• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Their Biggest Live-Action Anime Adaptation Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Supermutant: I hate the Wachowski Speed Racer, too, but the anime was never big in Japan in the first place, so...

That's probably why the Japanese didn't see/remember it, but over here, we got a Speed Racer movie--and a, ahem, Kimba movie, ifyaknowhatImean Rolling Eyes --for the same reason we're STILL getting a danged Akira movie "someday":
When the US anime craze first broke in the mid/late 90's, no one had heard of "Japanimation" except for the old fogeys who said "Sure I've seen it!--I watched Speed Racer and Kimba as a kid!" Oh, and we would've gotten Star Blazers next, if Godzilla had been a hit.

And as one critic put it, "I don't know what I was expecting a Speed Racer movie to look like, but it sure wasn't THIS." And he meant it as a compliment. Very Happy
The Wachowski Speed Racer was sort of the anti-DB:E--Instead of apologizing for the origins, or trying to compromise on the "real world" problems, they dove in and CREATED the entire world of the series. Right down to Spritle's beanie, Inspector Detector's beard, and Emile Hirsch's leap-and-pose as he jumps out of the car after the race.
Looking back, it was probably the first hint of Larry & Lana's "nutty" Cloud Atlas phase, but at least they had a coherent story to work with and the toybox of an entire established world to play in.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Shame that Last Airbender couldn't have been a voting option, it might've beaten Dragon Ball Evolution (or come in a close second). I personally think Last Airbender is worse because DBE is hilariously bad at times whereas Last Airbender is depressingly bad at all times.

I agree. Too bad it isn't considered an anime. I wonder what the votes would have been if it was included..?
unready

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Araki: This is about live-action movies, not tv shows.

Although all the "winners" were indeed movies, I see no such restriction mentioned in the article itself (English here or even in the original Japanese linked article).

So there were movies I didn't know existed. I guess that's lucky. In the meantime, perhaps voters forgot to hate the Gantz movies.

(In a side note, one of the side bar items on the original Japanese page when I just looked was Ellen Page's coming out. I wouldn't have thought Japan cared...)
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
They forgot that Ranma live action, it was pretty terrible too...but then again, Ranma itself is crap enough already.
I haven't seen the live action movie so I can't comment on it. But how can you consider the Ranma 1/2 series as crap when it's one of the best series by Rumiko Takahashi?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Shame that Last Airbender couldn't have been a voting option, it might've beaten Dragon Ball Evolution (or come in a close second). I personally think Last Airbender is worse because DBE is hilariously bad at times whereas Last Airbender is depressingly bad at all times.
Not an anime

For me it doesn't matter. We have a fantastic animated epic that got a live-action adaptation. And it was a terrible adaptation at that. And Avatar is different from a live action Scooby Doo or Flintstones stinker because those shows were always episodic comedies where plot doesn't really matter. Avatar had this plot that went on for three seasons and a movie which attempted to condense a third of that into a 90 minute run time and failed spectacularly. They might all be animated, but it would be hard to say they're at all equivalent. Most people would agree Avatar has more in common with anime than with Scooby Doo.

I'm curious how an American poll would go, I mean, did anyone see the Fist of the North Star monstrosity? That this is pretty damn epic bad (not sure if it or DBE is worse, but Last Airbender beats them both)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Avatar had this plot that went on for three seasons and a movie which attempted to condense a third of that into a 90 minute run time and failed spectacularly. They might all be animated, but it would be hard to say they're at all equivalent. Most people would agree Avatar has more in common with anime than with Scooby Doo.

Even worse in that Shyamalan tried to film it as a two-hour-plus epic (he would Rolling Eyes ), and Paramount chopped it down to 100min. for a "kids" audience.
In the movie, we jump directly from Aang being discovered in the ice, to his already being thawed, pacified, dressing back at the village, and saying "Sorry for what happened back there."
Uh, hello, who, whaa, what DID happen "back there"?--Did we skip a reel?

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I've only seen Casshern and I was like what the hell. I am curious to see Gatchaman.

If you're a Gatchaman fan, save yourself the time and energy. I enjoyed it enough seeing it raw in Tokyo in opening week last year, but when I later got to see an English-subtitled version at the local Japanese Film Festival back home a couple of months later, the dialogue and better understanding of the plot point showed its weaknesses.

mrsatan wrote:
I don't know if I'd put Yamato on this list. I hated the gender-swapping and other needless changes, but I'd say that movie was just average.

The gender changes didn't bother me. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the woeful design changes for the Cosmo Tiger and Cosmo Zero (what the heck is it with the obsession with forward-swept wings?). Enjoyable in its own right, but to me the most important thing it did was pave the way for Yamato 2199 to be made (which was greenlit on the back of the live-action movie's box office success).
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

I agree. Too bad it isn't considered an anime. I wonder what the votes would have been if it was included..?

It would be negligible, ATLA was never popular in Japan in fact I heard they disliked it because the Fire Nation are Japanese influenced and they didn't like being portrayed as the bad guys. It's a shame really because by season three icy becomes pretty obvious that the Fire Nation are not evil it's just Ozai and military misleading the populace and it more nuanced than that. Heck Azula is spoiler[mentally ill not really evil thanks to her upbringing.]
Panoptican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Some day if I'm bored enough I might try the DBZ film for giggles. We'll see.

If you go into the DBZ movie with the right mindset and some friends, it can actually be pretty fun to watch in a so bad it's good way. At least, that's what happened when I watched it with some friends. It helped that none of us were serious DBZ fans, so we weren't offended by the movie, but we still had some decent general knowledge of what DBZ should be. It's also only 85 minutes, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
On the positive, at least they kind of made up for the live-action Fist of the North Star with Man of Steel. That's as close as you're going to get to an unofficial "authentic" version of the manga/anime.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
For me it doesn't matter. We have a fantastic animated epic that got a live-action adaptation. And it was a terrible adaptation at that. And Avatar is different from a live action Scooby Doo or Flintstones stinker because those shows were always episodic comedies where plot doesn't really matter. Avatar had this plot that went on for three seasons and a movie which attempted to condense a third of that into a 90 minute run time and failed spectacularly. They might all be animated, but it would be hard to say they're at all equivalent. Most people would agree Avatar has more in common with anime than with Scooby Doo.

Well, that comparison no longer applies to Scooby Doo as its latest series, Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, actually did feature quite the ongoing plot that got very serious and dark as it went on (in fact, Season 2 had a few moments that I'm shocked Cartoon Network allowed spoiler[it's cut away before we see it, but the mere implication that a teenage girl was gunned down is pretty rough]).

In terms of TLA vs DBE, for me DBE wins worst easily. Last Airbender was clearly made by someone who had actually seen the show, they just merely messed up most of it. But a few things were right, the music was good, the sets and costumes mostly worked, and the actors for Iroh and Zuko were tolerable. Dragonball Evolution had NONE of that going for it, and it's debatable if the people who made it ever actually bothered to watch any Dragonball or based it all of some plot summaries they read. When I start hearing Goku will start using elemental attacks, I'm just wondering where the heck they got that from.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Could you ever do a live DB and keep it original? Doubtful. I don't see Dragon Ball working live without a 200 billion budget or so.

Out of 600 like 100 show, what is up?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the Space Battleship Yamato live action should be on there, it was actually pretty decent. From the ones I have seen from that list (only 3) though, yeah they were pretty s***ty.

Where is the crappy Street Fighter live action? That should be on there. That's more relevant to a bad video game movie list I guess though.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Could you ever do a live DB and keep it original? Doubtful. I don't see Dragon Ball working live without a 200 billion budget or so.
doctordoom85 wrote:
Dragonball Evolution had NONE of that going for it, and it's debatable if the people who made it ever actually bothered to watch any Dragonball or based it all of some plot summaries they read. When I start hearing Goku will start using elemental attacks, I'm just wondering where the heck they got that from.

Their first order of business was to take all the "Dragon World" ancient-China-planet setting out of it, which would have brought down the budget, and into more of a "contemporary" setting.
Obviously, they overdid it at first, but by the time they were finished filming, the fans were up in arms, so you can see the production try to backpedal and make it series-faithful with the...changes they had left.
(As you can see them try to do a sort of canyon/mountain-peak thing for the climax.)

Since Master Roshi can't live on a desert island, he lives in a nice house in the middle of a ground-zero blast miles from the city (so he's still "remote", you see)...And since they can't get into Seiyans yet, Goku spoiler[turning into his ape-form to battle Piccolo is merely that he's the reincarnation of the monkey-king god that battled Piccolo centuries ago]. (Oh, and since there's no desert, Yamcha is more of a city surfer-delinquent bandit.)
Bulma (who Emmy Rossum steals) has a fashionable streak of blue hair, and still carries CapsuleCo devices that fold out, instead of appearing with a "Bomb!"

So, maybe not 100% accurate, but it's not like Tim Burton and Linda Woolverton did it, either. Razz

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Where is the crappy Street Fighter live action? That should be on there. That's more relevant to a bad video game movie list I guess though.

C'mon, that has iconic stuff! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4