• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sculptors Document the Making of a Life Sized Hatsune Miku Statue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king 47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand the obsession with Miku. And am I the only one who is really annoyed by this music?
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
name of the song! WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SONG? SOMEONE TELL ME !!!!!!!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
I still don't understand the obsession with Miku. And am I the only one who is really annoyed by this music?

Yes--Normally I can't stand nameless generic J-pop either, but dang, these songs are actually pretty GOOD: Like ABBA songs, the catchier melodies root themselves into your subconscious longer than other pop hits. Very Happy
My iPod is already stocked with at least half the soundtrack from the Diva F game, and I don't know how many times I'll flick back on "MMORPG Addicts Anthem" or "Negaposi Continues" without realizing.* (Turn your back on the first star, near the corner of the second week, say no three times...)

The Japanese obsession with "Snow Miku" even has me a little puzzled, though.
(First time I ever heard of it was the traditional-New-Year's-singer game costume add-on from three years ago, and that seemed normal.)
A life-sized Gundam statue, I'd be impressed, but a life-sized Miku--that's, oo, what, five-foot-six?--is technically called a "store mannequin".

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
name of the song! WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SONG? SOMEONE TELL ME !!!!!!!

Pretty sure it's right there in the video: Light Falls by yuxuki waga. Anime hyper
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Now that looks good
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Neither do I and, to answer your question: no, you are not the only one.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

You're definitely not the only one; seems like almost half the anime/manga/pony/etc. fanmass has a big beef with vocaloids. Though I'd be willing to bet that there are at least a few songs out of the tens of thousands available that you'd like. The songs you've probably heard are just a snow flea on the tip of the iceberg.

The obsession with Miku specifically, as opposed to the dozens of other vocaloids, many of which arguably sound better... no one really understands that. Marketing mascot status and unique appearance, mostly.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The obsession with Miku specifically, as opposed to the dozens of other vocaloids, many of which arguably sound better... no one really understands that. Marketing mascot status and unique appearance, mostly.

Well, she's.....cute. Anime smile
And feels the most like an "anime character" (not "anime styled", but an anime character, who would otherwise have her own cult-audienced show). The other vocaloid personas in the Diva games all seem to have the same anime supporting-character tropes (Luka would be the "sophisticated one"), but beyond just "cute", it's not often that a character even in a TV series has the same instant unexplainable "It" that Lum, Shampoo or even Usagi had.
There was some YouTube footage of a supposed "Miku anime series pilot" (probably fan-made), showing Miku acting like the arrogant tsundere high school girl suggested in "The World Is Mine", but all the fans said "No...That's not HER! Shocked "

There are lots of the music videos showing her as Generic cute J-Idol bouncing around in magic sparkly-changing videogame outfits in front of concert fans waving glow-leeks, but the OP-like Intro to the Diva F game (set to "Odds & Ends") gives you some idea of where they could have gone if it'd come out of an anime series, not unlike Idolmaster.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

Well, technically it's auto-tune, and that automatically (ha!) turns a lot of people off.

Anyhow, this statue reminds us of a new expensive toy we've been playing with all month:

That little bitch took about 7 hours to print! Laughing
(We still have to do some clean up to get rid of the supports, then maybe paint.)

Here's some other samples:

The Enterprise has to be printed in separate parts which snap together (and each part took hours).

Anyways, talking about life-size statue, how about that Sonico? Very Happy

Could ya guys read that warning sign up on the back wall? Laughing

It's funny that they actually have to put such warnings up.
Here's how low and close up ya can get: Wink

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1