi getting recognition from Eisner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
For the longest time, Rumiko Takahashi was the highest earning mangaka year after year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1