• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: OniAi BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
^
And that's the huge difference. That's a big part of the reason why a title like Koi Kaze gets a partial pass; it's the most sensitive, carefully handled treatment of incest that you will ever see in anime. (That it's one of the best-written anime series period also doesn't hurt.) And don't think for a minute that some people still don't keep it at arm's length despite that.

Can't speak to Ceres, as I've never seen it, but the sensationalizing Angel Sanctuary probably gets a pass because it portrays the incest angle in an unequivocally negative - even destructive - light. And the "anything goes" environment of hentai content is a whole 'nother story. Companies who license that stuff don't give a damn about the content as long as it looks attractive and has lots of nudity and sex.

OniAi, OTOH, champions incest so brazenly that its lead female character loudly and proudly shouts out her incestuous intent and even regards it as a relationship advantage.

Of course, as I very specifically tried to illustrate in my review, the incest element really has nothing to do with why this is a bad series.

As to the discussion about adoption in Japan, that reminded me of the movie Barefoot Gen 2, which picks up the story of the title character a couple of years after the end of WWII, when Japan was still a total mess and slowly rebuilding. One very damning point brought up in that movie is that Japanese civilians at the time had essentially no regard for the welfare of war orphans. Homeless orphans starving or freezing to death was apparently a fairly common occurrence at that time, and people barely batted an eye at it or lifted a finger to help them out. I have to think there's a link between that and current attitudes about child adoption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Game of Thrones is full of in your face incest. It is a major back story plot point, and with Cersei and Jaime Lannister it is an active major force driving the story. Doesn't seem to bother many people, as it is one of the most popular shows on TV and the incest is a major part of the story.

It isn't presented as fetish material in Game of Thrones.

You have a point there.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
OniAi, OTOH, champions incest so brazenly that its lead female character loudly and proudly shouts out her incestuous intent and even regards it as a relationship advantage.
It has been a while since I caught this on streaming, but I never got the impression it was "championing" incest, or saying anything positive about it at all. To me, it was just the dumb single character trait assigned to a girl in a harem show to create comedic situations. I don't think it would do much for the incest fetishist.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Key wrote:
It has been a while since I caught this on streaming, but I never got the impression it was "championing" incest, or saying anything positive about it at all. To me, it was just the dumb single character trait assigned to a girl in a harem show to create comedic situations. I don't think it would do much for the incest fetishist.
Incest fetishists have standards?! Shocked
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Not liking a genre/work doesn't mean you don't have something interesting to say about it.
Which would be a good argument if this review had literally anything interesting to say
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
Not liking a genre/work doesn't mean you don't have something interesting to say about it.
Which would be a good argument if this review had literally anything interesting to say

Can't you just pretend Theron ended the review with "If you like harem romances based on incest, then you'll love OniAi!"? Wink
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
It certainly has one of the more interesting openings going for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3