• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuichi Nakamura Has Guest Role on This Week's My Little Pony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also you ignore all the negative things anime do! Wanna talk about immature, how about a medium dedicated to making new fap material for lonely Horney otaku. Your "adult" Anime like Family Guy is much more Immature then most children's programs.

Oh, please do continue!...Your diplomacy and anime-crossover awareness are winning new convert fans by the truckload, breaking down intolerance and creating new understanding for the fandom! Razz
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also you ignore all the negative things anime do! Wanna talk about immature, how about a medium dedicated to making new fap material for lonely Horney otaku. Your "adult" Anime like Family Guy is much more Immature then most children's programs.

Oh, please do continue!...Your diplomacy and anime-crossover awareness are winning new convert fans by the truckload, breaking down intolerance and creating new understanding for the fandom! Razz

I don't care about any of that, I just can't stand small minded hypocrites that try to act like their animu is so superior to everything else. Your entitled to your opinion, and that's fine. But acting like American cartoons are lowly serfs while your precious animu are gods saving animation is ridiculous!

It's as C.S. Lewis said....

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Most anime are just as juvenile content wise as their American & European counterparts, even if it is in a different way. Only real difference is they are made to sale manga/light novels/ visual novels/ body pillows/etc instead of just toys &/or dolls.

Both American & Japanese animation have ample amounts of great & horrid works.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Fans say a lot of things which are not true.. most comparisons to anime of western properties are done so out of some desperate attempt to fit into another subculture.

(....Reeeeeallllly? Wouldn't think that goes both ways, would you? Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
And I firmly believe that the "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "The Big Lebowski", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" references among other things to give a friendly nod to the adults watching.

And like most anime fans who've despaired of US animation, I firmly believe it's immature attention-deficited ex-CN Fosters/Powerpuff animators sniggeringly trying to amuse themselves.
(Ie., less like "Wreck-It Ralph", and more like the Disney animators jarringly trying to cram Chuck Jones fan-homage refs into "Princess & the Frog".)

If you're trying to persuade us that that's a good thing for the evolution of animated storytelling....boy, have you got it bad. Confused

keep up the concern trolling

the best part of these hypersensitive brony vs anime fan nerdrage arguments is seeing idiots try to grimdark childrens shows and talk about how their dumb kids shows are better than other dumb kids shows
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
And I firmly believe that the "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "The Big Lebowski", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" references among other things to give a friendly nod to the adults watching.

I must confess and admit I always found those to be very cheap methods of having adult appeal. It is very similar to the way most animated movies out of America will feature celebrity voices in order to hook the adult crowd who may sit through a children's movie to hear a celebrity they like. Rather than rely on the writing or characters, it relies on pop-culture and referential humor to do it instead. It feels rather insulting to be frank. I would prefer more effort to be put into the writing aspect of the show to appeal to me as an adult, which I find to be the case is more common in anime. Anime is more likely to have coherent and consistent plot-lines, as well as more diverse and mature writting. Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite children's anime, and I have yet to see something similar out of America. Censorship does seem to be a factor, and perhaps is why most of the time adult appeal in cartoons means pop culture references. I do not think I should reward a show or give it a pass simply because it makes a reference to Star Trek.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

I must confess and admit I always found those to be very cheap methods of having adult appeal. It is very similar to the way most animated movies out of America will feature celebrity voices in order to hook the adult crowd who may sit through a children's movie to hear a celebrity they like. Rather than rely on the writing or characters, it relies on pop-culture and referential humor to do it instead. It feels rather insulting to be frank. I would prefer more effort to be put into the writing aspect of the show to appeal to me as an adult, which I find to be the case is more common in anime. Anime is more likely to have coherent and consistent plot-lines, as well as more diverse and mature writting. Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite children's anime, and I have yet to see something similar out of America. Censorship does seem to be a factor, and perhaps is why most of the time adult appeal in cartoons means pop culture references. I do not think I should reward a show or give it a pass simply because it makes a reference to Star Trek.

Truly good & "mature". Writing in any medium is arguably very rare.

As for pop culture references, that's for better or worse part of American media. It is not the main appeal of MLP or any other popular cartoon ( Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Regular Show etc). But an element, people like set toons because they find them well written & executed for what they are.

Edit: but I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree, defending American animation on a forum dedicated to Japanese animation, so I'll shut up now and move on to more productive endeavors.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Comparing MLP to Precure/magical girl stuff seems pretty dumb, they're nothing alike. I don't get why bronies keep trying to say it's just like a magical girl anime.

If you're going to compare MLP to any anime it'd be Jewelpet. Cute jewel-themed animal critters getting into all kinds of crazy adventures and hijinks. What little I've seen of MLP and what people here have said it's kind of similar, I guess. Jewelpet is called 'Gintama for Girls' in Japan because of the silly comedy and parodies of old anime and movies like Ashita no Joe and Flashdance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIzaLiBogc

But from what I saw I found Jewelpet more interesting because it has more of a plot/story/character focus but that seems to be the usual with anime I guess since they tend to be more accepting of plot focused shows.

I also like how Jewelpet makes fun of the whole furry aspect.

Even though Jewelpets and humans do get married/have sex in the show it's usually played for laughs. Meanwhile I doubt Hasbro would ever acknowledge that appeal MLP has with furries in America which seems pretty dishonest and alienating of its fans.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

If you're going to compare MLP to any anime it'd be Jewelpet. Cute jewel-themed animal critters getting into all kinds of crazy adventures and hijinks. What little I've seen of MLP and what people here have said it's kind of similar, I guess.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Laughing

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Even though Jewelpets and humans do get married/have sex in the show it's usually played for laughs. Meanwhile I doubt Hasbro would ever acknowledge that appeal MLP has with furries in America which seems pretty dishonest and alienating of its fans.

Oh goodness no! Isn't it enough high school girls lookalikes. Smile

Let young girls shows keep belong to young girls - others could tag along but as tag-alongs. Last thing we need are otaku co-opting young girls' domain, like: Very Happy

"Adult gamers act like small children by playing game meant for little girls, refusing to share"

EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Let young girls shows keep belong to young girls - others could tag along but as tag-alongs. Last thing we need are otaku co-opting young girls' domain, like: Very Happy

The picture looks so much like the Japanese social image, you'd swear reporters had HIRED those girls for the shot.

Again, to compare to the subbed-Moon fans: We didn't MIND that little girls watched the dubbed afternoon show for the little-girl appeal--we didn't insult them for liking "You liked those voices?" or say "Oh, you've got the show all wrong!"- but we didn't barge them out to protect our Neato Lifestyle Trend either. We just thought "Yeah....You've got taste. Very Happy "

(Over another board, I'd innocently made a joke about the Let It Go'er cult of Frozen fangirls centrating entire fantasies on believing that one Disney song was now an Oprah-like guide to life, responded to Time magazine calling them a "cult", and joked that the fans were acting, quote, "like Bronies with icicles." Immediately, they all banded together, accused me of "trolling", and all wrote to the mods to have me kicked off, lest I dare accuse them of acting like a so-called "cult".
Either that, or apparently, even they don't want to be compared to the dreaded B-word. Razz )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The picture looks so much like the Japanese social image, you'd swear reporters had HIRED those girls for the shot.

The photos are from Japanese Tweets.

EricJ2 wrote:

(Over another board, I'd innocently made a joke about the Let It Go'er cult of Frozen fangirls centrating entire fantasies on believing that one Disney song was now an Oprah-like guide to life, responded to Time magazine calling them a "cult", and joked that the fans were acting, quote, "like Bronies with icicles." Immediately, they all banded together, accused me of "trolling", and all wrote to the mods to have me kicked off, lest I dare accuse them of acting like a so-called "cult".
Either that, or apparently, even they don't want to be compared to the dreaded B-word. Razz )

See, that's what ya get. Laughing
Try doing that too with co-opting otaku, and you'd be on the receiving worse end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3